What oil is currently in your TGDI engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks for the feedback folks. Have anyone tried Pennzoil in a turbocharged vehicle?

Originally Posted By: parshisa
Very very interesting. So far, looks like no one with 0w20...well, except for myself. Is there any particular reason 0w20 doesn't go into y'alls engines?

Have a non-turbo GDI and use PUP 5W30. Would never use 0W20 in a GDI engine because of fuel dilution issues.

Originally Posted By: Speak2Mountain
He's right. Lighter oils typically have problems in GDI w/fuel dilution and have a higher NOACK

Which property would be more predictive of resistance to LSPI - a higher flashpoint, or a lower NOACK? The reason I ask - Mobil won't say what the NOACK is of Mobil 1 Annual Protection 0W-20, but I note it has an unusually high Flashpoint - 242 degrees C, which equates to 467.6 degrees F. Isn't that unusually high for a Flashpoint for a PCMO in 0W-20 weight?

M235i 3.0 liter TGDI: BMW 0W-30 synthetic
Cooper Clubman 1.6 liter GDI: BMW 0W-30 synthetic

Originally Posted By: turnbowm
Originally Posted By: parshisa
Very very interesting. So far, looks like no one with 0w20...well, except for myself. Is there any particular reason 0w20 doesn't go into y'alls engines?

Have a non-turbo GDI and use PUP 5W30. Would never use 0W20 in a GDI engine because of fuel dilution issues.
my malibu is GDI and its had 0w20 since its first oil change at 4K. Almost at 35K now and no problems. I also just sent my second oil sample out to blackstone this week.

Originally Posted By: btanchors
He's right. Lighter oils typically have problems in GDI w/fuel dilution and have a higher NOACK

Which property would be more predictive of resistance to LSPI - a higher flashpoint, or a lower NOACK? The reason I ask - Mobil won't say what the NOACK is of Mobil 1 Annual Protection 0W-20, but I note it has an unusually high Flashpoint - 242 degrees C, which equates to 467.6 degrees F. Isn't that unusually high for a Flashpoint for a PCMO in 0W-20 weight?

I am no expert on LSPI(apparently no one else is either
smile.gif
). But I have never seen NOACK or flashpoint mentioned in any of the LSPI studies I have read. For the oil itself, I have seen mentioned:

A higher viscosity is better

Groups V, II, III, IV are better to worse, in the order given.

Calcium is not good(particularly above 1500 ppm)

Magnesium is neutral

Molybdenum(especially), and zinc can negate the calcium

This is all very preliminary. The engine design, amount of miles, type of gasoline, operating conditions, operating rpm, and other things also are factors.

thanks for feedback yall. interesting, very few are running 0w20. I'm thinking to go one grade up on the next OCI and compare the numbers once tested. very very curious to see the difference if any at all

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
Originally Posted By: btanchors

I am no expert on LSPI(apparently no one else is either
smile.gif
). But I have never seen NOACK or flashpoint mentioned in any of the LSPI studies I have read. For the oil itself, I have seen mentioned:

A higher viscosity is better

Groups V, II, III, IV are better to worse, in the order given.

Calcium is not good(particularly above 1500 ppm)

Magnesium is neutral

Molybdenum(especially), and zinc can negate the calcium

This is all very preliminary. The engine design, amount of miles, type of gasoline, operating conditions, operating rpm, and other things also are factors.

And GrpII might even be better at resisting IVD build-up...

I have run M1 0W-40 on my Kia Optima SX TGDI for almost 5 years and 60K miles with no issues to date.
I've switched to Castrol Edge 0W-040 with my last OCI and all is good thus far (time will tell).
My engine was spec'd to also run 5W-40 oil but I run 0W-040 with 4.5K OCI and I always use a Top Tier gas.

I should note that I also run a very good OCC on my engine and do drain out about 2oz of nasty stuff per OCI.
My past UOAs have shown fuel dilution (if doing a Polaris analysis) and is why I run what is considered "severe service" OCI interval.

In the Malibu, currently dealership bulk 5w-30. I think it's a Mobil product but who knows? Future oil will be Mobil1 AP 5w-30 just because of the rebate and sale at Meijer.

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
In the Malibu, currently dealership bulk 5w-30. I think it's a Mobil product but who knows? Future oil will be Mobil1 AP 5w-30 just because of the rebate and sale at Meijer.

When the 1.5l DIT Malibus were recalled, Chevy specified particular ACDelco (US) or M1 (Canada) oils for refilling the engines. I'm pretty sure the latest Malibu manuals call for either one of those oils or any 5W30 with a dexos1 Gen 2 license. Rumor was that the ACDelco oil was a Mobil product. I'd hope the dealer used one of those oils for your change, but who knows?
I think M1 5W30 AP is a great choice, it's the first Gen 2 I ever saw (and I am also running it now).

Currently? Despite my signature line, it now has QSAD (green bottle) 5w-30, due to a recall that we just had done last week. They dumped my VSP with less than 1000 miles on it and put the QS in per the service bulletin. I guess it'll be OK for the remaining 3000 miles OCI. . .
mad.gif

Friend’s 2017 CRV with 9,369 miles.

I drained the factory fill and installed Mobil 1 EP 0w20 with a Honda oil filter.

She doesn’t come in for service until the service reminder is at 15% or less, so this could serve as a good test platform for extended drains on a TGDI engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back