What is the thinnest.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might guess because many new cars sold in the USA call for 5/20 or 0/20 oils, yet in the owners manual it will say 5/30 is perfectly acceptable outside the USA. Soooo ... I assume if one is like me, I would tend to use a 5/30 in that case but only the OP knows the reason for his/her question....

Havoline is often on the thinner side... Shell products are often on lower end too.

Havolines "typical" test range they report puts:

5w30
40C Viscosity: 58.2
100C Viscosity: 10.4
CC -30C
Pour Point -51F

However, the interesting one is the 10w30... considering it is so close and if you compare the PQIA it is on the thin side of the PQIA 5w30 test as most are over 60cSt at 40C.

10w30
40C Viscosity: 59.9
100C Viscosity: 10.0
CC -25C
Pour Point -51F

https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/PDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=415937&docFormat=PDF

Noticed your comment on syn/conv oil ... Been a syn freak for years - but question myself when bro in law shows up ... 360k on Chev 1500 - no repairs - MobilSuper 5k OCI ...(used to be DriveClean?) ...

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
I might guess because many new cars sold in the USA call for 5/20 or 0/20 oils, yet in the owners manual it will say 5/30 is perfectly acceptable outside the USA. Soooo ... I assume if one is like me, I would tend to use a 5/30 in that case but only the OP knows the reason for his/her question....

I'm the OP and that is definatly the reason I wanted to know the thinnest 5w30.

My vehicle specs for 5w20 (0w20), but I'm considering going to a 5w30 because my vehicle now has 135K on it. I have no oil useage but I'm thinking a little heaver oil (BUT NOT TO HEAVY) ..would be beneficial at this juncture....for my next OCI.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Noticed your comment on syn/conv oil ... Been a syn freak for years - but question myself when bro in law shows up ... 360k on Chev 1500 - no repairs - MobilSuper 5k OCI ...(used to be DriveClean?) ...
Most people fall for the syn oil marketing like lemmings running over a cliff.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
Originally Posted By: alarmguy

I'm the OP and that is definatly the reason I wanted to know the thinnest 5w30.

My vehicle specs for 5w20 (0w20), but I'm considering going to a 5w30 because my vehicle now has 135K on it. I have no oil useage but I'm thinking a little heaver oil (BUT NOT TO HEAVY) ..would be beneficial at this juncture....for my next OCI.

I wouldn't assume you need a 5-30 in your Focus. I have used 0-20 for years in both Duratechs and both engines are performing very well. Many Ford engines have well over 300K with 20wt oils and are running great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back