What are you working on today?

Reinstalled the recharged battery in the Cub Cadet 46” lawn tractor and changed the oil. Used 10W30 from Walmart in the SuperTech brand, and a Wix filter replacing the Baldwin I had on it.

Did some yard cleanup but nothing else of note. 😁

'99 Escalade with psycho right stop/tail/turn. Narrowed it down to the connector plate. Ordered one on RA, waited FOREVER as I chose cheap shipping and DHL to USPS is ridiculous.

Then, new part was defective. It would make the signal work if I held the bulb just right. Frustrating after being patient.

Finally ordered a replacement from O'Reilly and it worked great. At least RA refunded me and didn't want the part back.

Both TYC but packaged differently. Both made in Taiwan. Bad RA in box on left. Good O'Reilly came in clamshell center. Old part on right.
20240507_125610.jpg

1999 Buick LeSabre
Turned front brake rotors, replaced brake pads, rotated tires, changed oil

2007 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
Extracted a broken off engine dipstick tube. Thought I had an extra one for a 5.3 this model but I don't. Customer ordered a new one from local Chevy dealer. I'll install it tomorrow

Installed the new engine dipstick on the 2007 Silverado. 2012 Hyundai Accent got new spark plugs, coils, air filter and an oil change.

On the Silverado, the tube had broken flush with the block. I was able to take the sway bar mounts loose and let it hang from the end links, take the starter loose and let it hang to the side, and thread a large sheet metal screw into the tube with a 1/4 inch ratchet and 13mm socket. Then I put a pry bar against the shoulder of the screw and tapped it with a hammer. Lifted the broken tube right out. Otherwise I would've had to pull the oil pan and knock it out from inside the block. 😬 Customer was quite pleased.

My old JD F510 has always (it seems) had an issue with too slow in reverse, really not enough power. I put blocks on the pedal so I got more travel before the pedal disappears under the floor. Been like this for +20 years. it also has a habit of breaking the cable that the pedals use for forward and rev to control the hydraulic flow. This was very hard to change as access to the pedal end is non existent without stripping the fenders steering columns and floor deck. So bad the manual does not even mention how to change it. Just adjust. I have cut an access hole in just above it in the plastic floor.

But anyway I decided to proactively change the cable thinking it was too stretched to make the roller on the cam work like it should. And also trying to actually adjust like it should be. But the new cable was just as bad.

Fiddling around with my had while actuating it I felt something at the bottom, pulled it off and it was a piece of magnet that had been there for years. It would stop and jam against the frame. I figured I must have used it to try and fish something out 20 years ago and lost the magnet never noticing...

So any way it's works like new I guess. The cost of the cable has gone up from $90 to $200 over the years. They seem to last about 4 or so year when I was using it a lot. I keep a new one on hand as it is totally disable it when it breaks. You fix it were it dies. The old one was a a bit stretched but still good for emergency use.

Not much… nothing on the schedule that I can do in my current work environment. No lift and I need it for the engine replacements I have to do. 🤔. I’m working up a fix for that.

I’ll probably sub that out to another guy for now.

Meanwhile I went to straighten up my tool box, put things back where they belong, charge my Milwaukee and now Hercules power tool batteries, and locate the parts I don’t need for resale. There are a few.

Then this afternoon I saw a car for sale online that I know well. Someone is selling due to “blown engine”. 🤨🤔😁

So that made me decide to take on installing my winch onto my car trailer so that I can make pickups of these projects easier. If only a bit. I’ll start working up that project starting tomorrow.

I doubt anyone is looking into it soon and if it sells in the next week, whatever. There will be another.

This evening I installed a Dorman lower control arm and Moog sway bar endlinks in my son's Buick. The front bushing in the control arm was completely busted allowing 3/4 of all inch of play and the bolt on one endlink had corroded down and broken.

Found coolant leak in inverter cooling system on '13 Highlander hybrid. These particular rads are seemingly not available aftermarket and $500+ new for OEM. I find it a bit abusive because it appears to be nothing more than a small aluminum radiator. I'll be calling some JYs that might ship. If anyone has suggestions I'm open to them
20240509_165239.jpg

Then, in my best attempt to be as cool as @14Accent (I'm failing at this attempt, BTW), I was asked to fix a mower deck on a Cub Cadet.
20240510_080831.jpg

This guy runs a small lawn service but he's a mess. Always broke ‐‐ both his wallet and his equipment-- and everything's an emergency but he can barely pay me.
20240509_184425.jpg

I told him it won't be pretty, but he wouldn't care anyway. I welded it back in place as best I could then added a bit of strapping and a gusset to try to spread the load across the deck a bit more. Honestly, it's 10X stronger than the booger welds from the factory.
20240509_194613.jpg

CAF time on the 911/996 and 986S. This and the 986S are the easiest CAF r&r's of anything own.

I installed a Czech made Mann & Hummel to replace a German Hengst, both carbon types. Interesting that the M&H has slightly more and thicker pleats, weighed noticeably more and had a secondary mounting lug. I assume M&H is the OEM, but both are quality filters. Boxster gets the plain filter; no need for activated carbon for 90% open driving.

CAF996.jpg

CAFsmhh996.jpg

Found coolant leak in inverter cooling system on '13 Highlander hybrid. These particular rads are seemingly not available aftermarket and $500+ new for OEM. I find it a bit abusive because it appears to be nothing more than a small aluminum radiator. I'll be calling some JYs that might ship. If anyone has suggestions I'm open to them
View attachment 218676
Then, in my best attempt to be as cool as @14Accent (I'm failing at this attempt, BTW), I was asked to fix a mower deck on a Cub Cadet.
View attachment 218677
This guy runs a small lawn service but he's a mess. Always broke ‐‐ both his wallet and his equipment-- and everything's an emergency but he can barely pay me.
View attachment 218678
I told him it won't be pretty, but he wouldn't care anyway. I welded it back in place as best I could then added a bit of strapping and a gusset to try to spread the load across the deck a bit more. Honestly, it's 10X stronger than the booger welds from the factory. View attachment 218679
I'm totally ignorant when it comes to hybrids; that inverter radiator - can it be repaired at a local radiator shop?

Edit: Never mind. Just came across your follow-up post. It's nice when the customer doesn't squawk about the price and just wants it fixed.

Back