What do you guys think of the new Nissan 400z?

Another thing about those 90's Japanese sports cars, is that they were built like tanks. They were built to last. Lots of real metal and glass. Really heavy durable cars. Not all this plasticy flimsy crap they're making currently. That was one of the attributes the car reviewers would say about them, how incredibly sturdy the construction of those cars were.
Nothing wrong with plastic. Take the C5 corvette. Those are 2+ decades old and even at 100+ thousand miles many look amazing.

Another thing about those 90's Japanese sports cars, is that they were built like tanks. They were built to last. Lots of real metal and glass. Really heavy durable cars. Not all this plasticy flimsy crap they're making currently. That was one of the attributes the car reviewers would say about them, how incredibly sturdy the construction of those cars were.
You’re also far far more likely to survive a crash in that “plasticy flimsy crap they’re making currently” than those old tanks.

Don’t get me wrong, I love all of them. But technology has moved on to give us greater things.

You’re also far far more likely to survive a crash in that “plasticy flimsy crap they’re making currently” than those old tanks.

Don’t get me wrong, I love all of them. But technology has moved on to give us greater things.

Exactly. Most people have never heard of crumple zones or understand how they work. The cars are basically made to be totalled in a collision because that's how they can absorb as much of the impact as possible and take it away from the occupants. It's why people are able to walk away from collisions that would have immediately killed them back in the day.

While the exterior may appear lightweight and "flimsy" the frame is more advanced than ever.

Small overlap, let alone passenger small overlap, wasn't even a thought in 1990.

Reactions: Ws6
Exactly. Most people have never heard of crumple zones or understand how they work. The cars are basically made to be totalled in a collision because that's how they can absorb as much of the impact as possible and take it away from the occupants. It's why people are able to walk away from collisions that would have immediately killed them back in the day.

While the exterior may appear lightweight and "flimsy" the frame is more advanced than ever.

Small overlap, let alone passenger small overlap, wasn't even a thought in 1990.
I **** near got hit head on by a dumb c*** that ran a light,crossed into my lane,and totaled my Z. Trust me,those 90s Japanese cars are MUCH more durable than the current ones.

I hate the current school of automotive design the requires a Big Ugly Grille. But the 400Z's BUG isn't as bad as the Lexus grille, or the big Bimmer kidneys.
And I'm not liking the high door sills/gun slit windows. GM's used that design vocabulary to ruin the last two Camaros.
I wish Nissan would have just mildly modernized the original 240Z. Put the modern mechanicals in a chassis, and wrap the old body around it.

400 hp is nice, but is it enough?

I hate the current school of automotive design the requires a Big Ugly Grille. But the 400Z's BUG isn't as bad as the Lexus grille, or the big Bimmer kidneys.
And I'm not liking the high door sills/gun slit windows. GM's used that design vocabulary to ruin the last two Camaros.
I wish Nissan would have just mildly modernized the original 240Z. Put the modern mechanicals in a chassis, and wrap the old body around it.

400 hp is nice, but is it enough?

Hard to imagine we're at a point where we're asking if 400 HP is enough. My WRX is only rated for 268 HP and that's at the crank I believe. Wheels are more like 220 HP. Without launching it (getting into first gear lightly and then hammering it after) I can get it to 60 MPH in 6 seconds. For a daily driver I think it's pretty good. Can't imagine nearly double the power. It's already quick enough to send me to prison.

I think after a certain point HP doesn't matter, but how the power is delivered and put down is far more important. It's why a GT86/BRZ is able to keep up with a Cayman in the corners.

I'd rather take a BRZ with my WRX's engine than a 500 HP boat.

Hard to imagine we're at a point where we're asking if 400 HP is enough. My WRX is only rated for 268 HP and that's at the crank I believe. Wheels are more like 220 HP. Without launching it (getting into first gear lightly and then hammering it after) I can get it to 60 MPH in 6 seconds. For a daily driver I think it's pretty good. Can't imagine nearly double the power. It's already quick enough to send me to prison.

I think after a certain point HP doesn't matter, but how the power is delivered and put down is far more important. It's why a GT86/BRZ is able to keep up with a Cayman in the corners.

I'd rather take a BRZ with my WRX's engine than a 500 HP boat.
I've driven a lightly modded wrx. My current cx5 does 0-60 in 6.1 and 5-60 in 6.7, so it's similar. Both would leave me wanting a lot more if they were performance vehicles. 400hp is not competitive when a stripper GT is making what, 460? And has been out for a few years already? Maybe in 2010 400hp/35k in a sporty car would work. Today? Ultra low sales volume mainly to Z fans. Just like the 370.

You do realize back in 1993 a stock camaro was laying down sub 6 second 0-60 times and 230-250whp while getting similar or better mpg to your wrx? Subaru has an engine deficiency. Stock and modded. I view them more as playful sedans than sports cars. They handle well, but otherwise are similar to the 2.0L accord and Camry xse.

400hp is not competitive when a stripper GT is making what, 460? And has been out for a few years already? Maybe in 2010 400hp/35k in a sporty car would work. Today? Ultra low sales volume mainly to Z fans. Just like the 370.
Better than Toyota who sells a $50k BMW powered sports car making under 400hp.

