Wet Dual Clutch Transmission, long-term reliability (particularly Hyundai - Kia)

The Germans know how to make a DCT. I always enjoyed driving a VW or an Audi with one and they seemed to hold up well too.
I’d recommend not being the beta tester for that Hyundai trans. It could turn out stellar but the track record with Theta and PU engines has me skeptical.
Exactly, it's Hyundai/Kia so all bets are off. This could be fine or it could be a future class action in the making.

I don't have the most confidence in long term durability but I can say that my sister in law's 2023 Sorento with the DCT did shift very well. I've been the designated driver in that vehicle a couple of times now and the shifts are super fast and seamless. It has something like 10k miles on it. The entire driving experience was good once I turned off the lane assist. Really nice steering.

What kind? Becuae I had it, I know people who had it, so interested to know what issues precisely, except not maintaining it and then developing issues.
I think you can Google Fu "VW DCT issues" and find many complaints, including recalls. I can say the same as far as "Had it/Have it" is concerned.

I think you can Google Fu "VW DCT issues" and find many complaints, including recalls. I can say the same as far as "Had it/Have it" is concerned.
VW uses DSG for 25yrs, long before most companies, definitely before appliance brands. So, yeah, there will be complaints.
Still, I would trust R32 with DSG from 2001 before brand new Hyundai with DCT.

VW uses DSG for 25yrs, long before most companies, definitely before appliance brands. So, yeah, there will be complaints.
Still, I would trust R32 with DSG from 2001 before brand new Hyundai with DCT.
Hyundai Motor adopted DCT for the first time in Korea in 2011. While they've had issues, just like VW and others, they're pretty much on par with others, as well. What you trust, is, of course, your prerogative.

The main problems VAG had with DSGs was early on development phase and consumer complaints. Mostly that the trans wasn't smooth shifting like the slushboxes they were used to and had some driving quicks that needed to get used to. Nothing wrong with the transmissions, per se, just they were different experience to drive smoothly. The one black eye VAG received though was the bad batch of Mechatronic units that prompted a large recall in the 2005-2008 range IIRC. Once all of those got sorted out, DSG was a solid transmission and still is today. Most units that are used in their racing programs do so with little to no modification to the overall mechanical part of them, just corresponding TCU programming differences. Thats how good they really are nowadays except if you don't maintain them. But then, you don't blame the transmission. H/K? Seem to be ok, but time will tell. If I was in the market for one, I'd pick a DCT.

Last edited:
The main problems VAG had with DSGs was early on development phase and consumer complaints. Mostly that the trans wasn't smooth shifting like the slushboxes they were used to and had some driving quicks that needed to get used to. Nothing wrong with the transmissions, per se, just they were different experience to drive smoothly. The one black eye VAG received though was the bad batch of Mechatronic units that prompted a large recall in the 2005-2008 range IIRC. Once all of those got sorted out, DSG was a solid transmission and still is today. Most units that are used in their racing programs do so with little to no modification to the overall mechanical part of them, just corresponding TCU programming differences. Thats how good they really are nowadays except if you don't maintain them. But then, you don't blame the transmission. H/K? Seem to be ok, but time will tell. If I was in the market for one, I'd pick a DCT.
In a large SUV, no. Porsche, yes, Hyundai? No.

The Getrag DCT in the 2012-2019 Focus and similar years of the Fiesta were a disaster that Ford stubbornly refused to fix (by putting a 6 speed A/T in them). The Focus was a very good car hampered by this garbage DCT. I own a 2014 Focus and purposely bought the 5 speed M/T because I knew the DCT sucked. Mine has been a great car. Ford hurt their reputation badly by sticking with this POS A/T. The VW DSG A/T, on the other hand, has been very reliable. Whether H/K's ends up like Fords or VWs is a roll of the dice.

The Focus DCT was a dry clutch, so a very different animal.

Just curious as to why no in the Hyundai? Elantra N has been on my short list for a while and would take the 8-speed.
DCT and large vehicles don’t go together. They do if it is PDK made by ZF. But PDK is more expensive than whole Santa Fe.
If they wanted fast shifting, they could go ZF, but, price.

There definitely is a learning curve when going from a TC transmission to a DCT. Some people may interpret the quirks of the DCT as issues when they are not. The first time I drove a CVT I thought the transmission was toast. I immediately returned it to the rental counter and told them my suspicions and they laughed. I drove that piece of crud for a couple days and was not impressed. I have had a chance to drive a few more over the years, and while better, still a steaming pile compared to non CVT's.

