Just for fun, how are you enjoying your car payment

My parents had a coupe with the 20R engine. I remember putting Hella fogs and a Kamei air dam on it. My buddy remembers me hooking a timing light up to it. Also put a clarion eq amp and Jensen 6x9 coaxes (my buddy insists triaxes but I couldn’t afford those).
My '81 had a 22R engine and 5 speed manual. It was a very trouble free car. We kept it in the family for 13 1/2 years. The biggest problem was that it had stainless steel trim around the wheel wells which was attached with stainless steel screws.

These dis-similar metals resulted in corrosion around all the wheel wells. I think that was actually a mental error by Toyota. The less expensive models didn't have that trim and had fewer corrosion problems.

My '81 had a 22R engine and 5 speed manual. It was a very trouble free car. We kept it in the family for 13 1/2 years. The biggest problem was that it had stainless steel trim around the wheel wells which was attached with stainless steel screws.

These dis-similar metals resulted in corrosion around all the wheel wells. I think that was actually a mental error by Toyota. The less expensive models didn't have that trim and had fewer corrosion problems.
At the time, my buddy’s dad had a 78 530i and a 81 528i and that made me realize the Celica didn’t handle anywhere near those cars. Didn’t cause me to love the Celica any less. As time went on I dreamed of the GT-S.

The wheels and seats were to die for. I think it had 225’s way back in 1984 (14”). Independent rear!

Truth be told I never owned any of these cars and it would be a Volvo 244 that would be my first car…

People may think I'm a bit obsessive (and I probably am) but one of the most valuable things I do is a family net worth every January 1. We add up our assets (bank balance, investments, cash on hand, and our best estimate of today's selling price of our house and cars), minus all debts (current credit cards payable mostly). It only takes a couple of hours and really demonstrates how you're doing over time. Most years our net worth increases.

One of the things I learned right away is that cars are a major money pit. Watching those things depreciate every year (with every dollar of depreciation coming right off your net worth) really gets your attention.

So what to do? - I buy reliable cars (Honda, Toyota (2), Volvo) maintain them really well and keep them practically forever (about 20 years). Even our BMW was quite reliable, and actually cost less to maintain than the Volvo. They're worth almost nothing when we're done with them because they're so old. If they're still reliable we (practically) give them away to family and friends.

Just thought of this. Is a car payment ok if a person has no other payments? No house, no Cc debt, etc.

I would love to see actual numbers. Say a Chevy Tahoe is $80k+. My gut says the minority buys it paid in full with cash. Yet they’re very common, so how do people pay for them is the question.

I think if me, 50% down. Finance rest over 36 mos “if” interest is reasonable. This still equates to $1300/mo., higher than my mortgage was in 2002.

Just thought of this. Is a car payment ok if a person has no other payments? No house, no Cc debt, etc.

I would love to see actual numbers. Say a Chevy Tahoe is $80k+. My gut says the minority buys it paid in full with cash. Yet they’re very common, so how do people pay for them is the question.

I think if me, 50% down. Finance rest over 36 mos “if” interest is reasonable. This still equates to $1300/mo., higher than my mortgage was in 2002.
Yes, a payment is OK, if it makes sense against the context of their complete financial picture.

Even for a person with other debt, like a mortgage, a car payment might make sense, it’s just never that simple when we’re talking about somebody’s overall financial situation and financial plan.

Let’s say a person, a doctor, has a car payment of $875 a month, and they’ve financed it for four years, after putting 20% down on the new car.

Is that bad?

Now, what if that same doctor had an income of over half a million a year, was putting away $100,000 a year in cash, for whatever, and maxing out their investment accounts with an additional $80,000/year.

With all that - would the $875 a month be OK?

Our hypothetical, Dr is doing fine, and having the car payment might allow them to preserve the cash for some other, higher purpose…it just depends on the rest of the context.

because, if our hypothetical $875 a month car payment was being made by somebody who was making $40,000 a year, had no cash in the bank, had no investment portfolio, and didn’t own their own home, I would say they were making a colossal mistake.

because, if our hypothetical $875 a month car payment was being made by somebody who was making $40,000 a year, had no cash in the bank, had no investment portfolio, and didn’t own their own home, I would say they were making a colossal mistake.
And yet that is likely the case for the majority of those making the payments.

this may be true

$729

Average Monthly Car Payments As of 2023, the average monthly car payment for new vehicles is $729. This is a 24.4% increase from 2022, according to the second quarter Experian State of the Automotive Finance
So if you have 2 autos , that would be 1400 and some change...add a rent or house payment and you have a huge budget,,,,if you work at Dollar General or Wilma"s Diner its gotta be tough,,,this is why I drive a 10 year old F150 and I dont work nowdays...retired...I forgot to add child care and you most likely are spending all you make..............its ok to live at home,,where you grew up, makes sense to me...
I like my car payments. $0 a month on my 05 Silverado, my 84 Cutlass and my wifes 2013 Hyundai.

Reactions: hrv
I like my car payments. $0 a month on my 05 Silverado, my 84 Cutlass and my wifes 2013 Hyundai.
Our cars are ‘06, ‘07, and ‘11. Of course no payments. But I want to get a ‘25 or ‘26 and it might even reach $90k with tax etc.

I understand nobody has to have a car that expensive, but for Pete’s sake, it’s a Chevy. Not even a Cadillac. I truly believe my family deserves it. It would be the baddest ride we ever got.

I see myself like that song by Alanis Morissette. A guy waits his whole life to take a flight, the plane crashes, and he thinks, “well isn’t this great.” 😂

Ps that Cutlass sounds sweet! Does it have the rallye wheels??! (Another unrealized dream, a college friend was selling me his ‘79 Monte Carlo but backed out—always preferred the Olds)

Our cars are ‘06, ‘07, and ‘11. Of course no payments. But I want to get a ‘25 or ‘26 and it might even reach $90k with tax etc.

I understand nobody has to have a car that expensive, but for Pete’s sake, it’s a Chevy. Not even a Cadillac. I truly believe my family deserves it. It would be the baddest ride we ever got.

I see myself like that song by Alanis Morissette. A guy waits his whole life to take a flight, the plane crashes, and he thinks, “well isn’t this great.” 😂

Ps that Cutlass sounds sweet! Does it have the rallye wheels??! (Another unrealized dream, a college friend was selling me his ‘79 Monte Carlo but backed out—always preferred the Olds)
I admit it does bother me that I would have to be truck poor and give up putting money away for retirement (I'm 40) to be able to have a nice truck. I am likely going to be eventually seeing 400k miles out of this truck using it daily for work all day.
The Cutlass I bought for $1800 in the early 2000s and put a few thousand into fixing it up. I guess it was a good investment as it's worth more than that now after adding 130k miles. It had chrome rally wheels but they are now 15" American eagle chrome wheels. Nothing special but they were cheap.

How much more did you pay for the truck by giving up your negotiating power though?
None. I called my guy and asked how much for the car and was told my price. It was acceptable so I bought it. About 5-10 minutes with him to get a batch of paperwork ready and about 5-10 minutes with the finance lady to sign 37 times. All done.

No car payments.

3 cars : 13,12,10 years old , and in great shape ( lots of road salt/brine province ).

As long as they look good ( no major rust ) , run well, and are reliable, I have no plans getting rid of them.

The new car rash has long gone. It’s an interesting journey watching your vehicles age gracefully ( and saving money ).

If you do not do rust “ proofing” up here, your vehicle won’t last nearly as long as it could. So far, zero rust.

My vehicles are paid for but I really hate cars these day . I lost any passion and they are just tools to get done what I need them to do.

Back