What is the worst vehicle you have owned and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Worst car i owned was a 1986 Ford Tempo- It was only 4 years old when i got it. It had exhaust leaks, oil seeped from every seal on it, transmission leaked also. To take it to town which was 25 miles cost me a quart of oil each way as it also was burning oil on top of leaking. You couldnt run the air conditioner or any vents or the oil burning under the hood would flood the interior. Nothing about that car was safe or fun to drive. I hated it. I havent seen a Tempo on the road in many years either.

My Father had a fleet of cars that I hated. He worked for the city in the 70s and 80s and his company car was a chevy nova 6cylinder. He got the bug and started buying every one that was $500 or so. He had 4 parts cars and 8 or so running cars at one time, if something went wrong with one he would switch the tags and drive the other..if something needed a part he would take off of one and put on another. None of the cars would really die something would just rust off or fall off. I was embarrassed to be near any of his cars, they were rolling junkyards but he loved them.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
For me it was a Chevy Chevette.
It was a plain Jane stick with roll up windows. Also the floor boards totally rotted out!

Myself and 3 other siblings learned how to drive in a Chevette. If it can survive 4 teenage driver's, it's a tough car. Eventually, we sold it and the new owner ran it into a utility pole.

1975 Chevy Monza (not actual car, but almost):
maxresdefault.jpg

It was a first year car, and constantly had brake problems due to undersized brakes. Other than that, it broke down a lot, but that was mostly because I was a teenager and didn't know that rebuilt parts were [censored], and I used things like universal radiator hoses that you bend to fit (only lasted a month). I also hated that it had a carburetor. All my cars since then have been fuel injected. In hindsight, I learned a LOT from that car. I had a friend who owned the Buick or Oldsmobile version of this car that was newer than mine and he had no problems with it.

1991 saturn sl1.

I was constantly adding oil to the point it would not pass inspection finally.

08 Wrangler.

Numerous TIPM failures
Random other modules would fail with no warning (like the time we were going to a hospital in a snow storm and it would only run for 20 seconds at a time when the SKIM failed)
Engine knocked and burnt oil 1 quart every 650 miles
CV Shaft exploded randomly (never saw off road or any sort of abuse, ever)
Rear differential had to be rebuilt (again, no off road use)
Electronic lockers never once worked, except for the time the rear randomly locked itself while driving down the highway for no reason
Electronic swaybar disconnects never worked

There was also something else wrong with the engine. It could not go on flat ground in 6th gear. Completely stock Jeep. If you'd hold it to the floor in 6th at 55 MPH, it would just slow down and ping real bad.
Front axle seals were a 10,000 mile replacement item

1980 Ford Fiesta. I think I pushed that thing more than I drove it. Used more oil than gas. Really the only car I’ve ever owned that was a genuine POS.

Last edited:
87 olds Cutlass the biggest garbage heap I ever owned. It started falling apart at 4,000 miles and by 12,000 miles the motor blew up. GM products scare me the most.

Originally Posted By: Starman2112
1980 Ford Fiesta. I think I pushed that thing more than I drove it. Used more oil than gas. Really the only car I’ve ever owned that was a genuine POS.

The US version weren't very good, the Europe spec version since at the time European regulations were very lax was singificantly simpler and more reliable.
My family had a 1981 1.3 Gia from 1991 to 1993 and it was extremely reliable, and it already had some 120k miles when we bought it, i would certainly not mind owning one.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
VW Vanagon air cooled engine, camper version. I think it was an 80 or 81, had 5K on it when I bought from the original owner. Gutless to the extreme, fuel inefficient to the extreme, and unreliable more extreme. Dangerous as well, unstable in wind and just an all around horrible vehicle. We went to the Grand Canyon and just on the roads getting there not hilly I had to downshift to third just to keep up to about 50 mph full throttle. The only vehicles slower I passed were the other older vw vans. All the while getting 15 mpg.
Buddy,its a freaken VW bus. 4 thin layers of sheet metal between you and eternity. Why worry about not going fast? The bug and the bus took over from the Model T in putting the world on wheels. I heard that a 23 window bus went for 200Gs at an auction. It sold for a little over 2K$ new.
I used to think that the '84 XJ6 was the worst car I ever had. However, the Rat has eclipsed the Jag in sheer brokeness and perversity due to Ford's total disregard for serviceability. I would love another series 3 or 4 XJ6. They are pretty.

