When do you install your winter tires?

For the '19 Pilot, today. Son just did the "I'm taking mom's Pilot upstate Friday hunting, then maybe a quick roadtrip".
Off- Michelin Defender LTX M/S
On- Continental WinterContact Si
Off and On - Brake rotor screws, anti-seize, much easier for future before frozen.
IMG_4038.jpg

IMG_4036.jpg

IMG_4037.jpg

IMG_4039.jpg

I use 2 criteria:
1. If the day time highs are going to be 40* or less, or
2. If it's going to snow.

My Michelin PSS don't work well in temps below 40*F.
My 2 criteria here in Metro Vancouver (BC):
1) Night time temps are consistently less than 0C; AND
2) There will be consistent snow.

Otherwise my Michelin PSAS4s will stay on. My Nokian Outpost APTs simply don't have the same handling characteristics as the PSAS4s from even 0C to 5C.

I usually wait for that last weekend of leaf-picking-up, which is about the first weekend of December or so. Leaves are gone, hose drained and put away, lawnmower run out of gas, snowblower brought to the front of the garage, garage gutters cleaned, and tires swapped. I like winter, so it's actually an enjoyable weekend for me.

We've been having spectacular weather here for more than a week; unusual for mid-November. Abundant sunshine, mild temps, usually no wind. Much too early for snow tires so far. I've been riding my bike after work these past few days!

Today for the Accord and Forte. Son was home to help. It was almost 60F and mostly sunny. I normally do right around Thanksgiving anyway. Nice when conditions match up.

Daughter comes home I think Wednesday to do the CRV.

Still need to find spare rims that match $$ etc. for future daughter-in-laws Tucson.

Everything I own got put on in late September, studded snows on all vehicles. We've had two snow storms already, 8" with both of them. The shady dirt road I live on still has snow on it from the last storm a week or so ago.

I put them on my personal vehicle at the last minute, and take them off as soon as I can. That being said, I do the work myself, don't have a "first responder" job, and the tools and other-season tires are usually already up in the garage beside the car weeks before I need them so a swap can be quick.

Despite what marketing says about 7C, I get better braking and road holding from my summer tires near freezing (in the dry) compared to any snow tires I've ever had - sport or not. I carefully monitor the 7 and 14 day weather forecasts for my area and anywhere I expect I will be going. If there's a risk of flakes or ice or a serious hard freeze then I prepare to get them on so I'm never caught with the wrong tires. In the shoulder seasons I find the temperature very peaky - when there's a cold snap it is usually dry, and then gets too warm for winter tires again for a spell.

All that being said, for others who depend on me to change for them, they get a more conservative approach, especially young'uns living out of town - they don't notice the drop in performance, have more unpredictable driving destinations and habits, and to them the car is an appliance and tires are round and black so they don't notice or care about any of the negatives of switching a little early. I am also the only one in the "fleet" I maintain who uses SUMMER tires in the summer. All the others are all seasons for the summer so, in reality, they aren't in as dire a situation as I am should a little taste of winter surprise them.

After a switch, the other tires and tools still remain in the garage for a little while. Once in the spring years ago I got a call about a family member health scare and I had to go out of town urgently. Where I was going still had light winter conditions persisting but where I live I was already on my summers for a week or so. I did a "pitstop" in the garage back to my winters in less time than it took for them to confirm which hospital I was going to be driving to.

I set my target below 47F high (glass transition temperature) to prevent wear. Easy to remember.
Where did you get that information? Even most RACE tires are ~~ 40F
Most summer tires are below freezing.
all season tires are much lower.

FWIW I wait until the first big snow is forecast or temps start staying around 40f in the day.
So, They arent on yet. maybe next week.

First significant snow/weather event that you actually have to drive in(between Nov and late Jan). Or if car in for work and close I do it then as they barely charge when vehicle is on lift to swap wheels.

I don’t use summer/pure performance tires outside winter however if those on I would go by regular driving below 40F.

Where did you get that information? Even most RACE tires are ~~ 40F
Most summer tires are below freezing.
all season tires are much lower.

FWIW I wait until the first big snow is forecast or temps start staying around 40f in the day.
So, They arent on yet. maybe next week.
Just Googled "Glass transition temperature."

Today for the Accord and Forte. Son was home to help. It was almost 60F and mostly sunny. I normally do right around Thanksgiving anyway. Nice when conditions match up.

Daughter comes home I think Wednesday to do the CRV.

Still need to find spare rims that match $$ etc. for future daughter-in-laws Tucson.
CRV went on today. I made an appointment at Costco to have them balanced and sensors scanned/uploaded. Her '08 only holds 4 sensor ID's so needs fall and spring scan and upload. When I went to put them on 2 of the tires were at 25psi. A little lower than they should be after sitting 6 months IMO. The other 2 were at 16psi o_O :unsure:, TPMS seals were leaking. I sprayed them with some Gibbs to hopefully make removal easier. Costco has the service kits for $2.99 each. New sensors are $60 if they have issues.

$34.72 including tax and I was done. 4 service kits, 4 balance ($5 each since I didn't buy them there), sensors scanned and uploaded via OBD2 port. 40 minutes total. An extra $4 something for a slice of pizza and ice cream while I waited 😁.
IMG_4190.jpg

Checking the tires coming off and saw this. Went in sideways into deep tread block, no bubbles, no air pressure issues, not leaking (y)(y).
IMG_4191.jpg

IMG_4192.jpg

Back in my VT days I remember having the original Hakkapeliitta with full blown studs and yes early October (If I've spelled it correctly it's because I had 3 sets) and then the 10's (Eco Studs) on my Volvo(s). Ah, the good ol' days, you could find me at Killington every weekend, and anytime it snowed hard during school...

View attachment 187868

View attachment 187869
I prefer d-jetronic to K

The day before a major predicted storm or Christmas week, whichever occurs first.

Back in my VT days I remember having the original Hakkapeliitta with full blown studs and yes early October (If I've spelled it correctly it's because I had 3 sets) and then the 10's (Eco Studs) on my Volvo(s). Ah, the good ol' days, you could find me at Killington every weekend, and anytime it snowed hard during school...
I remember back late 80's having the Nokia (without the N at the end) Hakkapelitta 10's studded version. Saw many trips to college in Potsdam NY and ski trips all around.

Funny now 36+ years later, they are back to the Hakkepelitta 10 again but definitely a different tread pattern and I'm sure compounds.

Back then I recall the 2 top choices were the Nokian's and Gislaved Frost. Not many details and reviews easy to find back then. We went with what tire shop guys were using on their cars. They had many choices and most had those 2. It was a big 7 bay shop with many shop employees and at least 3-4 guys working the counter.

Back