What synblend would you choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes sir you are right about the Dexos specification and the ILSAC GF-5 approval as well. It really is a very good deal at $19.88 for five qts. I just went with the GTX Ultraclean because I wanted to try it out. I will run the Magnatec after the run of GTX Ultraclean.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Yes sir you are right about the Dexos specification and the ILSAC GF-5 approval as well. It really is a very good deal at $19.88 for five qts. I just went with the GTX Ultraclean because I wanted to try it out. I will run the Magnatec after the run of GTX Ultraclean.

I'm very curious about the UltraClean too, let me know how it compares to the Magnatec.

Absolutely SR5. I am glad it exceeds the API SN, ILSAC GF-5 standards. I have always been pleased with Castrol's products. Ohh and I saw the new synthetic blend Havoline high mileage there too.

On the Havoline website, they have announced the new formulation of their Pro DS as well. The PDS numbers are quite good.

Yeah that is good to hear. But I cannot buy Havoline Pro DS anywhere anymore around me. Really kind of cruddy. I really do like Havoline Pro DS. I will try the Havoline Synthetic blend high mileage 5w30.

I'll give you an update on availability when I'm back stateside. Then I'll have to buy a vehicle. All in about 2 months.

Hey, no fair
smile.gif
You have a distinct advantage over me. You are on the west coast which means it is a whole lot more likely that you would have it out your way. Chevron Havoline is in California if I'm not mistaken.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: bigj_16
You guys realize
Walmart is not on the list of retailers for those rebates, right?
https://mobiloil.com/en/promotion/mobil-promotions/fall-rebate-2017#retail

Wrong they are specifically named in the Quaker State online rebate program! I just used it last week.

Wrong I am not. First of all, I was specifically referring to the Mobil 1 rebates, not Quaker State, as you can see above. Secondly, the list I posted a link to? Walmart is not on that list. Now, as our other friend pointed out, that list may not be comprehensive. However, Walmart is NOT on the list. So, how is that wrong?
grin.gif

Last edited:
You guys realize

Wrong they are specifically named in the Quaker State online rebate program! I just used it last week.

Wrong I am not. First of all, I was specifically referring to the Mobil 1 rebates, not Quaker State, as you can see above. Secondly, the list I posted a link to? Walmart is not on that list. Now, as our other friend pointed out, that list may not be comprehensive. However, Walmart is NOT on the list. So, how is that wrong?
grin.gif

Go here https://mobiloil.com/en/promotion/mobil-promotions
Go to the top click on find a location.
Mine brings up more than one local Walmart.

Last edited:
+2 Pennzoil GOLD blend is 50% synthetic. The original question was "which blend" and look at all the answers telling him to buy something else. Don't people read anymore? Ed

This site is where I heard the 50/50 - did they ever put that on the container?
I'm running it in the Fusion Hybrid ....

Any Dexos approved blend should be at least 50%.

Simply buying a synthetic blend that isn't Dexos approved doesn't guarantee anything over .1%.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PimTac
Why buy a synblend when the conventional is cheaper and is believed to be a synblend itself?

With a 5w20, I would say this is pretty spot on. Anything else, not so much. This is according to SOPUS during the tour a few years ago. Synthetic content wise, I doubt it'd be anything close to being Dexos approved though.

Last edited:
You guys realize

grin.gif

You are correct, they are not on the list. However, they paid my two submissions his year, one from WM and one from Costco.

I do like the looks of the new Chevron Havoline HM.

Last edited:
"I do like the looks of the new Chevron Havoline HM."

Chevron has reformulated all their Havoline oils , I'm assuming to meet the new gen2 dexos requirements. I would have no problem running any of their oils in my vehicles, if I had one.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Smitty's SuperS from Kmart. It's often on sale for $7-8 for a 5qt jug

Well, you would have to find a still open Kmart.
Or, you could just stack store deals with MIRs and run PP or M1 for the same or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back