I have owned 42 4 wheeled vehicles. The worst one by far was a 1977 Dodge PU. Trans failed twice on me and the rear end self destructed three times. Engine developed a knock and I sold the truck. What a POS.

99 Olds Silhouette van, fully loaded, started off as a lease then went back a month later to buy it and then 3 months later it was in the shop for something and dealer loaned me a 99 Grand Cherokee, they didn't get the Jeep back and the Jeep was a real vehicle.
smile.gif

Then had an 02 Bravada that had issues with leather peeling and weird transmission knocks (bought it in 02 new). It had some body issues too but sadly I wrecked it when it was a year old pretty badly and it wasn't the same after that. Doors would drop down when you opened them, etc. Traded it in 2005 for an 05 Durango which turned out to be good.

Both the 99 Grand Cherokee and the 05 Durango turned me on to FCA stuff, been very satisfied with all 6 FCA vehicles I have owned.

Another vote for an '86 Ford Tempo. Definitely worst NEW car I ever bought. Remember they had a fix it once and it's covered forever warranty. Everything broke exactly once. Only car I ever bought an extended warranty on and in this case it was worth the money. Threw belts, dropped every kind of fluid onto every possible hot surface.

Overheated and almost caught fire going over the Ambassador Bridge and US Customs officials made me push it off to the side into a darkened Detroit neighborhood. After more than thirty years I still shudder.

Haven't had a bad one yet--I expect some repairs, not perfection.

Closest to bad would be the wife's 2001 Civic. Needed a/c work every other year, and we drove it the last couple with no ac as the dealer wanted to replace everything (it was like 8-10 years old at the time). Even then I'm not sure it was awful, but for a 2001 it needed repairs more like a 1990 model (exhaust, CV grenaded, oil pan and air box gave up, and the a/c). Also a torque-less wonder. But the wife liked it so...
21.gif

1979 Dodge Omni 024.

I bought it in around 88 as my first car. I think it only had 60k on it. Everything broke. Suspension, transmission, brake line, and then finally the water pump went out and when it overheated it blew a head gasket. I put 2X as much money into repairs as I bought it for.

That was the last car I bought from a used car lot. Every one after that were a private seller or a car that just came off lease.

I have to say my 1991 pathfinder. It’s way underpowered and gets 15 mpg. I daily drove it for over 10years and now It’s driven maybe 3X/Mo. The thing just won’t give up. I bought this truck in 2000 with 100k miles, it now has 250k miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: csandste
Another vote for an '86 Ford Tempo. Definitely worst NEW car I ever bought. Remember they had a fix it once and it's covered forever warranty. Everything broke exactly once. Only car I ever bought an extended warranty on and in this case it was worth the money. Threw belts, dropped every kind of fluid onto every possible hot surface.

Overheated and almost caught fire going over the Ambassador Bridge and US Customs officials made me push it off to the side into a darkened Detroit neighborhood. After more than thirty years I still shudder.

I had a 1986 Tempo Sport GL 2-door with a 5-speed manual. First new car I ever owned. I know these have a bad rep, but I actually didn’t have any trouble out of mine for the 4 years and change that I owned it. It got totaled when an elderly lady ran a red light and T-boned me on the passenger door. Luckily, nobody was with me. I think it had about 50-60k on the odometer.

Don't think I've had a really bad car. I've had a couple I couldn't get to run properly but that was probably my fault, since it was before I knew about vacuum leaks.

Worst was probably a Ford Transit high top camper van conversion with a 1600 Pinto engine in it. They shouldn't really put 1600 Pinto engines in Ford Transit vans. Thing couldn't get out of its own way.

I bought it off some Australians in London, which doesnt auger well. It had probably been around Europe a few times, and was pretty worn out. Was given to intermittent battery flattening but eventually I noticed a dry joint in the alternator wiring and it got more reliable.

Left it with my brother when I went to Taiwan.

another X-car vote

1980 Pontiac Phoenix with a manual transmission and Iron Duke 4-cyl, ordered brand new, waited 5 weeks for delivery, 3 days after receiving it the car died because the alternator was shot. Horrible driveability issues until it got warmed up, made me look like a manual rookie. It was a dog in any gear, and once you turned the AC on it got even worse. I found hundreds of grind marks on the body where panels were welded together and they just painted right over them. In 4 months of ownership they could never get the tires balanced, it shimmied all the time. Dealer wanted to buy it back and order me a new one, big fat NOPE to that. I traded it in on a 1980 Honda Accord and could not say goodbye fast enough. It's kind of soured me on GM for the rest of my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back