What are you working on today?

2008 Mountaineer: new struts all around. Front: Mando quick struts
20240322_232112.jpg

Rear: Motorcraft quick struts
20240322_183752.jpg

Meh, he went and bought the cheapest he could find and wanted it modified.

As it was he balked at my price for the mods, no way he'd pay or believe me if I said "I need to entirely rebuild your new trailer."

His old trailer was a rolling disaster and he finally only retired it because he said it catastrophically failed -- something about the axle broke or something (I try not to know). Maybe this is a tiny step up......hope springs eternal.

Just remember folks-‐ you get what you pay for, especially in the world of trailers.
That was one of my Aunt Lindas favorite sayings, "just remember kid, you get what you pay for." Sorry but that trailer manufacturer should be flagged for safety issues/OSHA. The product they are shipping is going to end up hurting or killing someone or someones one day. All to flip a buck. :(

That was one of my Aunt Lindas favorite sayings, "just remember kid, you get what you pay for." Sorry but that trailer manufacturer should be flagged for safety issues/OSHA. The product they are shipping is going to end up hurting or killing someone or someones one day. All to flip a buck. :(
But dude, it was inspected! By E.V. ...... who I assume is blind??
20240322_101608.jpg

Neighbor brought over his son's truck for some service work. Oil change, fluids checked, brake inspection, tire rotation, air filter, and did a suck and fill on the rear differential.

Reactions: D60
Sorted and worked calves this morning and then went and picked up this Ray-Man Floater Loader. This will be used to load my lime truck either straight out of a dump truck or with our skidsteer from a stockpile. It was cheaper than buying an articulated loader with enough reach to easily load the spreader. It’s powered by a Deutz oil cooled Diesel engine.

This evening I burnt a section of our 100 acre hay bottom off and burned a brush pile where we cleaned some fence up.
F557107A-BC25-4FEB-91BF-230940D40984.jpeg

7D40819F-DFED-44F3-8028-983F184FFEB4.jpeg

2 more ISL Cummins. This first one had a laundry list of repairs on this truck. The rear main seal was leaking, as well as the oil on gasket and air compressor gasket. This truck also got a new set of king pins, and a full PM service with fluids/filters. Also descaled the chassis front to back with needle scalers (desperately needed) and treated the rust areas. There were a handful of other repairs on this truck. There are still some more parts on order so this truck not ready to go yet (engine oil dipstick tube, fan clutch, and some lights). Needless to say I’ve had a very busy couple of days.

IMG_0318.jpeg

IMG_0319.jpeg

IMG_0320.jpeg

IMG_0322.jpeg

IMG_0323.jpeg

IMG_0324.jpeg

IMG_0330.jpeg

IMG_0335.jpeg

Last edited:
2008 Mountaineer:

Addressed the notorious shifter/key stuck in ignition issue. Made a new shaft out of stainless, works well
20240323_175214.jpg

Had to extract the bottom piece of broken plastic (top left of pic above). Decided to try my Milwaukee Air Tip attachments, and this worked perfectly!
20240323_162230.jpg

Spark plugs on the Firebird. Got the driver's side done, planning to tackle the passenger side tomorrow. Since I had to break out the borescope/inspection camera anyways to be able to see what I was doing under the exhaust manifold, I decided to take a look inside one of the cylinders since I had the plugs out anyways.

Image1.jpg

158,000 miles on the chassis but supposedly has a rebuilt engine of unknown age/miles. Seems to be in decent shape!

Cleaning up. New staff took out the glass on the bi-directional a week ago. Three days later the skid steer met the same fate.

This week I will have a glass shop come out and measure up new glass as I do not have time to locate some from a wrecking yard for a 39 year old tractor. A new door is on the way for the skid steer.

20240324_140340.jpg

20240324_140330.jpg

Oldest daughters 2015 Chevy Cruze, Needed a Valve Cover (PCV) & a Canister Purge Solenoid (Wouldn't seal).
Bought a Dorman valve cover as it's all I could get short notice on a Sunday.....Usual Dorman crap quality, My socket (Snap-on E-Torx) didn't fit the bolt heads well & the dipstick didn't fit very well either.
Duralast purge solenoid was USA made & fit well.

Changed oil in the ‘15 CRV. Put about 9500 on this, M1 5-20. It came out pretty thick and nasty. New oil drove with a bit more “direct feel” but otherwise sounded and behaved the same. I let it run long intentionally, lots of highway and long-duration miles on this one.

Re-enabled auto-start stop in the f150 so I could get BMS back, and did the “paper clip trick” at the a/ss button instead. Call me crazy, but the truck “glided” better with BMS enabled, and I want to see if I get that extra .6-.7 mpg back. It’s got a solar panel on the camper shell so the battery wont hurt for charging. This is simply experimenting at this point.

I think I’ve officially given up on getting the element3 pad squeal off the CRV. May try the akebono pads on this one, perhaps the more aggressive line. Hearing the element3’s are under different manufacture may be the end of them for us.

Mowed weeds, ran the weed trimmer, trimmed bushes a good bit. 40V ryobi is holding its own.

Wife's 2008 F150: two days ago after filling with gas, climbed in and the driver's window went crashing to bottom of door.

Apparently very common on '04-08 F150s. I broke my own never-Dorman rule and got a Dorman regulator from O'Reilly because I could get it quickly and I guess I'm willing to use the LT warranty

A previous hack had damaged two speaker screw holes and tried to substitute sheet metal screws which were doing exactly NOTHING to anchor the speaker. I installed 8-32 nutserts and labeled them as such (for my sanity, or the next guy)
20240324_183635.jpg

2021 Honda CR-V
Replaced front brake rotors and pads

2009 Ford Edge 3.5 V6
Replaced spark plugs, ignition coils, upper plenum gaskets, air filter, battery, oil change

2009 Ford F-150 salvage
Pulled headlights, front fender moldings and bumper filler panel for a wreck my boss is fixing

2010 Chrysler Sebring 2.4 4 cylinder
Replaced water pump

Reactions: D60
Back