What kind of vehicle ramps do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought Scepter plastic ramps after seeing a lot of photos of crushed Rhinos. The only bad thing is that they do not stack, but I like the way they are built.
I have a buddy who has used Rhinos for a long time and is happy with them, though.

OK I won't ask. I do have to say that I like my 16K Rhino ramps, but every time I use them, I ask myself if this is gonna be the day I do it. That little tab sticking up at the end of the ramp doesn't look like much protection...
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: parshisa
Rhino ramps it is. Just don’t ride over them. Dont ask me how do i know

All sorts of loose dunnage. I used to hold up ships with blocks of cement and wood. Cars iz nothin' I had a cheap set of metal ramps and one folded up under the weight of the front of a 3200lb car. Wood works best on a gravel or asphalt driveway. I have a single 2X10 X6 high ramp, I found. I should make another one. It is a beast to move but very stable. Give the car a shake. If it rocks, chock it until it doesn't before going under it.

Originally Posted By: Urshurak776
Originally Posted By: 4WD
Pine-o … glued and screwed

OMG 4WD! I spit out my coffee! That is hilarious!
smile.gif

I also have a Rhino set, but i think mine are 8K? They are the set lower than the 12K anyway. I still use jack stands under the car after i drive up onto the ramps. Stay safe.

Nothing wrong with Pine-O Ramps if built right.
I don’t use treated lumber so the Gorilla glue sticks well and 3” deck screws holds it tight while glue sets.

I have late-'80s cheap steel ramps which I hardly ever use, because they're too high for oil changes and have braces that must be bolted on for use, then removed afterward to get them back into the box for storage. For oil changes, I use short 2×6's as ramps, supported on one end by a solid oak block on the uphill (right) side of the car, and a slightly taller concrete hunk on the low (left) side. That way, the car body ends up approximately level, despite being on a hill. Another short 2×6 flat on the ground at the bottom of each inclined 2×6 solves the problem of the car body hitting the ramp ahead of the wheel.

Extra-low factory-made ramps might be less cumbersome, but seem to be scarce. None of my previous cars required ramps or jacking for oil changes, so having to lift the car now is an annoying inconvenience.

I use a stack of 2 x 12s that are screwed together, just like 4WD posted. I can drive the front, rear, or either side on the ramps to slide myself under.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Sold my old steel ramps that I've had since the 70s and bought two 8 ton Rhino Ramps and a friend gave me his two. At times, it's nice to get the whole vehicle up on all fours and have the extra room to work under the car while everything is level.

thumbsup2.gif
That's why I bought 4 pairs of them. I put the two Jeeps in 4L and up they go with ease. Perfect for transmission pan drops, gear oil swaps, servicing the transfer case, or anytime when you want to get under the vehicle and have it level. A big time saver in my book.

Yep …
I use 4 ramps sometimes with the truck and suv ~ of course those have oil front, middle, and rear and the FWDs got it all up front

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Sold my old steel ramps that I've had since the 70s and bought two 8 ton Rhino Ramps and a friend gave me his two. At times, it's nice to get the whole vehicle up on all fours and have the extra room to work under the car while everything is level.

thumbsup2.gif
That's why I bought 4 pairs of them. I put the two Jeeps in 4L and up they go with ease. Perfect for transmission pan drops, gear oil swaps, servicing the transfer case, or anytime when you want to get under the vehicle and have it level. A big time saver in my book.

Exactly!
I had to drop the gas tank in the Mazda and having 4 ramps made the job so much easier.

12k pound Rhino Ramps. They work great, I have no concerns using them even with my brothers K2500 Chevy pickup.

I was changing oil the other weekend and used the ramps on my Sonata then went to get them out for the Jeep. Then thought "well that's stupid, it's a Jeep!"

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Originally Posted By: ZZman
Originally Posted By: 4WD
Pine-o … glued and screwed

Where is the pic?

Pine-o as well. Three two x 10 with a 2 x 4 at the end to stop the roll. Belonged to a friend who passed away. He’d get a chuckle knowing his old ramps were still being used.

Your friend would be pleased.

My pine-o ramps are three 4x4s, cut at a slant and held together with four long bolts I scrounged out of some old cable spools. For easy handling, I poked some perforated pipe strap through heater hose and secured them to the sides of the ramps as handles.

Vintage late '70s and still going strong. In fact I'm using them today on a double-header oil change (taking a break at the moment), first decent weather we've had for a while.

Last edited:
Rhino or similar ramps here too.

With my wife's 17 Impala, I find the ramp too steep/tall as the front airdam/lower spoiler will hit trying to get the car up the ramps.
I laid various pieces of wood and rags (to help with slipping) to aid getting the car up on those but I am still very nervous doing so!
eek.gif

I noticed these, which I assume would work, but there is no way I am spending that kind of money on ramps just to do oil changes.
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.1000821218.html

My current setup suffices, but I need to come up with something better that won't slip or fail me as it would get expensive in a hurry if one or both of my wood extensions kicked out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: irv
... With my wife's 17 Impala, I find the ramp too steep/tall as the front airdam/lower spoiler will hit trying to get the car up the ramps. ...
I can relate. That's a common problem with recent cars that have low snouts (for aerodynamics). Short of switching to lower or less steep ramps, the solution is a pre-ramp to lift the car a bit before the wheel gets to the ramp. A 2×6 behind the ramp suffices in my case; you might need something a little thicker.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZZman
I have the plastic Rhino 12,000 pound set. They work great. They are light and nest together nicely.
These are what I use also.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
I also have a pair of old metal Motomaster ramps from Canadian tire. I sprayed black bed liner on them to give the car traction while going up the ramp. They look real cool.
Those ramps scare me. Seen them collapse more than once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back