Wen 56380i inverter generator oil change, 108 hrs on OCI, 689 hrs on unit

I shared in the small engine oil change forum that I changed the oil in my Wen 56380i inverter generator. I usually go ~100 hours on an oil change. This UOA says I could go much further given the TBN that was left. Other than the drop in viscosity I don't see much wrong with this sample. The recommended oil is 5w30, the oil used was F&F HDEO 5w40 synthetic.

Just my $0.02

Wen UOA.jpg

I have a brand new Wen 2200 watt R80 powered generator ready for breakin. Any thoughts/suggestions on breakin oil and then long term oil? I have what I have done on my other generator but I dont want to bias the suggestions.

I have a brand new Wen 2200 watt R80 powered generator ready for breakin. Any thoughts/suggestions on breakin oil and then long term oil? I have what I have done on my other generator but I dont want to bias the suggestions.
I just ran mine for an hour with the oil they shipped it with, which was Wen branded 10W30, then swapped over to using my mixed bag 5W30, which is a combination of Havoline HM and Lifelong 5W30 (Leftovers from the 6qt boxes). Did a change at 21 hours, and will do another as I get nearer to 50. Usually takes a few to get the sparkles out. I'll keep on using the mix I have on hand long term.

Thanks for posting, interesting for my Rato engine powered Chonda generators like yours.

Added - Why the HDEO?
Fair question. My logic is simple. The generator calls for 5w30. I use 5w40 because if it shears it will still be at least a 30 weight oil. Also I think the additive pack in HDEO is more robust and will not hurt OPE. I use HDEO in all my OPE.

Just my $0.02

My son got a Wen 2350 for Christmas. I helped him break it in on the F&F HDEO 5w40. His doesn’t have an hour meter so we ran it for a while and changed the oil. He took it RC racing one day and we changed it again. I think now he can do annual changes especially given my UOA.

I run a magnetic dipstick in anything without a filter.

Just my $0.02

I bought a Generac Inverter generator and the dealer told me to use straight 30 weight .

Fair question. My logic is simple. The generator calls for 5w30. I use 5w40 because if it shears it will still be at least a 30 weight oil. Also I think the additive pack in HDEO is more robust and will not hurt OPE. I use HDEO in all my OPE.

Just my $0.02
Keep using the 40 then b/c this is what happened. It sheared to a 30 visc so If you're wanting to stay in a reasonable 40-30 range this 100 hour run appears to be the time to change.

Keep using the 40 then b/c this is what happened. It sheared to a 30 visc so If you're wanting to stay in a reasonable 40-30 range this 100 hour run appears to be the time to change.

Yeah I did the UOA just to see if I should shorten the 100 hrs. It often runs in hot weather and for long runs (3 or 4 days at a time) powering my RV. I plan to stick to my ~100 hrs and hopefully this bad boy lasts many years.

Just my $0.02

Yeah I did the UOA just to see if I should shorten the 100 hrs. It often runs in hot weather and for long runs (3 or 4 days at a time) powering my RV. I plan to stick to my ~100 hrs and hopefully this bad boy lasts many years.

Just my $0.02
How much more shearing will happen if you run it over this 108 we don't know w/o more testing but According to the link below a 30 Visc at 100c averages 10.895. A 40 averages 14.395. At your 10.70 it's right at that 30 visc average. However, since this gen might be spec. for 10-30 you could run the visc. all the way down to around 9.30. That would put you at the end of the road of a 30 for sure. You could run this for a bit longer IMO & still have the protection of the 40 weight in the beginning of the run at least. That's better than starting out w/a 30. If you want more of that 30-40 visc "cushion" this 10.70 is about perfect time for change. 110 hours seems like a good round number but if your generators are anything like mine there is really no "Perfect" number that it lands on with the convenient time to change it. So, 100-125 range gives you some time to plan for a change. This is a long winded version of what is on my mind. As always keep the rubber down & enjoy the outdoors while weather permits in your RV. Thanks!!

