When do you install your winter tires?

Here in upstate NY, I usually get mine on around Veterans Day. I have snows on spare wheels, so I have waited a couple times, particularly if the weather is warm. They usually come off mid-April, again, temperature dependent.

Here in central VA - about now for my 2/6 cars that run summer performance tires switching over to all seasons. My son was just home for Thanksgiving break from college and we swapped his all seasons on/removed the summer/200s. My car is still on summers. Lows have been primarily in the 30s-40s and I park in the garage but a few nights that dipped down below freezing so far so not great to have a car on summers outside. I will change them likely this week when I have the time - they are on their last legs/ready to be replaced next year so not overly concerned that they get a bit cold and highs are still in the 50s with some 60s next week. So basically anytime in November and I put the summers back on those two cars around April. The all seasons on both vehicles are UHP....we'll be luck to see a few dustings typically.

Last edited:
This coming weekend will be having them put on SE Wisconsin average temperature is just about ideal now.

Just put mine on this morning. Jump packs and snow scraper/brushes in both

Close enough weather wise mostly 30-40 degrees F from here on out. Obviously several 50 degree days peppered in but still 20-30 at night and morning when you actually drive

Swapped onto the daughters car, was going to wait but she got a stick in the sidewall. :( Annoyingly that means doing tire rotation on the new Camry just got harder, as I was lifting an axle, swap the snows on, go to the other axle, you get the idea. Might just pay for rotations for the winter, unless if I find another set of wheels (wife doesn’t want snows, you go argue with her).

Holding off on mine, usually December isn’t bad, although its a used set and it would be good to test before needing. At 500+ miles per week, all highway, in a car with poor NVH, I’d like to wait until the last minute…

Well, today was the right day haha 40 F and misting rain. Went to Costco and plowed through a turn I normally take pretty quick...came home and put on the PSAS4s. They are fantastic tires. New Conti ECS 02s in the spring....ones on there now are beyond done unless it was bone dry out so cold/dry no issue, cold/damp not good. Interesting note on the Conti ECSs...they have a "D" and "W" in the tread (dry and wet, respectively) and the W is gone now but D is still visible and based on today, that is accurate! My PSAS4s are 235/40/18s on 18x8.5 wheels.

20231126_114348.jpg
20231126_114405.jpg

@TiGeo I'll admit that I'm slightly amused by the fact that I'm thinking of moving from PS4S as my summers to PSAS4s (after 23+ years of running UHP summer rubber on whatever car I had) and you use them as your winter tires :)

I've heard really good things about PSAS4s as dry/wet summer tires (including being less expensive and longer lasting), my current ride (and it's current aging driver) don't get the most out of PS4Ss, and I'd get to run them perhaps 6-8 weeks more per year in the shoulder seasons without switching to the full on winters.

@TiGeo I'll admit that I'm slightly amused by the fact that I'm thinking of moving from PS4S as my summers to PSAS4s (after 23+ years of running UHP summer rubber on whatever car I had) and you use them as your winter tires :)

I've heard really good things about PSAS4s as dry/wet summer tires (including being less expensive and longer lasting), my current ride (and it's current aging driver) don't get the most out of PS4Ss, and I'd get to run them perhaps 6-8 weeks more per year in the shoulder seasons without switching to the full on winters.
The differences between a summer and these isn't as much as folks go on about. Yes...last longer and get you more use with the shoulder seasons.

The differences between a summer and these isn't as much as folks go on about. Yes...last longer and get you more use with the shoulder seasons.
I'm referring to reports I've read where people they that the AS4s are fantastic as a high performance summer tire. Curious - do they squeal or howl when pushed? One thing I like about most UHP tires I've run is that they are silent when you're having a little fun unless you're almost sideways.

Around mid-October, close to Canadian Thanksgiving. Doing changes to 4 vehicles so I need to stagger timing for my aging body. Usually able to swap them out in an hour or less per car, unless I spot anything unusual during brake/suspension inspection while the wheels are off. Mid to late April, the winters are off for the all-seasons.

I'm referring to reports I've read where people they that the AS4s are fantastic as a high performance summer tire. Curious - do they squeal or howl when pushed? One thing I like about most UHP tires I've run is that they are silent when you're having a little fun unless you're almost sideways.
I actually used the PSAS4s on the track a few years ago when I was starting out with HPDEs....videos below. Yes, the UHP all seasons will howl a bit but so do summers if you're actually pushing them (other videos of Tail of and Back of The Dragon roads below on Continental Extreme Contact Sports) - plenty of howl! Note that I had only 2 days prior on track to this so spare me the critique of my driving as it's pretty sub-par w/r to herky/jerky, not looking ahead, etc. etc. haha. So these are PS4 all seasons....on track at VIR....even at that slower pace...if you can't drive these hard on a public road, not sure what to tell you. They do not have the outright dry grip of a pure summer like a PS4S.

Last edited:
Oh boy, I may be doing it tomorrow on my day off or this weekend (only Sat is decent weather). I for some reason really dislike putting snows on. Maybe one reason is they are skinnier than the summers, noisy, and if no snow I feel I'm destroying them. The other is I do them one wheel at a time, and there are 2 cars to do. It's all good--first world problem, right? :giggle:

got mine changed on 30th of november. well, that was a mistake :) (had to drive to the shop quite slowly and carefully) should have done it on 1st of november.

Whats-App-Image-2023-11-30-at-18-33-18.jpg

On the fence: local new station is predicting 4 to 6 inches of snow Sunday night while NOAA isn't.

As I bought a set of used snows that I haven't used yet, methinks I should put on and test out *before I "need" them*. So I think today they'll go on. Worst case, I rotate off in a few days. Was hoping to go until late Dec, oh well.

Back