Please comment about what you think about this vehicle

My brother in law is seriously considering purchasing a 2024 Cadillac XT6 premium luxury with the 3.6 L V6 VT 310 HP engine.

According to the Cadillac website it comes with p235-55r20 all season h-rated blackwall tires and an automatic 9 speed AWD.

That site also says Mlm but I don't have a clue with that stands for?

We were wondering about what the brand of tire and the model of the tires would be?

I guess maybe one or else we'll have to stop by a Cadillac dealer and see if they have that nailed down to something they stay with.

But the real question for the Bob is the oil guy Community is what does everyone think about this vehicle in general for reliability and comfort? Especially the drivetrain?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

There's a reason he's looking at a Cadillac and I'll bet he won't care what BITOG thinks and likely won't keep it long enough for reliability to be a problem. At least it's not a 1.6T or something.

Cadillac fares well in the J.D. Power study, finishing twelfth out of the 33 brands analyzed and behind only Lexus and Genesis for dependability in the luxury brand niche.Apr 28, 2023

I know folks with XT4’s and XT5’s and they have been fine …
the 9 speed was co developed with Ford - and after early day chain issues the 3.6L (upgraded now) has been fine …

Such as? Haven't heard anything since the Firestone Explorer rollover incidents decades ago.
Goodyear Eagle RS-A, Bridgestone Dueler H/L, Continental Crosscontact LX Sport are a few off the top of my head that well underperform on their mileage expectations. Just because they won't explode doesn't mean they are a good tire.

Tell him to enjoy the car. He’s got no control over what GM fits on it.

Later, if he doesn’t like the tires, he can get new ones.

When I bought my new Tundra, in the summer, it came with Bridgestone Dueler H/L. Nice smooth tires.

First snow (truck was in Colorado) they were horrible. Poor traction. I drove carefully that winter, bought better tires the next summer, though I had only put about 10,000 miles on the Bridgestones.

I could have sworn i saw sailun and a few chinese brand tires on new vehicles during the pandemic, including GM, but i stopped since paying attention.

Mileage expectations depend more on how the vehicle is driven than the tire itself.
Yes, but they can have lousy traction all the same. And if one isn’t expecting it, wear out sooner than they think they should. Now one should be able to cover tire replacement costs without issue, but one does like to go in with their eyes open on these sorts of things.

Pittsburgh has plenty of hills and although our winters have been mild recently we still end up with several days of snow each winter. And breaking while going down a hill while going around a bend when there is snow on the road it's pretty demanding of the tires you have on the vehicle. Even if you are an experienced winter driver and therefore are going extra slow in those kinds of conditions.

A vehicle can have all the bells and whistles in the world that there are for drivetrain and braking but if the tires aren't up to the task then you've got big problems.

Back