Welp, Today’s the day! Adoption becomes official!

Mentioned last year when my wife and I got guardianship of a girl who had been “discarded” by her dad about 6 years ago. Today we go make the adoption official!

Guardianship was awarded fast; we were going to adopt after she turned 18 tomorrow, but when I found out that she would be ineligible for VA education benefits, I talked with the judge and got him to move it up. She’s been in his courtroom long enough that he knows she’s had it rough, so he cut me some slack by moving it up.

She’s going to Grace College, so the benefits provided to private school attendees are much reduced compared to what they provide to public school students. It blows my MIND that I got a four year engineering degree from Purdue for less than the cost of a SINGLE YEAR at an in-state private school! Even with a scholarship, Pell grants from foster time, VA benefits, and all… with on-campus housing and a meal plan, it’s over $40k/year! She wants to be a social worker, but unless her heart is touched by the grace of God, I’m not sure she’s ready for that level of humanity, if you former foster kids know what I mean.

Anyways… the past year has been quite a ride. She’s the only girl my wife or I have had to deal with as our own… granddaughters are much simpler than girls! Now I know why dads take extreme measures once they become teens with minds of their own… 🤣

Anyways, I’d include a general apology to anyone who I’ve offended in the past year. Nothing personal… just been a new set of challenges I’ve had to deal with. I apologize for the things I said when I was upset at the women in my life 😖

It’s gonna be fun, so they tell me…

Congratulations!!! We just adopted our three foster kids. I can attest to what the whole process does to your mental state, as stress peaks dealing with terrible parents.

I hope she has found the peace our three have now that the adoption is final. It was like a switch was flipped with our kids, as they now know they will never get pulled into a new world ever again.

You are a real hero.

Congratulations!!! We just adopted our three foster kids. I can attest to what the whole process does to your mental state, as stress peaks dealing with terrible parents.

I hope she has found the peace our three have now that the adoption is final. It was like a switch was flipped with our kids, as they now know they will never get pulled into a new world ever again.

You are a real hero.
Thanks for the kind words. I hope it’s like a switch… I told her the very first day there was no “not really family” because of blood…we’re blended everywhere, and the heart is what determines family, not just DNA. 🤞

This brings us to 4 kids (2 hers, both in early 30s now, mine from my ex at 15, and now Liz at 18) and 6 grandkids between 12 and 3 with similar mixing for both of older boys’ families.

That is simply awesome. You are making a difference in the life of another. There is no better, or more important, action anyone could take.
There have been days... LOL

Girls are a much tougher shell to crack than for boys. I give people who do fostering for the right reasons a lot more credit after my past year. Between parents who think they don't have responsibility for their kids, to kids damaged by the system... it's no wonder things are so fricking upside down in the world today.

@SubieRubyRoo
This is wonderful news and i get pretty emotional where kids are involved. You have opened up a universe of possibilities for her not to mention the joys of being a doting parent, for you. All the best to your family.

Last edited:
@SubieRubyRoo thank you, and your wife as well, for what you're doing. My mother was adopted, and I've always had a special place in my heart for those generous souls who are willing and able to do that because of her. Thank you both.

All done, guys! Judge was super nice, even said some nice things about us doing this early to open up some additional financial assistance for college for Liz.

Good showing for a Wednesday: my pastor, Liz’s youth pastor & his wife, both DILs, and two of the granddaughters showed up. Liz even made some steps towards patching her relationship with her estranged maternal grandmother. She was pretty emotional, and in a good way.

Amen, brother. When stuff you never thought you'd do becomes something you could never have lived without...
I’ve explained fostering as the hardest most terrible thing I’ve ever done, yet loved the most.

I used to have rose colored glasses on, but you see just how bad people are when you dig into that world. Not quite as bad as people a police officer, but just enough taste of it. It had me jaded for a while, but it made me grow and become more appreciative over the blessed life I’ve had.

There are a TON of kids suffering out there.

Back