What are you working on today?

2012 Dodge Charger auction rat with a Pentastar, Cylinder 6 misfire.

Diagnosed with a vacuum gauge, Low vacuum with a slight oscillating dip once it rested at base idle. Tore the intake & valve cover off & found a broken intake cam from the rear cam cap not being torqued, One bolt sheared & the other was just really loose.

I don't see any damage to the head or cap. I really think I can install a B2 intake cam & fix it.

r48WZpg.jpeg

ZKelySR.jpeg

Vqjxrch.jpeg

Diagnosed with a vacuum gauge, Low vacuum with a slight oscillating dip once it rested at base idle. Tore the intake & valve cover off & found a broken intake cam from the rear cam cap not being torqued, One bolt sheared & the other was just really loose.

I don't see any damage to the head or cap. I really think I can install a B2 intake cam & fix it.

r48WZpg.jpeg

ZKelySR.jpeg

Vqjxrch.jpeg
How happen Kimosabe?

r48WZpg.jpeg

ZKelySR.jpeg

Vqjxrch.jpeg
The rare v5 pentastar

Loose from later work or factory or ?

After closer inspection & replacing the camshaft.....Someone has definitely been in there!
Broken valve cover bolt (arrow) & ALL the cam cap bolts where buggered....Replaced all the cam cap bolts on this bank. Was able to extract the broken valve cover bolt with little effort.

OE Mopar cam which was cheaper than the Melling offering, Though $350 is expensive for a Cast (SADI) cam with 6 lobes!!

The rear cam cap was also loose on the Exhaust Cam, Customer decline to have bank 1 checked.....He'll have his "mechanic's" do it.

Runs like a new one!!!

Hg3hubK.jpeg

aysMsK3.jpeg

Last edited:
This is the tool kit I used, HERE

The cam lock tools are labeled wrong.....The one labeled Right is for Bank 2 on the driver side (Left).
The hook pin needed some material ground off to fit between the timing cover & tensioner (To pull up the locking pawl).

Reactions: D60
This is the tool kit I used, HERE

The cam lock tools are labeled wrong.....The one labeled Right is for Bank 2 on the driver side (Left).
The hook pin needed some material ground off to fit between the timing cover & tensioner (To pull up the locking pawl).
If anyone's feeling cheap, I think this is the same kit for $17 rather than $27 on Amazon

edit: I think you just don't get the case

Didn't get any pics but I took apart the cheapo Lasko box fan I keep on all the time in my bedroom, because it started chirping I usually keep a 2 or 4in pleated filter behind it so the motor was really dust free, the bearings just needed a little oil since I bought it in 2018 and it's been running probably 98% of the time since I bought it so it's got like 40-45,000hrs on it and never been taken apart and reoiled

Didn't get any pics but I took apart the cheapo Lasko box fan I keep on all the time in my bedroom, because it started chirping I usually keep a 2 or 4in pleated filter behind it so the motor was really dust free, the bearings just needed a little oil since I bought it in 2018 and it's been running probably 98% of the time since I bought it so it's got like 40-45,000hrs on it and never been taken apart and reoiled
Now that's what I call economizing. Amazing it's run that long.

Reactions: D60
Yesterday

2013 GMC Terrain 2.4 4 cylinder
Replaced spark plugs, coils, air filter, right front wheel hub, front sway bar links, changed oil

2007 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3
Diagnosed with no oil pressure, lifters stay bled down, won't build compression. Boss is deciding if it gets an engine of if it's parts.

2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.3 V8
Tire rotation, brake inspection, oil change

After closer inspection & replacing the camshaft.....Someone has definitely been in there!
Broken valve cover bolt (arrow) & ALL the cam cap bolts where buggered....Replaced all the cam cap bolts on this bank. Was able to extract the broken valve cover bolt with little effort.

OE Mopar cam which was cheaper than the Melling offering, Though $350 is expensive for a Cast (SADI) cam with 6 lobes!!

The rear cam cap was also loose on the Exhaust Cam, Customer decline to have bank 1 checked.....He'll have his "mechanic's" do it.

Runs like a new one!!!
Nice work!

My bet is this engine had the cylinder head replaced under warranty since it is an early 3.6, and the person doing the work didn't torque the cam cap bolts correctly.

Loaded up for a weekend run to the in laws to patch their driveway with about 4-6 yards of crushed concrete, vibrate it down and return their riding mower. Returning Sunday with my riding mower.

1711674076999.jpg

Lasko fans are US assembled, They are a major employer in my neighborhood along with BNSF.

Back