Wal-Mart 1.00 Fram filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stopped into my local Wal-Mart today just checking over the prices on things and on the clearance rack was a big box of assorted orange Fram Filters without any packaging. They were all brand new but didn't have any pricing or barcodes or anything. They were also just thrown randomly in this big box. The box itself had a red clearance barcode marked 1.00. I was kind of curious so I talked to the shop manger, who struck me as actually being a pretty intelligent lady.

She said the price of their basic oil change went 18.00 to 25.00, so they had to cut costs by doing away with the Fram filters and are using Supertech for ALL oil changes here on out. Apparently a case of thirty Frams costs Wal-Mart about 12.00 but a case of Supertechs run about 7.00. I told here that based on what I know the Supertech is a better filter anyway but she says everybody's griping about paying for the Premium service and getting "budget" filters.

FWIW there was a little of everything in there. I saw some common ones like PF52 and 3387A and the one for 4.6 Fords (820?), and a bunch of PF43's. I snagged a couple of PF52's "just in case" I ever needed them.

What? I have never heard of such a thing. Must be limited to that store. As far as I know, they should still be using Fram "Pro" filters, which are bulk packs without individual packaging for the filters. The price Ive seen marked on them is $1.97 per.
Yes, the $19.88 and $23.88 "Economy" Lube, oil, and filter only packages are dropped as of Friday. The lowest package will be the $26.96 Full service. :/ Oh, and the Pro packs are cases of 12, except for Cummins and 7.3 Powerstroke filters which are cases of 6.

Quote:
What? I have never heard of such a thing. Must be limited to that store. As far as I know, they should still be using Fram "Pro" filters, which are bulk packs without individual packaging for the filters. The price Ive seen marked on them is $1.97 per.

I've seen those before, they sell here for 1.50. They come in a three-tiered box. I haven't seen any in a while though.

It may be limited to this Wal-Mart, IDK. There's price differences on the same exact products between the seven different Wal-Marts in my area. The basic oil change at my store is 24.99, at the WM six miles down the road it's 26.99. Go figure.

Another little anecdote about this particular WM- a woman my wife works with went in for an oil change last month and they forgot to refill her car with oil. She drives home and the engine blows (a 98 Honda). WM refused to do anything about it because you have to sign a waiver removing them from any negligence BEFORE they touch your car. So she gets ahold of a local attorney and the next day the WM district manager has her tow the car to a shop of her choice, as they are prepared to repair or replace her engine. (The stupid thing was instead of going to the dealer and getting a brand new motor she goes to a mom and pop garage that puts a junkyard motor on there with 150k miles on it!)

So long story short, a Wal-Mart rep meets her at the garage after the new motor is put on and pays for the repair and tow bill, and then makes her sign ANOTHER waiver absolving WM from any further trouble she may have to due to their negligence.

I don't know whether to laugh or not?

Yeah, that waiver is just supposed to absolve them of any wrong doing if the car comes in low on oil. Theres a good number of cars that the owners never check the oil and bring it in when the oil light comes on. If someone brings in a 1996 Dodge pickup with a 5.9L, rods knocking, the oil light on, and MAYBE a quart of oil in the crankcase, thats not our fault. I still wonder why people would do that. Throw in some supertech, at least, FFS.
Good for her for going after them for not putting in any oil. But, like you said, she could have gotten a new engine out of the deal..
Thats wierd about your store. Im wondering if its some sort of testing ground for going to Supertech filters in TLEs.

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
What? I have never heard of such a thing. Must be limited to that store.

I'm in the San Diego area, and I saw several orange Fram filters on an end cap, but didn't think much about it. Same thing - no box just the filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back