what can used oil be used for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We use to own a incinerator, but used natural gas. Then EPA cracked down in incineration so we got out of that business. But, the amount of annual testing was ridiculous. You had to have a scrubber that would specifically address the metals. Everything else, you had to keep it running at least 1200F in order to flash everything but the metals and retention times had to be at least 2-5 seconds before the exhaust would leave the incinerator. I seriously doubt these garage heaters and shop warmers are generating that kind of heat. But if used for private, non commercial use, legally, you can....it's kind of like why you can throw away hazardous materials in your trash can, but you can't if you own a business, consumer commodities. Before the EPA crackdown, I knew a bunch of "recyclers" would come to the businesses and collect the used oil, add diesel fuel to it to bring up the BTU's and thin it out some, and they'd turn around and sell if for 1-2 bucks a gallon. I know Safety Kleen recycles the used oil after cleaning it and then putting certain additives in it. I know, I see their 55 gallon drums all over the motorpools and they met military specs. One thing I use to do with used oil years ago while living in Tennessee, we'd use it for chainsaw lube. Yeah, it's a lot thinner, but you'd definitely have a well oiled chain. One thing you can do, just take it all to a oil changing place when they are closed, put the buckets right outside their door and they will take it. I believe most of those places get a couple of coins per gallon they sell to the recycler.

Do they still oil dirt roads in rural areas? When I was a kid that was a use for waste oil, but man oh man the EPA would lose their minds if you did that today.

Soak fence posts in it or anything to go underground.
Bugs won't touch it.
Also good to paint the bottom of wooden sheds with.
In the south nothing deters bugs better than oil.
I've heard of alot of people painting fence posts with it.
You really think it's any worse than Cresasoat?

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Do they still oil dirt roads in rural areas? When I was a kid that was a use for waste oil, but man oh man the EPA would lose their minds if you did that today.

No, they use a chloride solution for dust control now. Less effective and does wonders to get vehicles to rust
shocked.gif

I have a gas well on my property with a LARGE oil collection tank. I just carry all of my old oil down there and hoist it up to the top of the tank. Open the lid and dump it in. No mess, no fuss.

I have the same issue with used oil piling up faster than extra USB cables. A buddy and I are planning on building a backyard used oil burning foundry for small cast iron parts.

Originally Posted By: NoNameJoe
What happens to any contaminants in it when it's burned for heat? Like fuel, heavy metals and other carcinogens? Is it safe?

It might be a coincidence but my cousin a full time mechanic burnt used oil in a diy garage heater and he died young of cancer.

I wouldn't burn it.

Originally Posted By: barryh
It might be a coincidence but my cousin a full time mechanic burnt used oil in a diy garage heater and he died young of cancer.

I wouldn't burn it.

I wonder if it was vented properly?

I heard of a design that used an enclosed " bed " of saw dust with a 1/4" copper line and valve connected to an oil tyank high enough to gravity feed . The valve was said to be adjusted to allow a drip onto the saw dust , where the oil butned .

I suppose the saw dust acted as a wick .

I certainly woyld vent the heater .

Best of luck to you , :)

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
They don't put anything on the gravel roads around here. Calcium Chloride is used in front of some places where dust is a complainable issue.

A lot of farmers and ranchers use crankcase oil in drip units to heat their work sheds. I got rid of my oil old for years to a feed store that had a large heater that used old oil dripping into a combustion chamber. Always expected that outfit to burn to the ground but its still there.

Get a couple of 50 gallon oil drums. Once you get about 100, there are some places that will pick it up for free. Around here, some of the oil reclaimers actually pay about 50 cents per gallon.

Last edited:
In my area they are just picked up by Safety Kleen and recycled.

My guess is they will refine it and sell the light weight distillate, then the heavier stuff goes into bunker fuel and asphalt. It is probably not a money maker but the government fleet use them for PC reason. Maybe a few discount oil blender or name brand dino use them without telling you too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back