What do you guys think of the new Nissan 400z?

First of all, I'm just grateful this car exists at all and that Nissan is making it. Manual, RWD, Turbo, proper coupe.

I love everything but the rear end, but I think it might look better in person. Interior looks good,

For something that's like a baby GTR, it looks like a solid package. One of the few driver's cars left.

Last edited:
I kind of like the rear except for the carbon fiber diffuser mess at the bottom of the bumper.

It would be nice to see it in a different color, maybe a metallic dark blue or British racing green. I think it looks good though, I like the tie ins to the older models without going full retro.

I kind of like the rear except for the carbon fiber diffuser mess at the bottom of the bumper.

It would be nice to see it in a different color, maybe a metallic dark blue or British racing green. I think it looks good though, I like the tie ins to the older models without going full retro.
Blacked out Zs and red Zs always looked awesome too!! I would also like them to have the door handles going horizontal vs vertical. I never liked those vertical door handles. I think it messes up the flow of the body lines.

I wish Nissan would continue with the Z32's styling.

Good looking car. All the pictures and videos I’ve seen show the same lime green one. Not the best color to preview with.

The interior looks like a melding of traditional and modern. The pics I saw show the end HVAC vents in the door next to the handle. Interesting placement. The seats look great.

I understand they're taking inspiration from the square grilles of the old 240z, but to me, that front opening is too big of a maw (though nowhere as bad as the buck teeth BMW has put on its new models).

And as much as I liked the 90s ZX, I don't think the theme of its taillights fit with that of the classic silhouette. I would have taken cues from another in the lineage, not that generation.

Thanks for the post. I was was hoping they would be going back to the sleeker look of the original 240Z instead of the “pleasingly plump” look of the 350Z. And, wasn’t it time to do something about the big square grill? 😁

I'd like to see the price tag which is probably more than the Civic Type R. Would be fun to use the money differance assuming the Nissan is more to build up the Civic so about the same cost is in both. Then have a competitive race!

I think it looks great, hopefully they will trim the weight, and perhaps change the front lamps to make them more in the shape of the original 240Z in a modern iteration.

Just the fact that Nissan is offering a proper manual gear shift should get a lot of praise.

Hopefully Nissan will be going back to their roots, that is what might turn them around. That includes bringing back the Japanese quality levels.

I am a former 370Z owner and don't find the new 400Z attractive at all. Maybe it's the color combo of the Proto model that you can see on Youtube.
But it looks ricer to me. I don't care for the black roof and mirrors. Looks like the vinyl wraps and/or faux carbon fiber that you can get at Pep Boys. The headlights look stupid with the LED strips at the top & bottom, like they are wearing eye makeup. The rear is so-so but could have been done better. The grill opening is also not well executed. Maybe the final production models will look better. I applaud the upgrade in HP and offering of the 6MT.
They need to fire the designers. I'll bet this particular iteration doesn't go more than 2 model years before some rather substantial restyling.

The vents in the door have been a feature since the Z32 version which came out in 1989.

I think this new Z car looks great. It's a nice evolution of the car, and I'm glad that Nissan is keeping it around. It will be interesting to see if they upgraded the manual transmission and components from the current generation.

Good looking car. All the pictures and videos I’ve seen show the same lime green one. Not the best color to preview with.

The interior looks like a melding of traditional and modern. The pics I saw show the end HVAC vents in the door next to the handle. Interesting placement. The seats look great.

The vents in the door have been a feature since the Z32 version which came out in 1989.

I think this new Z car looks great. It's a nice evolution of the car, and I'm glad that Nissan is keeping it around. It will be interesting to see if they upgraded the manual transmission and components from the current generation.

That I didn’t know. Then again it was a long time ago when I last sat in a Z.

Back