Lexus GX460, even mature platforms have issues?

Woke up to this video posted by Youtuber Tedward. He picked up a 2023 that (ignore the first vehicle that was replaced) exhibited a vibration through the floor boards at 70 mph. They troubleshooted with known good tires, and still no fix. The fix ended up being a new GX460.

I know the GX platform is well matured as this point, but I guess it goes to show, every machine can still have problem fresh off the factory line.

I would expect issues in the beginning of the line, and the end of the line since his was a final year model. Supposedly their line is very scrutinized.

I would rather know the actual root cause vs lemon law'd with no real resolution found.

As another anecdote without YT fluff: my first year model ownership bought used with 61k and now 71k has been uneventful for the past 8 months.

I would expect issues in the beginning of the line, and the end of the line since his was a final year model. Supposedly their line is very scrutinized.

I would rather know the actual root cause vs lemon law'd with no real resolution found.

As another anecdote without YT fluff: my first year model ownership bought used with 61k and now 71k has been uneventful for the past 8 months.
I am wondering if its the driveline tsb that Lexus will put out, as right now the driveline tsb effects vehicles at lower speeds.

After watching the video, my guess is that this is just a part tolerance stack up issue that manifests as a vibration because a part has a natural frequency that is the same frequency as the vibration.

After watching the video, my guess is that this is just a part tolerance stack up issue that manifests as a vibration because a part has a natural frequency that is the same frequency as the vibration.
Years ago back in college, when I knew what resonance frequency meant a lot more than today, I had a Honda and it really did not like going a certain speed on a certain local bridge. The car was very smooth but going 65 +/-2 mph on this bridge made it vibrate severely. 60 or 70 mph and it was fine.

Reactions: JC1
Driveline vibrations are overlooked by techs, and a dealership won’t send off driveshafts to a driveline shop for a balancing. Yet, I see many mechanics on YouTube not marking shafts to maintain balance.
Telling a service write a problem like this usually results in the boiler plate answer of they all do that.

Him getting as many solutions from this dealership is probably related to him being a social media guy.

Our 2022 palisade (had been out a couple few years by this model year at least) had driveline vibrations that they couldn’t figure out. I finally found a shop (after using 3 other local Hyundais) that I could speak with the lead tech and get on the same page / avoid the middle man who had no clue how to relay my concerns to the technicians. They still never ended up fixing it, they told me Hyundai would buy it back before they’d continue to throw parts at it and try to fix it.

Our 2023 Honda odyssey (same body has been out awhile now) had squeaks and rattles from the first week of ownership that completely stumped the techs. They ended up buying a new chassis ear for the shop to figure it all out.

Most folks know to avoid first year model unless not much changes in the models such as same engine or engines with long reliability history and the brands of repute such as Toyota and Honda but I always wonder about end model year, especially if the model is discontinued. For example, should people be worry about dodge challenger last model year since it is being discontinued? Combine shady dodge dealerships, dodge’s toy-like status (great design on less than stellar reliability), and crappy union work ethic, are owners setting themselves up for headaches. I mean, the hemi ticks and oil starvation at idle are simply poor design on a technology and design that has been around forever. And Dodge makes some of the best looking vehicles out there and that goes for the Ram truck lines too.

I mean, the hemi ticks and oil starvation at idle are simply poor design on a technology and design that has been around forever.
The HEMI does not starve of oil at idle. We've been over this subject extensively. Most "ticks" are a leaking exhaust manifold, either due to broken studs or a cracked manifold.

Back