What is a good brand of jumper cables?

Owen Lucas

$100 Site Donor 2023
Need some long jumper cables for the trunk. There are lots of no name brands on Amazon that look tempting. Is there any go-to brand or supplier of high quality jumper cables?

I rarely have used mine, so have relied on ones with thin wire. Just let the charging vehicle idle longer. But less space taken up in the trunk for something rarely used.

Need some long jumper cables for the trunk. There are lots of no name brands on Amazon that look tempting. Is there any go-to brand or supplier of high quality jumper cables?
I wouldn't get hung up on brands but choose a set with the heaviest cables. The lowest AWG number.

I wouldn't get hung up on brands but choose a set with the heaviest cables. The lowest AWG number.
Even then, most of what is sold on Amazon is CCA (Copper-clad aluminum) which is stiff and clunky in the cold weather, and simply doesn’t work as well. I’ve bought Deka (East Penn) and they’re good. Pure copper, not stiff and clunky. But not cheap.

Deka 4 Gauge 16 Foot Booster Cables https://a.co/d/eLGcpbE

Real copper and 4 gauge is the gold standard.

CCA 4 gauge is "ok" but more unwieldly.

16ft is a reasonable length(medium) 50$

These are CCA but a good value for 21$

if 12ft is long enough here are some 4ga copper $30

Thank you everyone. I was not aware of copper cladded aluminum. I definitely want pure copper and am fine paying a premium for it. When jumping a vehicle, you don't want to a have low quality cable.

This is for my parents vehicle and my dad is old school, a new fangled booster box would be too complicated for him though I think it is the best solution as long as it's checked / charged on a regular basis. I'll probably get one for my self though.

Thank you @Astro14, Deka looks like the only high end name brand out there, and being pure copper, that's the way to go, ordered!

The thickest AWG and longest you can find/afford/fit. I got stuck somewhere and dropped $80 in 1991 for a set at NAPA I still own to today. I believe they are 20’ long and carry a ton of amps. They remind me of what you’d use welding.

I have some that dad had made at work. I think they are like 25 ft long, pure copper, heavy clamps, they used the wire for when they made battery cables for their trucks (large public utility company). They are also quite heavy. I have 5 other pairs that range from cheaper and shorter to heavier gauge and longer. They are my backup plan in each car but rarely used.

All the cars have one of the jump packs (Gooloo and DB power). They get used more frequently, normally to help others, much more convenient, doesn't take the chance YOUR electrical system. I charge all the jump packs like 2x per year and they usually have at least 4/5 light on still when checked.

PSA- Where do you keep your cables and jump pack? Check to see how you access the trunk if your battery is dead. Is there a key? Lever/cable? Push button inside or outside? My daughter KILLED her battery. Lights on for multiple days. Not enough power to unlock doors or tailgate (electric pushbutton outside) In the owners manual there is a "in case of emergency" that covers it on her CRV and the Pilot. Remove the plastic access cover and push tab. Her tailgate covers the spare tire cover so you can't lift it up if tailgate is closed. That was where her jump pack USED to be. Now it resides between her front seats under the flip console table thing. Cables are still by spare but she knows how to get to them if needed anyway.
PIlot Tailgate Release.jpg

solder gets brittle Crimping is better IMO.
Mechanical connections are not better than soldering. If the surfaces are clean prior and soldered correctly, nothing is going to break the solder joint. If it breaks, it was not done correctly. The clamps have a clamping strain relief on them anyway so there is no strain on the solder connections.

I have really good cables I have had for 30 years that hang in the garage. I carry this now instead. That way I don't have to risk boosting anyone else - just use the box. 59 bucks at walmart.com

Screenshot from 2023-11-25 06-31-20.jpg

Back