What temp to put winter tires on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When we lived in Alberta, we often drove through the high mountain passes and could run into snow in almost any month. So I had a set of high performance all season radials and a set of winter radials. So if I ran into a little snow with the all season radials on, there was no harm done. [I find it impossible to drive on snow with high performance summer radials.]

Since I used to change my summer/winter wheels myself, my changeover to winter tires was when the weather forecaster said heavy snow. It was important to be able to change them over myself because the tire shops would be booked up for days.

Now that I'm on coastal BC, my snow tires rest quietly in the garage. On those few (theoretical at least) days with snow or ice I'll just stay home. If we had a prolonged breakout of snow I could put on the winter radials.

I put mine on yesterday here in Central Illinois. Michelin Xi2s for the third year on my Accent. I noticed this year that one is mounted backward on the rim.
33.gif

You put them on during the first snowfall

When you see this, you run for the jack and impact

The suffering tells you that you're doing a good job

If you get more snow, you get to play the fun game of
"Install them before you lose them till spring"

mTl5xv4.jpg

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
You put them on during the first snowfall

mTl5xv4.jpg

Looks like nice UV storage!

I know, they'll get properly stored after the season

They were left out from there original test ride back in September

They did have a tarp over them, must've blown away

Nothing breaks in snow tires like 500 miles of highway driving in 80° weather

Nice thing about being a tech and having tires stored at work. I run three sets of tires (well, actually four if you count track tires) summer/winter/intermediate. I can switch back and forth between them daily if I want.

Got an appnmnt for 10 AM the 27th for my first ever set of dedicated snowtires. Altimax Artics on steelies for the Nana-mobile.

Colton Haz LS diff?. I never ran snows on the 528e s. I carried a steel shovel and used it more than once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back