What are everyone's opinions on Everstart Maxx?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Sure just don't overcharge it or charge it when it's freezing outside. So the battery doesn't explode. A Pro-Logix smart charger would be an excellent option. Preferred by the boys on here.

Although that probably won't let it last more than 3 years since it must be like Hel.l down there with the heat. So maybe forget the charger because of your location.

Yeah, I have the Deltran JR charger for the bike and I'm pretty sure they shut off when they're fully charged, ("smart charger")

Its hard to say given the difference in region, supplier and battery size. The ones I have bought in the NE made by JC have been the biggest pieces of garbage I ever bought, even worse than AA gold.
6 batteries 4 fails all with 6 mo it doesn't get much worse than that, sure they replace them but the new ones failed as well in a short time.
Charging systems all good no over/under charging, good clean connections, etc.

I replaced them with DiHard golds by Deka and had no complaints. You have to watch out for the DiHards also many applications list 2 golds one is JC garbage and the other with no vents is the Deka.

I put one in my Jeep GC in Dec 2010. At that time it was made by JC and said so in the small print on the label. It lasted 4 years and I only changed it because it was testing a little weak but it was still starting fine.

But sometime after Dec 2010, the label changed and no longer states "JC". I think it says "WalMart Distribution" or something similar and I can't find any other info on who makes it now. Might still be JC or it might not be.

We have an Everstart Maxx 124R in the Santa Fe going on three years now, and don't have a single complaint regardless of the Miami + turbo heat.

Mine has the same sticker as this, so it's pretty obvious who made mine lol

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
The group 35 Everstart Maxx I bought for my wife's car about a year ago was a Deka. I had no issues with it in that year but that's not saying much. I would buy another for sure, simply for price, warranty and Wally World convenience.[/i]

I think that you are mistaken.
As far as I know, ALL conventional flooded cell batteries sold at Walmart (and Sears) are manufactured by JC, and have been for quite some time. The only other supplier I am aware of that Walmart (and Sears) used for batteries were manufactured by Exide (for a short period quite a few years ago). BTW, JC also manufactures some batteries that are sealed (no removable vent caps), AC Delco is one brand, so one can't assume that just because a battery is sealed that it is an East Penn.
The MAXX is about the same quality as any other higher-end JC battery, about the same quality as the DieHards and green/white Interstates.
Deka is a trade name for batteries manufactured by East Penn. IMO they manufacture a better quality battery, and they are ALL manufactured in the USA. JC manufactures a large percentage of their batteries in Mexico (so does Exide), including most of the batteries sold at WalMart. If the battery says Mexico anywhere on it, it is either a JC or an Exide.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wag123
Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
The group 35 Everstart Maxx I bought for my wife's car about a year ago was a Deka. I had no issues with it in that year but that's not saying much. I would buy another for sure, simply for price, warranty and Wally World convenience.[/i]

I think that you are mistaken.
As far as I know, ALL conventional flooded cell batteries sold at Walmart (and Sears) are manufactured by JC, and have been for quite some time. The only other supplier I am aware of that Walmart (and Sears) used for batteries were manufactured by Exide (for a short period quite a few years ago). BTW, JC also manufactures some batteries that are sealed (no removable vent caps), AC Delco is one brand, so one can't assume that just because a battery is sealed that it is an East Penn.
The MAXX is about the same quality as any other higher-end JC battery, about the same quality as the DieHards and green/white Interstates.
Deka is a trade name for batteries manufactured by East Penn. IMO they manufacture a better quality battery, and they are ALL manufactured in the USA. JC manufactures a large percentage of their batteries in Mexico (so does Exide), including most of the batteries sold at WalMart. If the battery says Mexico anywhere on it, it is either a JC or an Exide.

My local Sears (which just closed) switched from JC to Deka 8-9 years ago. My experience matches Trav’s exactly. Every JC battery I ever bought leaked at the terminals causing corrosion. Switched to Deka’s 10-12 years ago and everyone has been perfect, even for my garden tractor.

