Using those big 2.5 Gallon jugs of Delvac

I have a year old GMC 2500HD AT4 and I'm thinking about doing my own oil change on it as I've done with my prior vehicles. However, I went to grab the oil and the reality just hit about the size of a 2.5 gallon jug of oil. I'll already be on a step ladder to get to the oil filler at the back of the engine. The idea of hoisting up and dispensing oil from that big of a jug has me a bit worried.

How are y'all getting oil from that jug into the truck? Just being a man and pouring it right from the jug? Using some sort of specialty pump? Pouring it into smaller bottles? Letting your wife do it?

1711748817279.jpg

I have a year old GMC 2500HD AT4 and I'm thinking about doing my own oil change on it as I've done with my prior vehicles. However, I went to grab the oil and the reality just hit about the size of a 2.5 gallon jug of oil. I'll already be on a step ladder to get to the oil filler at the back of the engine. The idea of hoisting up and dispensing oil from that big of a jug has me a bit worried.

How are y'all getting oil from that jug into the truck? Just being a man and pouring it right from the jug? Using some sort of specialty pump? Pouring it into smaller bottles? Letting your wife do it?
I bought Delvac 1 ESP like that a couple of times. I just poured it straight from the container, but I did use a funnel.

We used to use 5 gallon pails. Climb up on the frame rail and pour it in. Of course these were 40 qt engines also.

I have a big funnel that helps to pour from 2.5 gal jugs but I've also put them into 5 qt jug to make it easier to pour. Don't bother buying a harbor freight D battery powered siphon pump it just blows bubbles & wastes time as it's not powerful enough. 12v transfer pump of sorts is what you'd need if you wanted to make it easier.

Delvac 1300 is $14.42 in the gallon jugs @ Walmart.com …
Free shipping above $35

I got the same problem.

I bought the 2.5 gallon jugs of 5w40 Rotella T6 at Walmart on clearance and wondered how to pour without making a mess.

I've been using the 12 quart bag-in-box oil lately. I just pour it into a 5qt jug and 1qt bottle I saved, and carry those out from the garage to the vehicle.

I will most likely buy a gallon size plastic lemonade pitcher (heavy duty) from Amazon and pour from big jug.

Last edited:
I've been using the 12 quart bag-in-box oil lately. I just pour it into a 5qt jug and 1qt bottle I saved, and carry those out from the garage to the vehicle.
Yeah - was thinking buy at least a single gallon of Delvac and use that jug with the same funnel … a gallon is just ~7 pounds …

@Scott P I have used 5 gallon jugs and now the 6 gallon boxes of oil for my Ram Cummins. I have kept a couple older 1 gallon containers that I fill up and use to complete the oil changes. Takes longer but also prevents me from guessing how much more. My truck takes 3 gallons.

Just my $0.02

I did some additional searching and found an 8 qt container with spout on Amazon, but it's $25. I might just hoist up this one and worry about it in six months or so.

As an aside, I ordered a jug of Delvac Extreme 15W-40 from Walmart along with the Mobil 1 filter. Only the filter was delivered, but Wally marked both as delivered. so I had to call and get a refund and order again. Either the delivery guy took 2.5 gallons of diesel oil as a tip or he'll get back to the store with an extra item and wonder where it was supposed to go.

Back