East Penn Duracell battery failure in one year

Car wouldn't start the other day. No dome lights, dash lights, nothing. It had started just fine a few hours earlier. Roadside assistance came and it started with a jump. Guy connected his tester and it said the battery was bad. This was a Sam's Club Duracell 24F I installed in Dec 2022 (mfg sticker date was Nov 2022).

Hauled the battery to Sam's Club and it also tested bad on their machine. They provided a new Duracell under the free replacement warranty.

This was my first time experiencing premature battery failure like this. I guess stuff happens, even with a reputable mfg such as East Penn.

So bad news, good news story. Bad news, it failed. Good news, Sam's made it right.

I've got a Duracell Grp 51R I installed on a 2.4L Accord, replacing the OE Honda. I too have read much good about EP batteries on this forum, why I chose it over similarly priced JCI/Clarios Everstart Maxx. Just for fun, I should put it on my new Ancel battery tester on it and get a reading. The Duracell does see NoCo 2amp charger/maintainer occasionally.

I had a group 59 that was leaking horribly after a little over a year, it tested good barely after charging for a while, and guy kept telling me it tested good, i told him yeah and rattled off the readings from my tester.

He seemed surprised when i finally said "none of that ___ matters its leaking and BTW who's being me new cables."

East Penn is junk like all the others and i wont buy another sams battery.

Last edited:
I have a slight suspicion that Deka might have had a bad batch or two the last couple of years. I have one from napa in my mower that is perpetually almost to drained to get the mower started and van that likes to be dead a lot. The van doesn't get driven much and the mower is 50/50 on whether or not it charges well so I can't what the definite issue is.

Mclasser, our 2001 Impala had a oil pressure switch located right above the starter and that switch was leaking oil into the starter because it would drip just right for the oil to get into the starter. That degraded the components of the starter to the point where it ruined the battery a couple of times before the problem was found. Sometimes it's the vehicle that causes a premature battery failure.

It would be helpful if you would post what type of vehicle and even more details such as what engine and what year, because if there was a common electrical problem with your vehicle then others here on this forum may know of it and let you know of something to check.

I only use the Duracell from Batteries and Bulbs these days. 6 years in, no issues. First one replaced after 4, still worked fine. Second one leaked just barely around the terminals, still worked fine. Replaced no question. I'll stick with them for now.

Caterpillar (Cat) batteries are very high quality. But their prices are outrageous.
I looked up the price for a group 78 Cat battery. And the price is very reasonable compared to most auto parts stores. The Cat battery is $166.95. Thanks for the heads up on Cat batteries

Back