bottom of gas can black?

I bought a 5 gallon gas can off ebay and didn't notice that the bottom was black, until the gasoline was also black in color. What causes this? Now I don't know what to do with this 5 gallons of gas. I mean the can was totally empty at the bottom as in dry as a bone, so what could that black stuff be?

Burn the gas. Think of the proportions of chemicals-- you leached maybe a fraction of an ounce into 640 fl oz of gas. How bad could it be?

I have to ask, is this a "gas can" or a "red can"?

Burn the gas. Think of the proportions of chemicals-- you leached maybe a fraction of an ounce into 640 fl oz of gas. How bad could it be?

I have to ask, is this a "gas can" or a "red can

It's a dedicated gas can, not one of those race cans

I've seen tanks get bacterial growth in fuel cans when the fuel had a high moisture content. Maybe you could buy some type of biocide and use it to see if it removes whatever is turning your tank black.

I've seen tanks get bacterial growth in fuel cans when the fuel had a high moisture content. Maybe you could buy some type of biocide and use it to see if it removes whatever is turning your tank black.
This is just a gas can though. You think maybe they had diesel fuel in it? The problem is I filled it up before I realized, hey I turned the gas dark too.

Gasoline will leave a black goo when it evaporates. Put some solvent in the can and use some kind of brush to break up the goo

Gasoline will leave a black goo when it evaporates. Put some solvent in the can and use some kind of brush to break up the goo
So is it going to clogg up my carb if I run this gas that I just filled up the can with? I honestly just thought it was dark because it was inside the can. I definitely don't think it was a liquidy goo, but just a very thin dry black coating at the very bottom.

The fresh gas will dissolve it. It could plug your carburetor if you let it sit in the carb for days and days, but if you use it up quickly it should be fine. I would dissolve it with carburetor cleaner or b12 chemtool, and then use it to start a fire or dilute it in a bunch of fresh gas and put it in a car

The fresh gas will dissolve it. It could plug your carburetor if you let it sit in the carb for days and days, but if you use it up quickly it should be fine. I would dissolve it with carburetor cleaner or b12 chemtool, and then use it to start a fire or dilute it in a bunch of fresh gas and put it in a car
Guess I have 5 gallons of fire starter now🙄

It definitely dissolved it cause it turned it black as soon as I filled up the can. Usually I rinse out unknown cans

I just checked the can. Was hoping it would settle back to the bottom, but the gas is still black.

Plastic or steel? If steel, probably rust. If plastic... could be anything. You could pour the gas though a coffee filter in a funnel. It's a slow process, but should clean the fuel enough to use.

I use a dedicated 5 gallon gas/diesel container as my used oil container. Even when I make my recycle dump run with it, there is always a black sludge left on the bottom. Someone might have done the same with the container they sold you.

I use a dedicated 5 gallon gas/diesel container as my used oil container. Even when I make my recycle dump run with it, there is always a black sludge left on the bottom. Someone might have done the same with the container they sold you.
Possibly, but I don't think oil dries up. I thought it was just dirt on the bottom of the can itself at first, not on the inside.

Possibly, but I don't think oil dries up. I thought it was just dirt on the bottom of the can itself at first, not on the inside.
Oil eventually does gel and then dries up leaving a residue. Same with other petroleum based chemicals and solvents.

Oil eventually does gel and then dries up leaving a residue. Same with other petroleum based chemicals and solvents.
I guess it's good that nothing is falling out of suspension, so I would assume it won't clogg any filters then whatever it is?

Back