Originally Posted By: artbuc
My local Sears (which just closed) switched from JC to Deka 8-9 years ago. My experience matches Trav’s exactly. Every JC battery I ever bought leaked at the terminals causing corrosion. Switched to Deka’s 10-12 years ago and everyone has been perfect, even for my garden tractor.

According to information I found on the web, only the DieHard Advanced Gold AGM battery is manufactured in the USA by East Penn, and this battery's reputation is not good. The DieHard Platinum spiral cell AGM is manufactured in the USA by EnerSys and is an outstanding (but expensive) battery, maybe the best battery on the market. All of the DieHard conventional flooded cell batteries sold in the USA since 1998 have been manufactured by JC. I have not found any information on the web that contradicts this statement. I did find information that leads me to believe DieHard conventional flooded cell batteries sold in Canada ARE manufactured by East Penn.
Regardless, IMO Sears is not going to be around much longer, so if you buy a DieHard from them you should consider it as having NO warranty.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Sure just don't overcharge it or charge it when it's freezing outside. So the battery doesn't explode. A Pro-Logix smart charger would be an excellent option. Preferred by the boys on here.

I've never heard that it was bad to charge batteries when temperatures are below freezing. If idle equipment batteries are not kept charged up, they can freeze solid and crack the case.

I will do a Google search.

When a battery is completely run down, the electrolyte has less acid and is more like water. Thus very cold conditions can freeze it, while a charged battery would not freeze. Freezing up can ruin a battery, also trying to charge a frozen battery can make it explode. This situation has to be considered before trying to charge a dead battery in very cold weather.

If it is already mostly or fully charged, there is nothing wrong with charging while cold.

Put one in the Sienna this past summer, the OEM one lasted about 7 years. We have been going thru a deep freeze the past few weeks in the northeast and it has started without a hiccup even after sitting for 4 or 5 days without starting. So far so good. The Accord has a Advanced auto battery (i think it's the Gold line) and it takes a few seconds longer to start, albeit it's a much older battery.

According to information I found on the web, only the DieHard Advanced Gold AGM battery is manufactured in the USA by East Penn, and this battery's reputation is not good. The DieHard Platinum spiral cell AGM is manufactured in the USA by EnerSys and is an outstanding (but expensive) battery, maybe the best battery on the market. All of the DieHard conventional flooded cell batteries sold in the USA since 1998 have been manufactured by JC. I have not found any information on the web that contradicts this statement. I did find information that leads me to believe DieHard conventional flooded cell batteries sold in Canada ARE manufactured by East Penn.
Regardless, IMO Sears is not going to be around much longer, so if you buy a DieHard from them you should consider it as having NO warranty.

Your internet info is wrong. Call East Penn. The last Diehard I bought was 2011 and it is a rebranded Deka. Sears was still selling rebranded Dekas when I bought my last battery in 2015. I bought the equivalent Deka because it was $20 cheaper than the Diehard. I spoke with East Penn at the time of both purchases to confirm the Diehards were rebranded Dekas - 724FMF’s. At the time East Penn was making all Diehards except for the AGM’s.

Last edited:
Actually it is you that are mistaken. East Penn does in fact supply some Walmart stores. Including the one nearest me. The same exact case set up like the East Penn in my lady's Camry.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bbhero
Actually it is you that are mistaken. East Penn does in fact supply some Walmart stores. Including the one nearest me. The same exact case set up like the East Penn in my lady's Camry.

Yes, I know East Penn supplies Walmart. I was referring to your statement that East Penn does not supply Sears. They do supply Sears, at least in my region.

Sadly I don't think they sell those anymore. I had one in another vehicle and it was a good battery that lasted awhile. EnerSys to my knowledge fabricates the Odyssey line of batteries.

My local sears closed their auyo center early 2017 and was just announced that they are closing the store this year.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lubener
Good battery. I have three of various ages up to 5-6 years and still going.

Last edited:
Hey there man.. I was not involved with the Sears part of the discussion... That was someone else. Just to let you know what the deal is. Not trying to give you a hard time here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back