What causes detergents to decrease in oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Pajero
A VOA of Ultra shows 131 of Boron. My UOA showed Boron as 49. That was my second run of PUP with nothing added. I was wondering why the number changed.

I am thinking you saw an outdated VOA. There is one here from not too long ago that shows a low number. All oils are being reformulated for the new standard.

The VOA for Pennzoil Platinum shows a higher level of boron than Ultra. Ultra has less moly as well.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
A VOA of Ultra shows 131 of Boron. My UOA showed Boron as 49. That was my second run of PUP with nothing added. I was wondering why the number changed.

I am thinking you saw an outdated VOA. There is one here from not too long ago that shows a low number. All oils are being reformulated for the new standard.

The VOA for Pennzoil Platinum shows a higher level of boron than Ultra. Ultra has less moly as well.
Originally Posted By: PimTac

Interesting!

Respectfully,

Pajero

I need to correct something here. While Pennzoil has reformulated since that VOA you posted, my statement above is incorrect. PP has between 50-60 of moly and hardly any boron. That uoa is here: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4496454/Pennzoil_Platinum_5W30,_2011_W#Post4496454

The Ultra has a bit more moly and some boron but the levels on both of these have diminished compared to past analysis reports. That uoa is here: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4465374/PUP_5w-30_-_4,000_miles_-_2017#Post4465374

The only way in which you can make a valid comparison between virgin and used oil is to VOA a sample of the oil before running it.
Formulations change all of the time without any notice and there are also variations between batches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back