What is texting SMS MMS RCS?

I don't text much so don't know the terms, but I sent a message and it showed, Texting with xxx by (SMS/MMS). They replied and it showed, RCS chat with xxx. Now when I go to reply, it's showing as RCS message. What does that mean?

RCS is a more secure and enhanced message. Not everyone supports it, which is probably why your phone starts in SMS/MMS mode until until the initial handshake is complete and RCS is recognized by both devices.

The short story:
SMS bad
RCS good
iMessage good

SMS = 160 character limit, text only, sent via data (Short Messaging Service)
MMS = No character limit, allows sending pictures, audio, etc, sent via data (Multimedia Messaging Service)
RCS = "Enhanced" SMS/MMS messaging service, encrypted between sender/recipient, supports read-receipts, typing status, etc, sent by WiFi or data (Rich Communication Service)

too many shortcuts these days, got a android smart phone + cheep red pocket plan because i only talk + text rarely BUT would like to send pics IF i could only learn!!!

Yes, RCS generally works better than MMS. With MMS you need a good cellular connection to send and receive pictures. RCS can operate entirely over wifi.

too many shortcuts these days, got a android smart phone + cheep red pocket plan because i only talk + text rarely BUT would like to send pics IF i could only learn!!!
Depending on android version (?) there is probably an icon you click while composing the message, that allows you to pick an image (that you already took with your phone's camera) to send.

Depending on android version (?) there is probably an icon you click while composing the message, that allows you to pick an image (that you already took with your phone's camera) to send.
Or, you can start with the picture in your Gallery, and click the share button. You then choose how you want to share, such as email, text, quick share, or some other way.

BUT would like to send pics IF i could only learn!!!
1714489993371.jpg

Ask your grandkids to show you. Probably easier than trying to follow written instructions.

• Haha
Reactions: Pew
I don't text much so don't know the terms, but I sent a message and it showed, Texting with xxx by (SMS/MMS). They replied and it showed, RCS chat with xxx. Now when I go to reply, it's showing as RCS message. What does that mean?
RCS messages is android equivalent to apples iMessage.

Back