What manual tranny did you cut your teeth on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Astro14
Ford 8N tractor.

That brings back some memories. My Grandad was a celery farmer and I got my tractor privileges revoked when he saw me up on two wheels!

I was 10!

First attempt was a 1978 VW Scirocco. I stalled it more than I drove it. I was much more successful with a 98 Civic DX and a 2008 Civic Si.

Dad's 1973 GMC Pickup with 3 on a tree, 350 V8 4BBL, and a clutch spring that gave the left leg a workout in traffic.

Followed by a 1972 Mazda pickup for me with 4 on the floor, 98 I4, and hydraulic clutch

Then a 1969 Plymouth Duster with 3 on a tree, 225 slant 6, and mechanical clutch

And so on until shortly before I met my wife . . . now all automatics

Originally Posted By: dnastrau

... but these days we (sadly) have all automatics here.

Andrew S.

You could do something about that, at least for your one vehicle.

Originally Posted By: CR94
This thread has lured a bunch of old guys into effectively revealing their ages.

Or at least the model year of the vehicle they were driving..

Originally Posted By: 02SE
This thread has lured a bunch of old guys into effectively revealing their ages.

Yes, but it seems safe to assume the vehicles were not extremely elderly in most cases, so that's a good clue of the drivers' vintages.

Originally Posted By: 02SE

Yes, but it seems safe to assume the vehicles were not extremely elderly in most cases, so that's a good clue of the drivers' vintages.

I've learned never to assume.

In the case of the car I learned to drive a manual trans in, The model year means that I could be anywhere from 16 to 70 years of age..

My first car I bought in my sophomore year of college for $3800 cash. It was 2001 Saturn SL with a 5speed and 88k miles. I had to have a family member drive it home for me since I didn't know stick. I was dropped off in a state park and taught myself there until I could drive it home. I remember some pretty embarrassing stalls.

'73 Chevy Vega with a Saginaw 4-speed.
But it was impossible to heel-toe downshift that car.
I learned heel-toe on my '85 Pontiac Sunbird Turbo 4-speed. The pedals were perfect for that.

The most excellent Chevy Vega. That's what was used in Driver's Ed. Strangely my mother had a couple of them after that which I sometimes drove. My dad worked at a Ford dealer and he could buy them for peanuts when they were traded in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back