What do you buy for $50k?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: pandus13
QP,

Inquiring minds wants to know:

What rocks your ... tires on the road?

As per my original post, I am looking for a combination of refinement/class as well as driving excitement/performance. These seem to be somewhat mutually exclusive, which is probably why I am having such a hard time finding something that fits the bill. I think I am down to Charger SRT and CPO Audi S6, but I really can't decide between the two.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I think I am down to Charger SRT and CPO Audi S6, but I really can't decide between the two.

If these two meet the "driving excitement/performance" criteria, would you have a chance to find a good auto interior/upholstery non-ricer shop to meet the refinement/class also?

After all, you do keep your vehicles 8-10+ years.

And like the guys here say: Life is too short to not drive something exciting....

Originally Posted By: pandus13
I think I am down to Charger SRT and CPO Audi S6, but I really can't decide between the two.

If these two meet the "driving excitement/performance" criteria, would you have a chance to find a good auto interior/upholstery non-ricer shop to meet the refinement/class also?

The SRT definitely ticks the driving excitement checkbox. Its dash/cockpit/center console design just looks very dated and crude to me, and it's not something that can be changed in aftermarket. It's not as easy as just swapping out fabrics.

I have not yet driven the S6. Its interior suits me fine with no modifications needed. However, while I know it's quick, the fact that it's more refined and subdued will probably mean it's somewhat less exciting/thrilling to drive though. Also, since it's a turbo, I'm guessing it's going to be less responsive than the HEMI. Plus the potential repair/upkeep costs of a complicated German V8 engine scare me a bit. The DCT can also be finicky.

Requirements:
- 4 door sedan or 5 door hatchback or wagon
- RWD or AWD
- no 4 cyl engine
- fun to drive
- classy interior
- not horrible reliability, but it does not need to have stellar reliability
- can be new or used, but not too old and no high miles

It can be a new one for up to $50k, or a used one for say $30-35k and keep the rest aside for potential repairs.

I test drove a Charger Scat Pack and Audi S5 Sportback recently. Both kind of fit the bill, but I wish I could have the Charger's engine with S5's interior.

A used Macan S crossed my mind, too, even though it's not a sedan, but it does nearly drive like one.

So, what else should I be looking at?

I'm going to ignore your "requirements", and buy one of the 3 cars that I want that don't meet your list of restrictions:

#1 - Brand new Base Cayman. With discount, I can get a base car with no options for track use, and a turbocharged 300hp Flat 4 for track abuse, and keep my 2015 Base Cayman for normal driving duties with its Flat-6 for right around $50k.

#2 - Brand new Alfa Romeo Gulia. Comes in RWD or AWD, with nice interiors, and 4 doors. But, it comes with a 280 hp Turbocharged 4 cylinder engine.

#3 - Brand new 2018 Mazda 6 Signature. Comes in FWD, and with a 250 hp turbocharged 4 cylinder engine, and an amazing interior.

Of the cars you listed, I would buy the Macan base, or Macan S, but brand new, and have them give me a nice discount.

BC.

I have not yet driven the S6. Its interior suits me fine with no modifications needed. However, while I know it's quick, the fact that it's more refined and subdued will probably mean it's somewhat less exciting/thrilling to drive though. Also, since it's a turbo, I'm guessing it's going to be less responsive than the HEMI. Plus the potential repair/upkeep costs of a complicated German V8 engine scare me a bit. The DCT can also be finicky.

Got a chance to drive a 2013 S6 today, on the lot at an Audi dealer. It had 99K miles on the clock, so it may not have been a representative example, but the lag/delay was really bad when hitting the gas pedal. I'm talking in "S" and "M" modes. Once it got going, it was pulling strong and sounded great though, although less "in your face."

Still, as expected, it was missing that raw thrill/excitement and immediate responsiveness of the SRT.

Got a chance to drive a 2013 S6 today, on the lot at an Audi dealer. It had 99K miles on the clock, so it may not have been a representative example, but the lag/delay was really bad when hitting the gas pedal. I'm talking in "S" and "M" modes. Once it got going, it was pulling strong and sounded great though, although less "in your face."

Still, as expected, it was missing that raw thrill/excitement and immediate responsiveness of the SRT.

I wonder if they share the same problems with Mercedes, there's a reset of the ECU that you can do to make the transmission shift more lively. Might be common to most cars, basically they all learn the driving patterns of the driver and if the previous driver had a light touch, it tends to not shift too aggressively. A reset starts fresh and can wake a car up if you drive it hard to start.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
I wonder if they share the same problems with Mercedes, there's a reset of the ECU that you can do to make the transmission shift more lively. Might be common to most cars, basically they all learn the driving patterns of the driver and if the previous driver had a light touch, it tends to not shift too aggressively. A reset starts fresh and can wake a car up if you drive it hard to start.

I don't think it was a transmission shifting issue because it was just as bad in Manual mode where a shift was not required/expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back