What oil should I use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
AAP is clearing out Quaker State synthetic, syn blend, and conventional oils....including HMs....at $1.80 per quart or less. And after Mfg rebates, the oil costs 40-60c per quart. QS HM oils are good quality.

The engine is already leaking. Synthetic can only make the leak worse. Maybe a HM conventional.

Originally Posted By: NicaNica
I just bought the car 2 months ago

So you have no idea of the maintenance history. First thing is to clean it up and locate where the leak is coming from. I assume you meant it's on the driver side and not under the driver's seat, lol.

A common leak spot is the bottom of the valve cover gasket. That's an easy fix. Do you smell oil burning occasionally? If so, that could be a leak from the front crank seal dripping on the exhaust.

I wonder if the head gaskets have been replaced with this amount of mileage. A former coworker had the same exact year and model. She took her car to the dealership for all the maintenance and the head gasket failed in 2014 at 98,000 miles.

For what oil to use, if you're gonna do short OCI's, might as well go with the cheapest high mileage 5W-30 you can find for all year round.

I guess i will be devils advocate here. I have owned a couple of Foresters and worked on many. Since the vehicle is new to you, you should take a peek at the timing belt. Also if the head gaskets havent been done yet, you are fortunate or on borrowed time. If your head gaskets have been done you have a bulletproof engine that will last well over 400-500K. If not then start saving money.

Check your PCV valve, Change your fuel filter, and use any 5w30 with a starburst.

Most miles i have seen on a 2.5 was 550K and the owner used VWB 5w30 with 4K oil changes. It was a forester used as a rural mail carrier and a soccer mom vehicle after work.

It doesn't smell like burnt oil, the head gasket was replaced somewhere after 100k miles. Everything regarding maintenance has been done correctly and on time. It had 2 owners, the second owner had the car for a year or so, after he decided to get a newer car. He got his maintenance records, but I don't have the records of the 1st owner, who basically owned the car for the most of time.

I believe I was lucky with this one. The only problem that sort of bothers me is that small oil leak. It also needed a replacement on the front A/F sensor, and that's it. And the price that I paid for the car was $2.450. I'd say I'm lucky. Love my Subaru
laugh.gif

Will put Castrol's HM synblend and will post results.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
I guess i will be devils advocate here. I have owned a couple of Foresters and worked on many. Since the vehicle is new to you, you should take a peek at the timing belt. Also if the head gaskets havent been done yet, you are fortunate or on borrowed time. If your head gaskets have been done you have a bulletproof engine that will last well over 400-500K. If not then start saving money.

Check your PCV valve, Change your fuel filter, and use any 5w30 with a starburst.

Most miles i have seen on a 2.5 was 550K and the owner used VWB 5w30 with 4K oil changes. It was a forester used as a rural mail carrier and a soccer mom vehicle after work.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind and check the timing belt. I believe should have been changed around 100k?! But I don't know for sure since I don't have the records of the 1st owner.

If the heads were removed then surely the timing belt and water pump would have been replaced?

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Why do synthetic oils ONLY make leaks worse?
I said it Can make leaks worse...not that it Will make leaks worse. Syn can make leaks worse because it flows better than conventional....flows right out of the leaking area better.

I vote Valvoline HM Maxlife 10w30. Maxlife has seal conditioners that help soften hardened seals so they can better, slowing down your leak. It also has a stout additive pack to clean up your engine sludge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back