Change the oil in the B&S Never Change!!!

Oh man. 2, maybe 3 years since I changed the oil in a Yard Machine 163cc with a Briggs and Stratton Never Change Just Top Up... the shiniest oil I have ever seen! Seems to be running awesome, but that shook me a little. If changing the oil gets you a few more years, then it's totally worth it. 5 minute change. Substituted 1 oz with some Sta-bil Small Engine Pro. Added some to gas as well.

I had an old B&S flathead for 15 years and only changed the oil once, and I probably didn't even need to do that. I did one oil change and it was more than 10 years in.

Besides, most people never change the oil on their lawn mowers anyway :sneaky:

Besides, most people never change the oil on their lawn mowers anyway :sneaky:

How true! My FIL had an ancient Mastercraft mower from Canadian Tire for about 25 years. He never changed the oil. He added whatever oil he had to top it off. That thing just wouldn’t die. He finally broke down about 5 years ago or so and bought a Deere JS36 to replace it.

Just my $0.02

I just changed the oil in mine. It had a little gas left from mowing, so I let it run out. Then had a coffee can at the ready, and tipped it over and let it drain for a few minutes. It was easier then I thought it would be. Filled it back up, and was good to go for the next mow. The people that make mowers know they will last a long time even without changing the oil, but they won't sell as many mowers. And are banking people won't check the level at every use. So every couple of years you'll need a new one. I own 3 mowers with the oldest being 26 years old, with no intention of ever buying another.,,

I find it worth it to do it once a year. I do it more because I mow other lawns.

I guess people who don’t know stuff about cars or anything handy don’t do it

Oh man. 2, maybe 3 years since I changed the oil in a Yard Machine 163cc with a Briggs and Stratton Never Change Just Top Up... the shiniest oil I have ever seen! Seems to be running awesome, but that shook me a little. If changing the oil gets you a few more years, then it's totally worth it. 5 minute change. Substituted 1 oz with some Sta-bil Small Engine Pro. Added some to gas as well.
Sales marketing ploy . If the engine gets past the warranty period, that's all that matters to B&S. Most of the time it does.

Once you get past the corny stuff it's a good channel with a lot of good content from someone who's been doing small engine repair professionally for quite a few years.

I could do without that part but still enjoy the content on the channel.
Are all of his videos like that?

What is his channel’s name? I couldn’t make it out

Are all of his videos like that?

What is his channel’s name? I couldn’t make it out

Most that I've seen have 2-3 minutes of a silly opening act(that you can fast forward through) followed by a lot of solid content(20 minutes-90 minutes depending on what it is) and some corny humor interspaced. A lot of his "humor" is the whole big teeth, etc get-up along with his own butchered but humorous names for different things("breaks and scrap'em" for example).

Aside from day-to-day repairs he'll find interesting stuff in his boneyard and bring it back to life. As he's doing it, he's great about providing sources and PNs for things he's replacing. I happened across it by accident watching a resurrection of a Lawn Boy D600-powered mower. He sold and serviced Lawn Boys back in the day so he has lots of NOS parts, factory tools, etc but also tons of experience with actually fixing them. In that one he re-rings the engine and does other things I've not seen videoed elsewhere like setting up the centrifugal governor correctly.

The channel is Taryl Fixes All. Again, expect the stupid stuff but on the whole I find the quality of the content far outweighs seeing a stupid skit at the beginning or hearing him talk about cleaning a "muffkin"(muffler).

Most that I've seen have 2-3 minutes of a silly opening act(that you can fast forward through) followed by a lot of solid content(20 minutes-90 minutes depending on what it is) and some corny humor interspaced. A lot of his "humor" is the whole big teeth, etc get-up along with his own butchered but humorous names for different things("breaks and scrap'em" for example).

Aside from day-to-day repairs he'll find interesting stuff in his boneyard and bring it back to life. As he's doing it, he's great about providing sources and PNs for things he's replacing. I happened across it by accident watching a resurrection of a Lawn Boy D600-powered mower. He sold and serviced Lawn Boys back in the day so he has lots of NOS parts, factory tools, etc but also tons of experience with actually fixing them. In that one he re-rings the engine and does other things I've not seen videoed elsewhere like setting up the centrifugal governor correctly.

The channel is Taryl Fixes All. Again, expect the stupid stuff but on the whole I find the quality of the content far outweighs seeing a stupid skit at the beginning or hearing him talk about cleaning a "muffkin"(muffler).

Thank you

I have a push mower from 2006ish that the oil has never been changed and it still runs great. It's about scrap now due to the deck rusting apart where the handle attaches and something in the self-propel 'transmission' came apart.

You probably won't get any more life out of a big box store splash lube mower (something else breaks first) so I don't bother dumping the oil. **Flamesuit on**

This reminds me, I should probably change the oil on my snowblower. Only got the pre-season warm up last year, and the year before that it only got a couple hours of snow moving.

Back