What is the "worst" oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Same as your opinion on thick oil, not based on facts or science!! LOL..sorry i had to!

If I had a doctorate degree in chemistry and a masters degree in fluid dynamics, like you want me to, I wouldn't have the time to post here.

The "worst" oil! Anything on PQIA's hate list
grin.gif
AND Royal Purple.

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
Any oil that claims API SN and has the starburst is adequate. No API starburst, buyer beware.

Contaminated oil would be the worst I think

Aside from contaminated or out of spec oil, some of the "worst" would probably be a more generic thing, where you find various synthetics that simply command a higher dollar without having any relevant specifications in order (no dexos1, no ACEA specs where applicable, no mileage warranty). I don't mean house brands either, since they're at a discount. If something is commanding M1 or PP or Castrol black bottle dollars, it better be just more than a higher price tag in some regard.

When I was young and knew less than nothing about cars, my first car was a 1951 Dodge sedan that used a lot of oil. I used to go surfing up the coast (45 min drive) every week and would run low on oil halfway there. So I would stop at a gas station that did oil changes and ask if they would sell me some used oil cheap...they usually just gave it to me with a certain amusement and a few warnings. I would often stop on the way back for some more used oil, since it didn't last very long in this engine.

You might say this used oil was the worse oil one could buy, but it kept my car from running out of oil for months.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
We gotta focus on the facts, and saying Fram filters are anywhere near the worst design is completely false. Stop spreading lies.

Oil is oil, unless it's the stuff from the dollar store or no-name gas station oil.

not so sure oil is oil.

The worst oil IMO is one that is expensive and mediocre, and increases valve train noise compared to every other oil tested.

To me that is M1 0w40.

Originally Posted By: Olas
The worst oil IMO is one that is expensive and mediocre, and increases valve train noise compared to every other oil tested.

To me that is M1 0w40.

Interesting, it has a big fan base here. I don't ever remember reading complaints about M1 0W40. Occasionally a complaint would pop up about their 5W30, but honestly this is a first for me seeing anyone complain about their 0W40.

Have you honestly never heard anybody complain about M1s propensity toward shearing? Has M1 ever had ZERO impact on valve train noise in any engine you've ever used it in?

To me, if it can't maintain viscosity it's not good enough.
Also, if it increases noise, it's not good enough.

Redline is far superior in both of these aspects, not to mention fm/aw/ep/hths/quieter.

Sure, there may be lubes whose objective performance falls below that of M1, but the price point usually indicates this will be the case.
For them to charge as much as they do, for a product that is as mediocre as it is, puts it firmly in to the "worst oil" category.

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
The worst is Pennzsludge bees wax
crazy.gif

G-MAN banned my original 2006 account for even making a joke about that meme!

There's one down and dirty method of avoiding bad poor specification oils. Stay away from the stuff in gas stations and stop n robs when you're buying oil unless you see its a name you recognize.. Any oil I've ever seen on their avoid list had fairly sketchy looking names and or lables and I'd never seen it before anyplace.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Anything on PQIA's "don't buy" and "consumer alert" list.

+1

Agreed. There are some doozies on that website

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Anything on PQIA's "don't buy" and "consumer alert" list.

+2 There are some real dogs on the shelves of gas stations and food marts/dollar stores.

UD

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
The worst is Pennzsludge bees wax
crazy.gif

G-MAN banned my original 2006 account for even making a joke about that meme!

shocked.gif
i'm scared now, admins please spare me.

These are plenty of beauties on the PQIA website, here is one of my favorites...they didn't even call it "5-30" or some other nonsense grade to give themselves an out.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/Liberty2011.htm

79% NOACK loss, 0.8 virgin TBN, and a good dose of sand!
I can't even imagine what this stuff is, maybe totally shagged out oil heavily diluted with brake cleaner??

Originally Posted By: danielLD
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
We gotta focus on the facts, and saying Fram filters are anywhere near the worst design is completely false. Stop spreading lies.

Oil is oil, unless it's the stuff from the dollar store or no-name gas station oil.

not so sure oil is oil.
When it comes down to actual engine life, it basically is.

If you have 2 identical cars and 1 runs Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 and the other runs Mobil 1 0w20, one isn't going to last longer than another as far as engine life where it relates to oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back