What does retirement mean to you?

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
A severe shingles attack two years after retirement that left me with permanent pain for life. Bah Humbug.

Unfortunately same thing happened to my mom.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted by ZZman
Yes, for many they will be forced to retire earlier than they planned due to health issues. And for many health cost issues will delay retirement or break them in retirement. Long term care is the big retirement breaker I think.

Indeed. I know a guy who was forced to retire at 65 for health reasons. Due to his health issues he was unable to continue with his hobbies and also developed Parkinson's and dementia. He began to loose his mobility in his late 60's and became wheelchair bound at age 76. Weighing in over 230 lbs he requires 24/7 care and is consequently living in an assisted living center where is his wife visits him every day.

That's why my plan remains blowing my brains out on my 65th birthday.

Originally Posted by grampi
Originally Posted by quint
Originally Posted by Cujet
Retirement means not working.

If you are working, you are not retired, despite any thoughts to the contrary.

Resigning from a high stress job, and downsizing to reduce stress is not retirement or even semi-retirement.

I agree 100%. To me that just means you're financially independent. An enviable position to be in, but you arent 'retired' if you're working somewhere, no matter how menial the job is or how stress free it is or how easy it would be for you to stand up, walk out and never go back if you choose.

I used to get jealous when I would hear about people my age (51) or close to it retiring. Honestly, I dont feel that way much any more, the more people I know who retire, the less personal interest I have in the concept. I've seen too many of them "retire" and 6-7 months later I run into them and its always the same story... bored, bored, and bored. They traveled here and there, painted every room in the house, they golf 2-3 times a week, and 6 months later they are looking for something else to do. Retirement became hum-drum, that quick.

If I had a dollar for every guy in his mid-50's or 60's who retired from my company here and came back, I could probably retire myself. They are all fired up, they are going to sleep as late as they want, they are going to restore an old car, they are going to build an addition to the house, no more stress, no more putting up with crud going on here, they are going to travel here there and everywhere, rah rah rah! Uh huh. Its the running joke around here, when people retire and they have the retirement party in the conference room or at a local bar, "See you in six months when you start dying of boredom". And just like clockwork, six, seven or eight months later here they come. At least 40-50% of them, and thats probably a way low number.

My dad retired from aerospace engineering in the 1990's, and for the last 10 years or so he had been working in a sporting goods store and finally quit working last year at age 84, after much persuasion from myself and my siblings. We wanted him to quit working and do whatever he wanted do to. Well, apparently he already was doing what he wanted to do. I talked to him a few days ago about a car issue he was having, and he mentioned he had to get up early the next day for his physical. I told him to reschedule it for later in the day if he didnt feel like getting up early, he said no they need it for the paperwork to go through, he has to turn it in, etc etc . At this point I was like "What paperwork? Turn it in to who? What are you talking about?" and he says "Oh, yea I'm going back to work, this is a pre-employment physical. I'm going back to the store to work part time". He will be 86 next month, going back to work 20+ hours a week at the sporting goods store he worked at. I asked him why in the world he is going back to work at his age, I asked if he is short on money, does he need help, nope. Same old thing.... he's bored. He's already golfed every course around here, fished every lake and stream within 100 miles, he had been all around the globe in the military and traveled wherever so he's pretty much over that. Everything was been there done that. He says he just needs something to do on a daily basis. He has said several times "retirement sounds nice, I just dont find it all its cracked up to be". Well that lasted what, two years?

If my physical and mental health holds up as well as his, I'm sure I'll be walking in his footsteps if I live to be his age. I hope.

I don't know where you live, or who you associate with, but I've never known anyone who's retired and ended up going back to work because of boredom. I've seen where people had to go back to work because they needed the money, but no one I know who was financially set in retirement worked. I'm won't be working either. I'd do volunteer work before I went back to an actual paying job, but I don't think boredom is going to be a problem for me...

I have. One of the temps we use at work could probably buy the temp agency...but he works as a helper on our trucks 2-3 days a week in his 70's-he says he does it because he gets bored, and needs the exercise.

Originally Posted by MCompact
I retired at 100% of my final salary- with health insurance included for my wife and son. I definitely didn't need to go back to work. I chose to do so because I wanted some new and different challenges. I enjoyed my last part-time gig and would have stayed there indefinitely had I not jumped back into the political fray.