Japan is destroyed by american muscle.

i will consider the Z but most likely my 2021 car money goes to a Camaro LT1 V8 6MT with just the radio upgrade option. 36k and sick torque.

Hopefully it's actually fast. The two previous generations were quite of a let down, even more so that VSC couldn't be completely turned off.

Better than Toyota who sells a $50k BMW powered sports car making under 400hp.

Japan is destroyed by american muscle.

i will consider the Z but most likely my 2021 car money goes to a Camaro LT1 V8 6MT with just the radio upgrade option. 36k and sick torque.
The supra puts 339hp and 427# to the wheels, stock. Its vastly underrated. 0-60 in 3.8, as well as a quarter mile at 12.3@113.

LT1 camaro makes 405/405 to the tires. 60hp more, 25 pounds of torque less. 0-60 in 3.9, and 1/4 in 12.2@118 with the 10 speed auto, which is the quickest option.

The supra is just fine compared to the camaro.

The 400z? It's just pulling the driveline from the qx50 Red, which is slow all get out in its class, at 4.5 to 60, and runs the quarter in 13.0.

Hopefully it's actually fast. The two previous generations were quite of a let down, even more so that VSC couldn't be completely turned off.
VSC was fine, and I found the vq37 to be quite plenty in my 370, for what it was. This was back in 2012 though. Nowadays it needs more.

The supra puts 339hp and 427# to the wheels, stock. Its vastly underrated. 0-60 in 3.8, as well as a quarter mile at 12.3@113.

LT1 camaro makes 405/405 to the tires. 60hp more, 25 pounds of torque less. 0-60 in 3.9, and 1/4 in 12.2@118 with the 10 speed auto, which is the quickest option.

The supra is just fine compared to the camaro.

The 400z? It's just pulling the driveline from the qx50 Red, which is slow all get out in its class, at 4.5 to 60, and runs the quarter in 13.0.
Supra is still 15k more than camaro. Camaro is all motor, all torque. I love the brute torque availiable at any RPM without any boost. I suppose if you dropped that extra 15k into an LT4 you would have absurd power levels. Even if the supra was the same price it has no manual transmission option.

if you could option the GM 6.2 in the supra or the new Nissan would you not? I sure would.

Supra is still 15k more than camaro. Camaro is all motor, all torque. I love the brute torque availiable at any RPM without any boost. I suppose if you dropped that extra 15k into an LT4 you would have absurd power levels. Even if the supra was the same price it has no manual transmission option.

if you could option the GM 6.2 in the supra or the new Nissan would you not? I sure would.

The Supra makes over 400# of torque to the rear tires by 2000rpm...

Also, no, I would not put that LT1 in either of those cars. It makes good power, but man, it's one of the few engines you see eating itself during new car reviews, lol!

GM stopped making reliable engines after the LS3, IMO.

Yes, the Supra costs more. Yes, it's easy to get a lot of power out of without spending $15K on an LT4 in addition, lol. A tune and a downpipe+exhaust = 450whp and around similar torque. That's over 100whp more than stock, where it was running 12.3's and 0-60 well under 4 seconds already...

My buddy has this exact car sitting in his garage. Well maybe its a 91 or 92.
32,000 miles on it. He bought it new. Hasn't driven it since 1998.
They're so much fun to drive!! Mine was my daily driver. Best car I ever had.

The Supra makes over 400# of torque to the rear tires by 2000rpm...

Also, no, I would not put that LT1 in either of those cars. It makes good power, but man, it's one of the few engines you see eating itself during new car reviews, lol!

GM stopped making reliable engines after the LS3, IMO.

Yes, the Supra costs more. Yes, it's easy to get a lot of power out of without spending $15K on an LT4 in addition, lol. A tune and a downpipe+exhaust = 450whp and around similar torque. That's over 100whp more than stock, where it was running 12.3's and 0-60 well under 4 seconds already...
I would like to know where these LT V8 failures are. Sources? Outside of a few under warranty defects (they sell hundreds of thousands of 6.2 engines a year) i'm not seeing many.

It's more than the numbers on a dyno or a time slip, it is the driving sensation of the N/A V8. The TR-6060 manual transmission is the best. A turbo car just won't have the same response. A turbo automatic car even worse. A turbo automatic is just a fast car and that is somewhat fun but you still get whooped by a Tesla Model 3P. People have taken even the lowly MK7 Sportwagen/Alltrack into the 11s with enough mods.

Just for fun: Base Camaro LT1 with destination = 34995. Supra with destination $51985 so you have $16990 to mod a camaro.

That could be fully upgraded suspension, wheels, tires. Supercharger, heads, cam, tune, headers, exhaust. Probably at least 700whp. All on a easy to work on engine that has endless aftermarket support/upgrade options. If you had to have a track monster you'd be better off negotiating a Camaro ZL1 than building a base Camaro or a Supra. Just my opinion, for street driving, the N/A Camaro is the right amount of power and its torque/throttle response feels amazing.

Back