What do you buy for $50k?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: biggusblockus
Audi S6 with the V8 4.0 twin turbo. Amazing engine and interior.

If you can find one CPO they are a fun and a decent value.

yes, i am looking into this as well, although i have read some complaints about its 7speed trans.

Originally Posted By: ammolab
Chevy SS Sedan. Last of the V8 4dr mussle cars. (Under $50K)

Right, but I dont find its interior classy. Subjective, I know.

Spending $50k is hard enough. Spending $50k on a Kia would be even harder I'm afraid.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Spending $50k is hard enough. Spending $50k on a Kia would be even harder I'm afraid.
smile.gif

Yup, and it's giving up 120HP to the Charger and the interior doesn't look any better, in fact the seats look a lot cheaper than the Laguna seats, but I haven't sat in them so maybe they are better in person?

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: JLTD
How about a used RS5 for 40-something?

You sure you don't want a Camaro?
lol.gif

QUITE sure thank you.

Originally Posted By: JLTD
How about a used RS5 for 40-something?

It does not have 4 doors.

Yeah sorry, short edit time...

S6?

Originally Posted By: Jimkobb
2 1/2 Corollas.

This reminds me of a conversation I overheard at the Toronto Auto Show last month. My son and I were in the exotic car section and one teenager said to his buddies "do you know how many Corollas I could buy for the price of that!"
lol.gif

CPO 440i Gran Coupe? With the M Sport Package and the M Performance Power and Sound Kit- you get 355 hp and 369 lb-ft of torque. When I worked at BMW I drove one for a few days and it was a blast; yes, the steering could use more feel but it was still very impressive. The exhaust burble/popping on the overrun is worth the price of admission alone...

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
The Kia Stinger is worth considering

You can also get a RWD IS300 within your budget too
smile.gif

Ditto on the Stinger! GT2 version.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I'd let my Carrera go and pick up and yellow 996 C4S or Turbo.

+1. I can't see putting $50k to a daily driver that is a depreciating asset.

Nothing wrong with buying a $50k+ car; it's a daily driver that's the rub. It's literally leaving dollar bills on the road mile by mile for monotonous duty. And that's not just a matter of "luxury" vehicles. The obscene pricing on full size trucks and SUVs is similar.

Id rather buy a new vehicle for $30k, which is about average, and then have something worthwhile to keep nice. Having the other vehicle keeps mileage down.

Just another perspective.

As you can see from the cars people buy on BITOG and posting photos.... there's many people that can legitimately afford a $50,000 vehicle and not have any negative effects on their financial security.

I'm fortunate to fall into that club, but note what caught my eye. A high end Porsche. As I said, nothing wrong with expensive vehicles, but IMO there's a difference between having a top notch high end car and leaving dollar bills on the highway driving for monotonous routine purposes...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Id rather buy a new vehicle for $30k, which is about average, and then have something worthwhile to keep nice. Having the other vehicle keeps mileage down.

Right, but then you are paying for insurance, registration, and maintenance on two vehicles.

I work from home, so I don't really put on too many miles anyway.

Not sure I see an issue there. I do so for six vehicles, if you don't drive much then maintenance isn't much. Insurance? Meh. Even in expensive NJ it's not a lot for million dollar coverage with a decent record. We pay a little over $3k/yr for all ours. A $50k "daily" driver will depreciate far more than that yearly... $50k into a lightly used Porsche, Vette, SL, etc. may not and should yield more driving enjoyment when you choose to do so...

But I'm not looking to argue just provide a different viewpoint.

Quote:
Even in expensive NJ it's not a lot for million dollar coverage with a decent record. We pay a little over $3k/yr for all ours.
Here in MI we pay $2k/yr just for the 2 vehicles in my sig, even with multipolicy and other discounts.
Quote:
A $50k "daily" driver will depreciate far more than that yearly... $50k into a lightly used Porsche, Vette, SL, etc. may not and should yield more driving enjoyment when you choose to do so...

But I'm not looking to argue just provide a different viewpoint.

Understand, but I really dont see a point in owning multiple vehicles when I barely drive at all. I am not a car collector, nor do I have space for them. The all digital cockpit in the S5 is really cool, and it will be a while before used ones come off leases. But I will consider some other CPO vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back