What synblend would you choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Tech819
Originally Posted By: Eddie
Pennzoil because they are 50% synthetic. Ed

Where is that published?

It's printed right on the bottle. Any blend that meets Dexos is going to be real close to that level also.

Personally, with Magnatec now a full syn in all relevant offerings and only about a dollar more than Motorcraft, I'll take the Magnatec over a blend.

Originally Posted By: PhillyJoe
Look at it this way. In the juice aisle, they offer juice blends next to the 100% juice. Which would you buy?
smile.gif

Not the 100% because it is loaded with sugar.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Originally Posted By: Tech819
Originally Posted By: Eddie
Pennzoil because they are 50% synthetic. Ed

Where is that published?

It's printed right on the bottle. Any blend that meets Dexos is going to be real close to that level also.

Personally, with Magnatec now a full syn in all relevant offerings and only about a dollar more than Motorcraft, I'll take the Magnatec over a blend.

No I know, and knowing is half the battle

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I've never been a blend fan aside from the 0w20's marketed as such. They are a *typically few dollars more than conventional and a few dollars less than synthetic.

If you want a cheap Dexos approved oil, Maxlife is probably the best bet.

+1
smile.gif

I would guess the question is what is the best "CHEAP" oil.

It depends on if you want to deal with Rebates. You can get Penzoil and M1 with rebates that bring their price down to near conventional prices.

Supertech Synthetic is value king and is good oil

Interesting timing to this question. I have been batting around this idea myself lately. I agree with PimTac that conventional oils are synthetic blends anyhow. So, I was thinking about running one just because. I went with Castrol GTX Ultraclean 5w30. It has a NOACK of 12.6% per the PDS which meets the Dexos standard of less than 13%. Will see how it goes
smile.gif

I do agree with KC about Magnatec being hardly much more money it is hard to turn down . Having said that here's my list of Synthetic blend oils.. #1 Pennzoil Gold tied with Valvoline Maxlife #2 Quaker State Enhanced Durability #3 Motorcraft

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
They are all good oils, but considering you can get two 5 quart jugs of Mobil 1 from Walmart for $11/each after rebate,
which I've always gotten, it's a no brainer. Otherwise just buy the least expensive one.

Whimsey

This! Why would anyone bother you got your oil change for the next year in hand unless you drive More than average miles and use a filter that catches .99% plus. Buy the way that same rebate will get you $4 off on a Mobil one filter.

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
You guys realize
Walmart is not on the list of retailers for those rebates, right?
https://mobiloil.com/en/promotion/mobil-promotions/fall-rebate-2017#retail

Walmart is an approved source for Pennzoil, QS, and Mobil 1 rebates. Any of those lists are just "some" of the approved retailers. There are hundreds of replies on the forum from successful rebates from Walmart for PP/M1. They have to specifically say "not approved." They do that for Amazon in some cases.

I've vote neither as well. Too easy to get Synthetic group 3 oils for less than the syn blend when you factor in annual rebates. For now, they pay us to buy the synthetics.

I'm running Magnatec 5w30 blend in my Audi, if you want to expand the question to other blends. But really, to counter the sentiment in the thread, I've been seeing more value in the higher end blends lately.

I was always a Castrol Magnatec, Valvoline DuraBlend, Shell Helix HX7 sort of guy. Here the price steps between conventional, semi-syn and full syn are big enough that semi-syn is a real option.

But things are moving on, some Castrol Magnatecs are now full synthetic while the new GTX ultraclean is listed as a semi-synthetic. These categories are more marketing terms now days and less a construction formula. I look at it this way, Castrol has three levels of oil called: GTX, Magnatec and Edge, with similar product levels for the other oil companies.

So the question to me reads "What tier-2 oil product would you choose?

I like them all Castrol Magnatec, Valvoline DuraBlend / MaxLife / EngineArmour, Mobil Super Syn. and Pennzoil Gold / Shell Helix H7.

My pick now days is Magnatec, great bang for your buck oil.

Hey there my friend. Always good to see you on here. I will tell you that the Castrol GTX Ultraclean was $17.97 and the Castrol Magnatec 5w30 was $19.88 at Wally World. For that little of a difference it is really hard to turn down the full synthetic Castrol Magnatec.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Hey there my friend. Always good to see you on here. I will tell you that the Castrol GTX Ultraclean was $17.97 and the Castrol Magnatec 5w30 was $19.88 at Wally World. For that little of a difference it is really hard to turn down the full synthetic Castrol Magnatec.

Hey Mate, yes at that price difference I would definitely go the Magnatec.

In Oz it's a small price step up to the Magnatec from the GTX (just like you), but a much larger price step up to the Edge from the Magnatec.

Now that both of us get a full synthetic Magnatec 5W30, it's the obvious choice to me.

For the new reader, in Oz our Magnatec 5W30 is API SN & Euro A3/B4, while in the States yours is SN & GF-5 & Dexos1 I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back