Castrol EDGE High Mileage 0W20 Synthetic on Low Mileage

Hello,

I reside in Canada I have a 2016 FWD Mazda CX-5 GX SKYACTIV-G 2.5L I4, I bought the Castrol high mileage 0W20 (on sale) for my next oil change which will be 93,000 km. Will it be ok to use it when it's not 120,000 + km? I've read other posts but couldn't really find what I wanted. Maybe I'm just overthinking this. The previous oil change, my mechanic used Atlantic Super Synthech 0W20 and my engine feels heavy? when driving. It is louder than usual but maybe it's because its winter or I'm being paranoid lol.

Another question, is it safe to use SEAFOAM? I have a code P0421 Warm Up Cat Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1. It is driving fine at the moment, and the mechanic said it was safely driveable with no issues, but would obviously have to be repaired to pass an emissions test

TIA for you replies.

Happy New Year!

Hello,

I reside in Canada I have a 2016 FWD Mazda CX-5 GX SKYACTIV-G 2.5L I4, I bought the Castrol high mileage 0W20 (on sale) for my next oil change which will be 93,000 km. Will it be ok to use it when it's not 120,000 + km? I've read other posts but couldn't really find what I wanted. Maybe I'm just overthinking this. The previous oil change, my mechanic used Atlantic Super Synthech 0W20 and my engine feels heavy? when driving. It is louder than usual but maybe it's because its winter or I'm being paranoid lol.

Another question, is it safe to use SEAFOAM? I have a code P0421 Warm Up Cat Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1. It is driving fine at the moment, and the mechanic said it was safely driveable with no issues, but would obviously have to be repaired to pass an emissions test

TIA for you replies.

Happy New Year!
yes high mileage motor oils are safe to use from day 1. they usually just contain slightly more anti wear additives then the “normal” counter part. only issue you run into is if the high mileage oil also meets the manufacturer spec (dexos with valvoline high mileage etc) if you’re under warranty and worried about that.

as far as the emissions code, does your car burn oil inbetween OCI’s?

for the noise, some engines just don’t like certain oils. my LQ4 and any mobil product for example. it sounds like elves with hammers under the valve covers and starts to burn oil. it hasn’t done this with any of the valvoline i’ve run for the last 180k miles or the PUP with HPL EC in the sump. it’s not because mobil makes a bad product, my engine just doesn’t like it.

"High Mileage Oil" is a marketing term for a motor oil that is usually blended slightly above API specifications. It can have as little as additional seal swellers (and there are number of chemicals that can swell seals), to having higher quality base oils (ANs, PAO, GIII+, GTL, etc.), more anti wear additives, cleaning esters, higher viscosity for the grade. Mobil 1 Extended Performance High Mileage is a prime example of a motor oil that it's blended with much more expensive materials than the non-High Mileage version.

You can use any of these High Mileage oils in a brand new engine, it won't hurt it, and it might in fact be beneficial for it, especially if the engine is living a hard life (stop&go traffic, lots of idling, long drain intervals, long winters, etc.).

As for seal swelling concerns, you shouldn't have any. Unless you pour half a quart or more of Glycol Ethers or any other seal swell agent in your engine, you will be fine.

Back