Wonder if a 15/40 would shear like that. Looks like you could go a lot longer on the present oil though, but if the shear bothered me I might try 15/40 or even M1 15/50. I usually run either rotella 15/40 or M1 15/50 in my "portable" gens, of which I have 2 Yamahas and 2 Hondas but I've never done a UOA on any of them, but they all have several hundred hours on them without issue.

Wonder if a 15/40 would shear like that. Looks like you could go a lot longer on the present oil though, but if the shear bothered me I might try 15/40 or even M1 15/50. I usually run either rotella 15/40 or M1 15/50 in my "portable" gens, of which I have 2 Yamahas and 2 Hondas but I've never done a UOA on any of them, but they all have several hundred hours on them without issue.

That is a valid question and I have debated doing just that. I have also considered 10w40 HDEO as well. My concern is the starting of my other OPE with 15w40 in them. For the winter I have a snow blower on my JD LT150, so the 15w40 might be a bit much... The win with 15w40 would be 1 oil for all my OPE and my Ram! I might just have to try it after my current run of 5w40 is gone.

FWIW, a few years back I switched my Ram from 5w40 to 15w40 due to shearing issues. I have continued to have good success with 15w40 even in the Iowa winters. My truck is garage kept so seldom sees daily temps below 5F, and if it does I drive the wife's T&C because she sure ain't leaving home in those temps... :ROFLMAO:

Just my $0.02

How much more shearing will happen if you run it over this 108 we don't know w/o more testing but According to the link below a 30 Visc at 100c averages 10.895. A 40 averages 14.395. At your 10.70 it's right at that 30 visc average. However, since this gen might be spec. for 10-30 you could run the visc. all the way down to around 9.30. That would put you at the end of the road of a 30 for sure. You could run this for a bit longer IMO & still have the protection of the 40 weight in the beginning of the run at least. That's better than starting out w/a 30. If you want more of that 30-40 visc "cushion" this 10.70 is about perfect time for change. 110 hours seems like a good round number but if your generators are anything like mine there is really no "Perfect" number that it lands on with the convenient time to change it. So, 100-125 range gives you some time to plan for a change. This is a long winded version of what is on my mind. As always keep the rubber down & enjoy the outdoors while weather permits in your RV. Thanks!!

all good insight @fantastic. My real quest with this UOA was to see if the HDEO could withstand ~100hrs. I think the answer is yes. FWIW the recommended OCI for this unit from Wen is 25hrs. I wanted to make sure I wasn't doing undo harm by going so long. I suspect I wasn't but $45 is a minor expense on a $800 generator.

That said, I do wonder about the early days in this generators life running Mobil Super Synthetic 5w30... :unsure:. I was pretty thin when drained. I feel much better with the HDEO solution.

Just my $0.02

all good insight @fantastic. My real quest with this UOA was to see if the HDEO could withstand ~100hrs. I think the answer is yes. FWIW the recommended OCI for this unit from Wen is 25hrs. I wanted to make sure I wasn't doing undo harm by going so long. I suspect I wasn't but $45 is a minor expense on a $800 generator.

That said, I do wonder about the early days in this generators life running Mobil Super Synthetic 5w30... :unsure:. I was pretty thin when drained. I feel much better with the HDEO solution.

Just my $0.02
Right! This 40 gets you x4 the recommended ODI w/o looking like water when drained.

My old 1994 2500 LPG Cummins Onan recommends 150 hours on Single-30 as priority & Multi-15w-40 as a secondary viscosity. (Currently running Mobil 10w-30 but plan to switch over to 5w-40 Rotella T6 I have leftover). This gen is rated 3600 RPM.

My 2019 Harbor Freight 3500 Gasoline Generator recommends 100 Hours on 10w-30. (Although I've ran 10w-30 since new this last fill was leftover 5w-30 Oreilly's Auto Full synthetic but same plan to switch over to 5w-40 or 15w-40). This Gen is rated 2600-3100 RPM.

Not typical so far but the farthest I've gone was 170 hours on the HF Gen on 10w-30 Quaker State "Ultimate Durability" (Untested). Neither of these have an Oil Filter as I'm sure yours doesn't as well.

Onan
fkdi.jpg
fjdal;.jpg

Harbor Freight below
fjdanipf.jpg

vnfsif.jpg

Back