What are you working on today?

Only two of us showed up today out of four. Well hardly no major work and since only one lube tech was there we were all voluntold to help them. I didn’t mind they are always nice and always talk about cars so they are all my type of people. Rolled out 29 cars in 10 hours average 30 minutes per car I’d say only 19 were appointments rest were walk ins. One hour for lunch. Also helped remove some Ford swollen lug nuts every single one of them was swollen so we just added it to the shop tab since the customer has always bought and had cars worked on there.
At my work; the title for PM/Oil Changers was “petroleum dispensing technician”. We have two worthless PM techs here nowadays, they don’t care to go above and beyond or even work overtime. The lone one on daylight works at his own pace and is productive as me and older mechanic. That says something

How many hours did you flag?
If you were talking about just that day. I got around 3 total for the lug nuts and then done some brakes before we had to help the others. I can’t remember exact time the lug nut extraction booked for. So 3 hours I believe it was because the brakes took a little while because I had to air hammer the rear rotors off. When you have to do oil changes they give you hourly rate since flat rate for that is only .3 and tire rotations are the same and if they gave us flat rate when helping the hourly guys that would not really be fair. I still have to total everything up and turn it in. I always do it at the end of the week. But I think that’s what I have logged for Wednesday which is when that was.

Finished the water pump job on the 82 Chevy. Ended up power flushing the block, radiator and heater core. Got a lot of nasty stuff out of all. Did three drain and fills with shop water before putting in the final fill. Also changed the oil.

Got given an old Craftman air compressor from maybe the late 80's? It's got what looks like a Campbell Hausfeld twin cylinder single stage pump. It has a serpentine belt instead of a v-belt if that gives an idea... My coworker said it wasn't pumping very well any more.

I ran it a few minutes and then dumped out some completely water saturated chocolate milkshake oil with extra clumps at the bottom. I don't think it's ever been changed. I refilled, ran it, and drained it a couple of times with some conventional 10w40 to flush it out. After confirming that it took an excessive amount time to pump up, I took it apart to find some crusty/rusty reed valves that obviously hadn't been sealing well. A little WD40 and some steel wool cleaned that right up and now I have another nice running air compressor. I'll drain the oil again and fill with compressor oil after I run it a bit to hopefully get the last of the gunk out of the crank case. A plaque on the pump says "ND 30W oil", but I'll see if I can scare up something better.

Have to install that computer in dads truck today. Last time we went to do it they sent the newer style cord and his is the older style so they finally got the other one too us. I don’t feel like fiddling with a bunch of electrical stuff today but it needs to be done so I will.

I changed the spark plugs in my 2011 Lexus GX 460 @146k. I don't know for sure but I think they were the factory plugs. Much to my amazement the factory gap is .044 they were all about .050. I went back with the factory Denso long life plugs. Doesn't seem to run much different at all. I just bought the vehicle, so I'm going through things.

Finally pulled the throttle body off the Talon to clean it. Was an absolute mess! Shoulda waited to put in the new TPS sensor as there's hardly any room with it installed in the car, but ehh lesson learned!

Before:

sibpZDO.jpg

After:

9HYDqET.jpg

You can see the new gasket in the after picture, but it didn't seal complete as the surfaces were slightly marred up from previous work. Sure enough it threw a P1294 code. Took it back off and lightly coated each side with Permatex sealant and all is well. I hate to do things like that, but on a 26 year old car you gotta do what ya gotta do... The Talon lives another day...

Pad slapped the Prius with OEM Toyota pads, but looks like I need to replace the support ledges/abutment clips. Next oil change in 600 miles.

Oh, and I installed this for the neighbors. These iDatalink Maestro modules for OEM/aftermarket radio replacement are awesome.
0ED225E8-75DA-4549-9EB4-25118513AB0A.jpeg

Got the electronic log device fully installed in my dads truck tonight. Worked on it . He only pounded the dash and steering wheel a few hundred times and threw out a bunch of swear words LOL. I told him I’d much rather work on that dash than the one I had to pull the bottom piece off of on a Ford to install a cabin filter on today. Also had to do some engine work on a Subaru and install a new wheel stud for a lube tech. He took it off and the threads came with it. Probably someone got too happy with an impact last time. Of course we put a new lug nut on too.

Getting ready to replace the timing belt on my 2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel. Got everything lined up. Just waiting on a friend to come over and give me a hand. All the parts from the dealer cost me $400. The dealer wanted to charge me $1,200 to replace it along with the water pump, which I'm also doing.

There is also an issue with these 2.0 diesel engines oil tube pick up seal going bad and causing catastrophic damage. It is highly recommended to change it out so I'm on the fence right now about that. I'm at 102.000 miles. Here is some info on it.

There is also an issue with these 2.0 diesel engines oil tube pick up seal going bad and causing catastrophic damage. It is highly recommended to change it out so I'm on the fence right now about that. I'm at 102.000 miles. Here is some info on it.

the subtitles are pretty accurate

Swapped out the Accelerator Pedal sensor on my 2012 Ford Fiesta sedan. Cleared a few Trouble codes and none came back. Just 2 nuts and an electrical connector on top. Purchased a cheap one off eBay, hardest part was the 10 days waiting for delivery

Tackling the front brakes/rotors on the 2006 Corolla (if the weather holds up).
Went with the Raysbestos coated Element3 rotors and Wagner TQ’s.
Got to love the Wagner Thermo Quotes. never dealt with Raybestos, just wash them in Dawn dish soap, a tip from the Wagner Rep.

Back