Walmart EVERSTART MAXX Group 75 battery with 9/23 sticker on it. Good or Avoid?

So my local GM Chevy dealer had one of the AC Delco GP75 Professional Gold in stock ($159 with 42 mo warranty). But when checked it was a bit low on voltage and would only put out 500 CCA (rated at 700). So they had that returned to the supplier and was determined to have a dead cell. 2 more just came in to replace that one. They each read 12.6v and "only" 600 CCA. Would that be normal for
batteries that might have sat a bit? Will that CCA come back up to 700...or is that more a theoretical number with a margin of error?
If they both came from the same source/batch as the defective one, maybe not a good thing.

I was in Walmart yesterday and brought a voltmeter with me. The 2 EVERSTART MAXX batteries with 36 mo. warranty ($110) with the 9/23 date codes both read 12.56 v which seems reasonable.

Last edited:
Home Depot beats Walmart's regular pricing and offers a 3 year warrenty. The carry limited selection of auto supplies such as batteries (by exit). I have purchased 3 of their batteries now and have had no issue. They also stock popular but limited selection of oil, filters, coolant, additives, etc. If they have what you want they are the low price leader in my area.

Check the dates though. Last time I walked by Home Depot Exides they were all super dusty with ancient date codes. I don’t think a single one in any group size was newer than 6 months old and most were WAY older.

Where I work (an auto parts store) there is a strict procedure. After 6 months we have to use a special slow charger then test the battery. If it tests good it gets a new date code sticker in green. If it’s still sitting around another 6 months it gets a red sticker. After 6 months with a red sticker we send it back as a warranty. We’re supposed to put it into a discounted “RBT program” (reconditioned batteries) along with customer satisfaction based new returns that were installed but tested good but I’ve been with the company for 8 years across 4 stores and we never do that… just warranty them out and send them back for recycling or whatever it is they do with them. Rambling aside, my point here is old batteries are a liability and I would not buy one that’s been sitting on the shelf for more than 6 months.

Back