Retiring at 100% of your final salary is almost unheard of, that's great! I will retire at about 70-75% of my final salary, but I will actually have more than double the disposable income after I retire due to having far less expenses.

Around here, all the hacks do it. It's an old scam: retire from one government job around 50-52...get another job and "retire" again around 60. Presto-two full pensions! Billy Bulger (Whitey's brother, aka, the corrupt midget) is TRIPLE-dipping: he gets a pension from UMass, a pension from the state senate, AND a pension for his "work" at the MBTA. His son is collecting $56,000 a year from the MBTA...he "retired" at 43.

Another trick is what all the Massachusetts cops do: they work an enormous amount of overtime (most of it "detail" work) their last few years on the job...since pensions are based on last three years (or highest, which amounts to the same thing), they frequently make more than they did most years working.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Boredom drives people back to work even if its part time.

That's what I like about my current job- its new to me- something I've never done before. And it's actually fun,

Originally Posted by ZZman
Originally Posted by Spector
For me (retired 5 years now) it means waking up and having absolutely no commitment that I must do that day. Unfortunately, rarely works out that way, doc appointments, grandchildren sick and child care, car in shop etc. Not enough time in a day it seems.

Weird how that works. Also seems time goes faster too.

Boy you're not wrong about that spinning clock. No real reason for it either I can see, it just IS...–.

Some people have no imagination.

For me, I'm not sure I'd need to retire from landlording. I've known people who still did it in their 70's and 80's. I've been getting lazier of late and don't even do that much work, mostly hire most jobs outs. Mostly management and paperwork is the bulk of the work.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
I retired at 100% of my final salary- with health insurance included for my wife and son. I definitely didn't need to go back to work. I chose to do so because I wanted some new and different challenges. I enjoyed my last part-time gig and would have stayed there indefinitely had I not jumped back into the political fray.

Retiring at 100% of your final salary is almost unheard of, that's great! I will retire at about 70-75% of my final salary, but I will actually have more than double the disposable income after I retire due to having far less expenses.

Around here, all the hacks do it. It's an old scam: retire from one government job around 50-52...get another job and "retire" again around 60. Presto-two full pensions! Billy Bulger (Whitey's brother, aka, the corrupt midget) is TRIPLE-dipping: he gets a pension from UMass, a pension from the state senate, AND a pension for his "work" at the MBTA. His son is collecting $56,000 a year from the MBTA...he "retired" at 43.

Another trick is what all the Massachusetts cops do: they work an enormous amount of overtime (most of it "detail" work) their last few years on the job...since pensions are based on last three years (or highest, which amounts to the same thing), they frequently make more than they did most years working.

In some instances you have a "windfall" situation and because you have a pension you receive a small portion of the Social Security that you were oringinally entitled too. Just FYI.

https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/program-explainers/windfall-elimination-provision.html

The situation applied to my wife who receives a pension after teaching in California. And teaching was a second career for her. She worked in the private sector for as many years that she was a teacher.

Last edited:
You don't need social security with two state pensions! (IIRC, Billy Bulger is getting about $300,000/year.)

I didn't know there was an income qualification for Social Security! Just think if there was. What would be the ceiling? One Million? Two Million-or more in cash? Or is that assets as well? Exclusive of your house or not? IN California and a few other places a 2,500 square foot house makes you a millionaire-or close to it.

What a can of worms that would be!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Dallas69
May 1st is my first day of retirement.
I am 67 and have worked since 16.
I may not deserve it but I have earned it!
It's a little scary.

Sounds like me. I was not unemployed for a single day from age 17 to 67 (though a lot of that time was in full time education - which is a different kind of hard).

Expect to take a year or more for your mind to settle into retirement. I didn't sleep very well for the first year, and not sleeping was something new. Probably wondering why I had retired (at only 67)!

Although I had a great job, really enjoyed what did, and the people I worked with, I now think I should have retired earlier.

Originally Posted by Wolf359

Some people have no imagination.

For me, I'm not sure I'd need to retire from landlording. I've known people who still did it in their 70's and 80's. I've been getting lazier of late and don't even do that much work, mostly hire most jobs outs. Mostly management and paperwork is the bulk of the work.

What if your wife tells you to stop landlording... ?

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
I think Grampi might be assuming that the high deductible plans are because of Obamacare.

They are not. They existed long before. The biggest impact one would have felt was if they were buying a cheap but useless plan that didn't cover much. Obamacare mandated some minimum requirements one of which was disallowing denial of care due to existing health conditions.

