What oil should I use 2016 Mazda 6 Skyactiv 2.5L non turbo?

Hello Gents! I recently purchased a 2016 Mazda 6 2.5L non turbo - my first Di engine which is due for an oil change- what oil would be best for my application? USA manual calls for 0w20 while any other parts of the world uses 5w30 and 5w30 is what I plan to use. I come from Toyota's and Honda's which were not picky with oil but I have heard that skyactiv engines like high Moly and low NOACK? Also I want to add this is my daily driver, I drive about 13 miles to work each way so I don't get the run it that long or get it up to highway speeds often. Which oil is best to run in these engines? I don't mind spending a few extra dollars but would prefer to use oil that I could source locally or maybe amazon as long as it has higher moly.

Last edited:
I’ve been running NAPA full synthetic (Valvoline) 0w-20 in mine since it was new. It’s approaching 75k miles now so I’m switching to 5w-30 once I use up the last of the 0w-20. I did a 6k UOA on the NAPA oil and it was excellent. These engines have proven themselves to be robust and not particularly picky about the oil they use.

Last edited:
I was just looking through UOA's on here and seems like Valvoline has very good moly - more than any of the other common oils.

recommendations in order:
Valvoline EP HM 5w-30, PUP 5w-30, any euro 0w-30 or 40, Mobil 1 EP HM 5w-30, valvoline restore and protect 5w-30, QS UP 5w-30, castrol 5w-30 then house brands; supertec etc.

recommendations in order:
Valvoline EP HM 5w-30, PUP 5w-30, any euro 0w-30 or 40, Mobil 1 EP HM 5w-30, valvoline restore and protect 5w-30, QS UP 5w-30, castrol 5w-30 then house brands; supertec etc.
Valvoline EP HM better formula than just EP? My mazda only has 50k miles.

I'd use a 30 or 40 grade euro oil. I'm using quaker state 5w-40 instead of 0w-20 in my 2021 gm that's still under warranty. It's dead silent at hot idle now and I'm doing long drains with it.

My kid is running HPL 5w20 PCMO in his 2016 Mazda 2.5L non turbo it seems to like it.

@BrendanC I don't mean to hijack a thread, I have a question for you Brendan, I see that you use, quite a bit of the Valvoline EP HM also Valvoline R & P I'm interested in the 5W-20, I have seen the additive packages of both formulas, what's so special about the R & P? I thought it was still too early to tell anything yet on the R & P..

Thanks

Last edited:
In addition to correct oils for DI engines isn't some kind of cleaning product (a spray) for the intake system needed too?
I'm also not trying to highjack a thread here.

My kid is running HPL 5w20 PCMO in his 2016 Mazda 2.5L non turbo it seems to like it.
I don't know much about HPL - quick google search seems like it something like Amsoil but stupid expensive for regular cars / drivers like most of us here? Or am I missing something about it?

@BrendanC I don't mean to hijack a thread, I have a question for you Brendan, I see that you use, quite a bit of the Valvoline EP HM also Valvoline R & P I'm interested in the 5W-20, I have seen the additive packages of both formulas, what's so special about the R & P? I thought it was still too early to tell anything yet on the R & P..

Thanks
the valvoline EP HM is my favorite off the shelf oil. i can hear an audible difference in the vehicles i put this stuff in not to mention a very nice looking add pack and like recently discovered is using a significant amount of GTL base stocks.

the R&P makes very nice claims about cleaning up an older engine so i’m running it with HPL EC30 in fleet vehicles that were before me dealer/quick lube maintained aswell as ran well over on OCI’s. even if it doesn’t do what it says it does it’s still a decent looking oil on paper.

I don't know much about HPL - quick google search seems like it something like Amsoil but stupid expensive for regular cars / drivers like most of us here? Or am I missing something about it?
HPL is for those that want the absolute best in protection. it isn’t blended to “meet” certifications rather based on the certifications and made better. only the finest base stocks and additives are used. the oil is also full of AN/ester meaning it will clean like no other. look into @wwillson and how far his durango took their HDEO. amsoil is also a very fine product that will take great care of your engine over extended drains. if you have any questions about amsoil, reach out to @Pablo.

We have that 2.5 Skyactiv engine in our CX-30 and have used several 0w20 synthetics with good results.
QSFS, PP, Mobil1, Idemitsu, etc.... I'd buy whatever 0w20 synthetic that's on sale and not worry. Also, I've used ST 6607 and 7317 oil filters with no issues....no need to spend more if your doing 6 or 7K OCIs IMO.

My sister-in-law has 215K on her 2015 CX-5 and I know it often went well over a 7K OCI on synthetic and jobber filters.

It checked every box you listed and wanted out of a oil and more is it a hair more than a run of the mill of the shelf oil
sure but not by much.

the valvoline EP HM is my favorite off the shelf oil. i can hear an audible difference in the vehicles i put this stuff in not to mention a very nice looking add pack and like recently discovered is using a significant amount of GTL base stocks.

the R&P makes very nice claims about cleaning up an older engine so i’m running it with HPL EC30 in fleet vehicles that were before me dealer/quick lube maintained aswell as ran well over on OCI’s. even if it doesn’t do what it says it does it’s still a decent looking oil on paper.

HPL is for those that want the absolute best in protection. it isn’t blended to “meet” certifications rather based on the certifications and made better. only the finest base stocks and additives are used. the oil is also full of AN/ester meaning it will clean like no other. look into @wwillson and how far his durango took their HDEO. amsoil is also a very fine product that will take great care of your engine over extended drains. if you have any questions about amsoil, reach out to @Pablo.
Thank you as soon as I heal from surgery..
I'm going to try Valvoline and Premium Guard XL oil filter. I been using Mobil 1..

Back