What are you working on today?

Yes, you'll be so happy that thing should last forever now, and when they have to reseal mine, 2004 Sienna, they'll find the broke off e-Torx head of a stud, there was all the thread left so I just put the nut on and figured it'll get replaced if I ever have to reseal that again...I went with the Permatex Ultra Grey for sealant,.
I used Toyota’s relabel of ThreeBond 1282B at $70/tube. I could have gotten away with Toyota 103 FIPG(relabeled ThreeBond 1207B) or Permatex Optimum Grey/Right Stuff Grey 90 minute. But, the current Toyota pink coolant is pretty aggressive on RTV - even though I used Prestone Cor-Guard for coolant I wasn’t going to take chances. I have a feeling the sebacate organic acid component Toyota specifies in their coolant is much more aggressive on certain elastomers than the deconate/hexanoic acid components of Dex-Cool and AMAM coolants like Prestone.

Last edited:
Lets see.. Today I will be working on my 2010 Crown Vic Police Interceptor. Here are the following items I will be working on:

I am removing my driveshaft, and having new U-joints installed, and the aluminum drive shaft balanced at a local driveline expert.

Front wheel hubs to be R&R'd.

Front and rear brake pads, and a complete brake fluid flush with a power pressure bleeder (they are amazing!)

Alternator, tensioner assembly, idler pulley.

Sorting through the wiring harness to repair a non functioning horn (accidently cut the wire).

Got the timing belt changed out on my 2014 Cruze diesel. Super easy and next time will be stress free. This was before I pulled the old one off. Once off I bent it backwards and no cracks showed up. Strange really at 102k miles and being 8yrs old. The car was built Aug of 2013 as a 2014 model.
thumbnail_IMG_9840.jpg

Getting ready to change the oil in my moms car. Today at work got the pleasure of doing an oil change on a Corvette they told me it was my turn to get to raise one. Luckily my dealership has almost every brand because we sell pretty much every brand so I had to go to the Chevy shop and ask for the special lifting pins. Luckily it survived haha. It was sketchy raising it. It was a 2000 model. Then I replaced all timing components on a 2009 Subaru Outback. And done a warranty replacement strut on a Subaru 10,000 miles and it was pouring which made it fail inspection. And helped a new guy get used to the place gave him a tour and….. found out they have hired someone without tools again 😡. That slows me down since I am training he has to use my stuff so whatever I don’t have duplicates of I have to wait on if he or the other guy is using it. If it was up to me they wouldn’t have a job as a mechanic without tools.

And he slams my box shut so everything I have standing falls over. I told him about it and he said he would work on not closing it as hard. I told him if it happened again he’d be using someone else’s stuff because I am very particular and stickler for everything being in place. He seems like a decent mechanic so hopefully everything will work out he said he will buy a toolbox when the Snap-on guy comes on Thursday. He is one that believes everything has to be Snap-on so yeah… lol. Ok rant over that’s my work day today.

Forgot to mention; oil and filter, transmission fluid change, and power steering fluid change. Also inspecting diff fluid.

Forgot to mention we replaced the rear main seal plate on the Tahoe while the transmission was out.

Today I replaced inner and outer tie rod ends, idler arm and pitman arm on a 95 Chevrolet C1500.

Decided to take off plastidip off winter alloy wheels. They were peeling off and wanted to go back to silver finish after four winters.

Did research and thought using rubber decal remover would be the easiest. Wrong. It did take plastidip off flatter surface of the wheel, but that was about it (lots of curve on each spoke) while eating through half of the remover on just one wheel. Tried WD40, but it looked like one hour of scrubbing per wheel. Ain't got no time for that.

Goo Gone was next agent of choice and it seemed to loosen it up decently, but it was slow and didn't feel like running out to the store for another bottle at $15. I settled on using gasoline on hand and it took only a couple of coats, light rub with nylon brush, and a half roll of paper towel to remove with little elbow grease. I think I used about 1L so it cost about $1.50 of 91 octane. Did this work outside with plenty of ventilation and no flammables nearby. A final rinse with water and let them dry before putting on storage for next month's changeover.

My Costco tower Fan decided to stop working. Looked at some possible fixes on YouTube and one guy washed his Honeywell tower Fan with a hose, let it dry and then lubricated the two shafts at the bottom and top. I used my air compressor and blow nozzle to get the loose dirt out and then removed the top control panel and sprayed WD 40 in the top and bottom shafts. Almost as good as new. Sorry didn't take pics of it when it was apart. Remove the rear screws in the handle and three screws to hold down the control panel and the top of the shaft is visible.

Attachments

• IMG_20210908_211334351.jpg
    IMG_20210908_211334351.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20210908_211340914.jpg
    IMG_20210908_211340914.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 6
Added a Kasa three way switch to the garage. Had a bit of trouble getting this to work at first. It's handy now I can control my lights from my phone.

It's handy when you pull into your driveway and you can turn on the outside lights of your house before you get out of your vehicle.

Attachments

• IMG_20210908_211700905.jpg
    IMG_20210908_211700905.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20210908_211709004.jpg
    IMG_20210908_211709004.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20210908-212337.jpg
    Screenshot_20210908-212337.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: GON
Helped a friend replace the fuel pump in his 98 Chevrolet K2500. Tomorrow I've got an Equinox coming to do front and rear brakes on. Trying to put back some cash to get the motor rebuilt in my Dodge.

I’ve always been curious about those Chinese Android units I seen people install myself. I’ve used a Linux one in a Tacoma, I wasn’t impressed.
I'd give it an 8/10

It's Android 10 powered, and so far hasn't missed a beat

$9 got me the correct antenna adapter, FM is now strong but AM is poor

No big deal, the main driver usually streams

PXL_20210910_223417353.jpg

Today I'm working on staring at my car and trying to tally up the increasingly long list of work it needs

Just about at 179k, I really need to get on that timing belt, VC gaskets, engine mounts, and control arms

Because she's starting to feel a bit tired 😳🥺

I'm still not quite over that crumpled rear quarter

FYI, VikingContact7s aren't as good as the WinterContact SI

Brakes are gonna need attention, I might swap out to ES330 dual piston calipers in the front, SS lines all around, and a proper fluid flush with the fancy new SpeediBleeder I dropped big $$$ on

I might attempt to free the stuck caliper on the rear of Project Milan, diagnose whether I need to order a rear caliper for the impending pad/rotor/flex hoses all around job coming soon

228CFE85-3CDF-4CA5-BFB8-E04132389843.jpeg

parents ordered a new washing machine. Installed new Dahl shut-offs but I goobered one of them up. Also, their laundry room is need of a fresh coat of paint. Yes, Behr is cheaper but why(though in Behr’s defense, their Ultra line isn’t bad - but the price difference between their Marquee/Dynasty lines is within striking distance of Ben Moore and CA/TX based Kelly-Moore)?

Last edited:
Reactions: JC1
Went and looked at a 99 Dodge Durango last night. Go to pick it up later on in the morning. 5.9 Magnum, auto, 3.55 with the towing package. Leather interior with 3rd row seating and rear air. Needs some TLC but everything is mostly incidentals. 129k miles.

Attachments

• received_336034014986652.jpeg
    received_336034014986652.jpeg
    60 KB · Views: 14
T-mobile gateway.
T-mobile was never great in my area.
Tried out their new gateway and as usual I only get two bars but at $50 a month unlimited and all costs inclusive with a simple setup by the owner it is worth it.

You can take it house to house and even though I have a weak signal in my area it is still right now 12x faster than my DSL....

Next I will try to add a external antenna.

20210912_115209.jpg

Back