True. The ACA accelerated the rate at which this type of plan was offered. I want to emphasis that I said accelerated because demographics were going to force their adoption it regardless. Beginning around the early 1900's Medicine became highly regulated with all the players looking to the state to protect their turf.

I work for the federal gov and I know for a fact 1) you can't draw 100% of your pay in retirement and 2) once you retire from a federal job, you can't go back to work for the federal gov...

Of the people who get bored in retirement, I wonder if it happens because they don't have enough income to keep themselves occupied? That won't be a problem for me...

To me, retirement is a lifestyle change that I will attempt to navigate to suit my needs and wants the best I possibly can. I expect to continue to have life's curve balls tossed at me until I die and will attempt to manage them the best possible. I hope to be able to choose my retirement choices, but as many have already stated, there are no guarantees no matter what you do. My career is a lifestyle choice that I continue to enjoy immensely and I receive many personal benefits far above just a paycheck, health care, insurance, etc.. Others can do as they please, but don't tell me that one way is better or best compared to other ways. Everyone is different. I'm blessed to have a career and balanced family life that is more or less "living the dream" and I am so grateful that I haven't spent the past 42+ years dreading getting up every morning and wishing I was elsewhere in life. That's MY story and I'm stickin' to it!

Of the people who get bored in retirement, I wonder if it happens because they don't have enough income to keep themselves occupied? That won't be a problem for me...

A lot of men are not prepared for retirement. For many men, their life has revolved around their career more than anything else. Their ego, their status, their self importance, their worth all revolves around their work. Their daily social interaction with others is mostly during work. Many men judge themselves on what they do for a living and how their life is managed around it. When they retire, most lose that big portion of their life and they are not prepared to deal with it. The John Wayne, pull yourself up by the bootstraps that many men hide behind doesn't work. All of a sudden, many are forced to be with their spouse 24/7. Many don't get much social interaction with others. You no longer have that motivation (life purpose) of having to get up every morning and go to work. For many men, that loss of life regiment is hard to deal with.

Oh my, I cannot count on all my digits how many times I have heard "That won't happen to me". A year later they are bored with gardening, fishing, hobbies, whatever they thought Shangri-la was going to be. Lots of men seek part time work after retirement to fill many voids: get out of the house, interact with others, have a purpose to wake up to, all more important than a few extra bucks to blow. My doctor tells me he sees lots of men decline in health (physical and mental) due to not handling retirement well.

Lots of men navigate retirement successfully too, so one cannot paint with a broad paintbrush either way.

Originally Posted by doitmyself

A lot of men are not prepared for retirement. For many men, their life has revolved around their career more than anything else. Their ego, their status, their self importance, their worth all revolves around their work. Their daily social interaction with others is mostly during work. Many men judge themselves on what they do for a living and how their life is managed around it. When they retire, most lose that big portion of their life and they are not prepared to deal with it. The John Wayne, pull yourself up by the bootstraps that many men hide behind doesn't work. All of a sudden, many are forced to be with their spouse 24/7. Many don't get much social interaction with others. You no longer have that motivation (life purpose) of having to get up every morning and go to work. For many men, that loss of life regiment is hard to deal with.

Oh my, I cannot count on all my digits how many times I have heard "That won't happen to me". A year later they are bored with gardening, fishing, hobbies, whatever they thought Shangri-la was going to be. Lots of men seek part time work after retirement to fill many voids: get out of the house, interact with others, have a purpose to wake up to, all more important than a few extra bucks to blow. My doctor tells me he sees lots of men decline in health (physical and mental) due to not handling retirement well.

Lots of men navigate retirement successfully too, so one cannot paint with a broad paintbrush either way.

I know people like this. Their very identity revolves around their job. Though my military career did become part of my identity, I was able to leave that life behind when I retired, but the jobs I've had besides my military career were just jobs to me. A means of paying my bills and supplying me and my family with what we needed. I plan on being very busy in retirement. Hobbies, family, travel, and maybe even some volunteer work are all part of my retirement plans. There will be very few days when I will just be sitting around the house with nothing to do. If my wife and I have nothing going on, we'll hop in the car for a road trip. We have plenty of places to go, and people we know who live all over the country to go visit (friends we made while I was in the Air Force). We will also have the income to do this. This is my plan, but since I've never been completely retired before, I can't know how it will turn out. I'm hoping it all goes as planned...

Back