What do ya'll think about this car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW, I believe its been the best selling car in Europe for a few years. The engine is suppose to be pretty solid. The A/T is very overpriced for a 4SP - $1325.

It's got the 1.8 DOHC Ecotec with belt driven cams, built in Hungary. The 4-spd auto is the Aisin-Warner AF17 rated at 170 Nm, and the 5-spd manual is Austrian built F17-5CR, rated at 175 Nm.

Originally Posted By: vlado11
It's got the 1.8 DOHC Ecotec with belt driven cams, built in Hungary. The 4-spd auto is the Aisin-Warner AF17 rated at 170 Nm, and the 5-spd manual is Austrian built F17-5CR, rated at 175 Nm.

Nope, not built in Hungary...it's actually an Opel Astra, built directly in Europe.

I had two for 2.5 weeks while in Germany last October and I have nothing to say but fantastic things to say!

My 2 rentals (both with powered hard top convertables) were both 07 Astras but the first had a 1.6 with 5 speed and heated seats. Low end tq wasn't anthing fun, but wiht the factory 16's offered, I was able to hold a consistant speed of 170-180kph on the Autobahn, but with Ferrari's and Alfas in your rear view mirror once you venture into the passing lane, left me wishing that I had opted for a larger displacement car or at least a car with a turbo-charger to accelerate faster to those blinding speeds of the Autobahn.

My second rental was a 1.6 litre motor(same as what's offered here, save the powered hard-top convertable), and sure it had much more notaceable tq, but it sure sucked back the fuel alot faster when pushed up thru 150-190kph speeds.

Body ridgity on my rentals left alot to be desired. Since it was a Hard top convertable, there were several creaks and groans that became apparent once we travelled into the higher, and colder climate of the Swiss Alps.

Low speed handling on both cars reminded me of my 88 BMW, yet, the elecronic-assisted steering mage the whole expereince of negotiating small euro streets much more enjoyable than anticipated!

In Europe, there's several powertrains offered for the Astra nameplate. Gas models range in size from 1.4 thru turbo charged 2.0 (consideirng the speeds I was able to obtain with the 1.8, made me shiver consideirng what a larger motor with a turbo could accomplish!). Then there's a couple of diesel motors with or without turbos offered, for a total of about 6-7 motors. Then there's also the choice of auto or 5 speed (6 if you have the turbo model).

After driving this car in Germany and Switzerland, I really wished that the Saturn version would be the same. So last month I took a trip to my local Saturn dealer to test drive the N.A. version. The only disappointments came when I noticed no rear fog lights, and no height adjustments for the headlights, different optics for the headlights, and no other versions offered than the 3 and 5 door. In Europe, buyers have both hatches to choose from but also a sedan, wagon, coupe, and hard-top convertable coupes. So basically, whatever target price you hope to keep, there's an Astra model for you!

Aside from the above differences, the car's jsut as enjoyable as the Euro counterpart. When I came back from Germany last fall/winter, I raved to a close friend of mine about how great this little car was, and how much I'd love to own a new Saturn, touting how much better it is than ANY other N.A. car offered. Everything from it's handling, to it's superior build quality and reliable powertrain, and not to mention it's fantastic price advantage over the Japanese and other Euro offereings, make this car UNBEATABLE!!!!!!

The only drawbacks I noticed on the 2 door version (both in HT and onvertable forms) was the rear view when making lane changes, it's nothing short of terrible! I mean they could have saved $ by not having rear 1/4 panel windows!

My other gripe comes from the arrangement of the radio and climate controls. There's a fantastic LED screen in the centre of the dash, but the configuration of the buttons and dials makes a simple task of changing the temp or radio acoustics a chore, causing you to have to take your eyes off the road for several seconds. not good in my books!
Do yourself a favour, if you're reading this review, and find small hatches fun and interesting to drive, you GOTTA get yourself into the drivers seat and test drive one.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
When did Europe evict Hungary?

That's the first thing I thought after reading the above post, not in Hungary, but direct in Europe, as if Hungary was not in Europe.

Yet this website indicates the 1.8L Ecotec IS built in Hungary

http://www.gminsidenews.com/index.php?page=Engine_Guide

Oops, got my geography wrong

...who really cares about that side of the world? i mean come on, who really visits these places as tourist destinations??

regardless, this car rocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back