What oil should I be using in my Briggs engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

If everyone on this board searched for what they are posting about there would be no more questions to ask...what new questions are there?

Hi,

I've used Shell Helix Ultra synthetic 15w-50 in various B&S motors for 15 nearly years
My 2000 model Husqvarna ride-on with a 15hp? Vanguard had its factory oil drained at 5hrs. After 3 years it has done 85hrs ( 4000 equiv. miles ) . No oil use, still looks great, filter and oil will be changed at the end of our current summer. It has operated in from 2C to 40C temps in that time

I have screened the air intake with flyscreen to ensure that all the cooling ducts and fins are still as clean as new. This ensures that the engine has no localised hot spots from unseen debris

These engines sure are tough critters though

Regards

[ December 23, 2003, 12:14 AM: Message edited by: Doug Hillary ]

Lawnmower $530
5 litres of Delvac 1330 $19.90
Oil change quantity 0.6 litres.

I go through two litres a year.

"If everyone on this board searched for what they are posting about there would be no more questions to ask...what new questions are there?"

No. There are always new takes and new people often have something to add. Note I said "ADD" and not "create new from scratch."

If you search and have read an old thread or two which doesn't seem to 100% address your situation, resurrect an old thread on the same subject by posting in it. That way, the conversation continues and the previous input (a lot of good stuff, BTW) isn't lost and disregarded.

Besides, a lot of us regulars would like to have some input ... but why re-type some of the same things again and again and again ...
rolleyes.gif

--- Bror Jace

I too believe in doing a search first. That at least gives you something to start a discussion with, like, "I did a search and could not find...," or even better, "From my search, it seems that the consensus is ****, but I feel ****." any thoughts?"

One of the main reasons I don't post very often here, is that most of my questions are answered already, but when I do come up with something new, or have some input, I jump right in. Doesn't seem to have hurt the growth of the board any...

[ December 23, 2003, 10:41 AM: Message edited by: VaderSS ]

I allways find it quite annoying when someone brings back a dead thread - especially when I'm the one that started it. I also allways find it quite rude when someone's only reply is "DO A SEARCH!". I spend quite alot of time on several forums and am an administrator on a popular computer forum. If you find yourself being tired of answering the same question twice that's fine, nobody is forcing you to answer. If this was YOUR forum I would be more than happy to follow YOUR rules, however it is not, so I think it is in the best interest of everyone to leave the moderating - to the moderators.

“I always find it quite annoying when someone brings back a dead thread - especially when I'm the one that started it.”

Most people don’t … or shouldn’t. Why should a past discussion about something someone currently wants to know about be lost forever? There is a lot of knowledge/wisdom in some of these threads. Knowledgeable people (some actual chemists, engineers, etc …) participate for a while and move on and if old (topical) threads are not occasionally revived when needed, their (valuable) input is lost forever. I just don’t see a positive side of that.

“I also always find it quite rude when someone's only reply is "DO A SEARCH!"

I intentionally did not do merely that … but if people followed the rules and current/common ‘net courtesy, those sorts of posts would never happen.

“If you find yourself being tired of answering the same question twice that's fine, nobody is forcing you to answer.”

True enough but in fact I like addressing some of these issues and have done so … I just don’t want to have to re-type everything I said … or do a search to find previous discussion because someone who wants that sort of information failed to do so in the first place. Someone who wants the info should be the one to follow the rules take that extra step. Failing to do so is rude, indicative of laziness and cannot be defended.

“If this was YOUR forum I would be more than happy to follow YOUR rules, however it is not, so I think it is in the best interest of everyone to leave the moderating - to the moderators.”

I have been here since this forum’s inception and have supported it financially by patronizing a number of its sponsors. In a way, I do feel a sort of ownership … and that’s the kind of spirit we’ve worked to maintain here. If the moderators had a problem with me recommending people “do a search” (and I do it at least a couple times each month) they’d have told me by now. They never have and I doubt they ever will as that is a common pet peeve among regulars … oh, yeah, and it’s also officially requested at the top of the board … by the moderators.
wink.gif

--- Bror Jace

This thread is going nowhere, and it's already been pointed out that there are other topics on the subject, so this one is now locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back