Hyundai Motor adopted DCT for the first time in Korea in 2011. While they've had issues, just like VW and others, they're pretty much on par with others, as well. What you trust, is, of course, your prerogative.
Hyundai/Kia is a low end/cheaper manufacturer that I don't trust while VAG is an expensive/higher end manufacturer that I don't trust.

I know a lot of people that work in automotive still (from my time working on automotive for about 10 years) and almost none of them would ever recommend anyone they like to buy any VW/Audi product. Edyvw is one of 2 people I know that like them.

Hyundai/Kia is a low end/cheaper manufacturer that I don't trust while VAG is an expensive/higher end manufacturer that I don't trust.

I know a lot of people that work in automotive still (from my time working on automotive for about 10 years) and almost none of them would ever recommend anyone they like to buy any VW/Audi product. Edyvw is one of 2 people I know that like them.
I like them. I work on my own vehicles and do my own maintenance. Modern VW's are every bit as good and reliable as most brands if you keep up with maintenance. Fit and finish and driving dynamics surpass most anything else in its comparable price range. It is more of a hands on type of vehicle than other makes and some of the systems and repairs are more complicated than your usual suspects. Lazy, non-skilled people should by all means stick to Honda's and Toyota's.

Ok, but how many of them you owned, not your so ‘s girlfriends sister boyfriend.

Ok, but how many of them you owned, not your so ‘s girlfriends sister boyfriend.
I'm speaking purely from experience as a service advisor seeing many customers over the years. Not at all from personal/family experience like most people. Going just by what you've owned is not a great sample size.

I'm speaking purely from experience as a service advisor seeing many customers over the years. Not at all from personal/family experience like most people. Going just by what you've owned is not a great sample size.
Hmmm, I bet Toyota advisors so a lot of broken Toyota’s.
But I will play this game. Can you enlighten us gullible here? Be good forum member.

I like them. I work on my own vehicles and do my own maintenance. Modern VW's are every bit as good and reliable as most brands if you keep up with maintenance. Fit and finish and driving dynamics surpass most anything else in its comparable price range. It is more of a hands on type of vehicle than other makes and some of the systems and repairs are more complicated than your usual suspects. Lazy, non-skilled people should by all means stick to Honda's and Toyota's.
Unless they've gotten a lot more reliable and low maintenance in the last ten plus years, I will continue to stay away from them. They are for the wealthy IMO.
I do some of my own repairs on my vehicles but I don't always have the tools needed for a regular old Silverado, much less the specialized tools required for a VW/Audi. What background do you have that you got to have the tools and skills to work on one?

Unless they've gotten a lot more reliable and low maintenance in the last ten plus years, I will continue to stay away from them. They are for the wealthy IMO.
I do some of my own repairs on my vehicles but I don't always have the tools needed for a regular old Silverado, much less the specialized tools required for a VW/Audi. What background do you have that you got to have the tools and skills to work on one?
Hmmm, what kind of specialized tools VW requires? Does that mean that if one works on VW thinks that GM needs specialized tools?
And to think VW is unreliable but here is “regular old Silverado” as benchmark 😂

Hmmm, I bet Toyota advisors so a lot of broken Toyota’s.
But I will play this game. Can you enlighten us gullible here? Be good forum member.
I'm trying to decipher your broken English as to what you're asking....if you're asking where I worked as a service advisor....Ford and then GM back in 2004-2006, then took a break from automotive for a few years and then I worked at an independent Goodyear shop for a number of years where we worked on all makes and models, before I graduated from a surveying course and went into land surveying because service advisor jobs don't pay very well.

I'm trying to decipher your broken English as to what you're asking....if you're asking where I worked as a service advisor....Ford and then GM back in 2004-2006, then took a break from automotive for a few years and then I worked at an independent Goodyear shop for a number of years where we worked on all makes and models, before I graduated from a surveying course and went into land surveying because service advisor jobs don't pay very well.
Ok, let me clarify that for you Native settler here: tell us, fools, who drive VW’s, what should we look for? What exact issues VW have, so I can look for, after owning 30+ of them, between personal vehicles, and ones as part of my business. I am all eyes and maybe ears.

Back