VW GTI 2.0T TSI Engine Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeff - Are you able to find any data to support those Mobil1 claims? Sounds a bit like the Mobil1 hysteria on the Subaru forums. But that is just the result of knuckleheads running the wrong viscosity for the application and/or not checking the oil levels IMO. "What do you mean I shouldn't use Resource Conserving Mobil1 5W-30 in my 400 whp STI ?" The only reason that I ran M1 0W-40 was just to show WRX owners that Mobil1 holds up well in a modfied turbo.

-Dennis

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
I have read so many up and downs on M1 with the TSI engine I am up in the air on what to use. M1 would be the easiest to obtain since the local Wal-Mart stocks it, but why all the hate/love for M1 on the VW forums?

Here on BITOG M1 0w40 is what seems to be used in the "Holy Grale". I know M1 is good stuff I have used it off and on for over 20 yrs, not the 0w40 but other weights. Is the whole PU cleans 25% better than M1 not apply to the 0w40?? Cause if it was a lie you would think Penzoil would be getting sued by now.

Thoughts??

Jeff

Post warranty period the Germans with a big right boot tend to use Liqui Moly or Castrol 5/40's not Mobil 0/40 (5/30's in newer engines). Some do cheap out and use 10/40 Mobil, but LM Synthoil High Tech 5/40 has a good following and has the best balance of anti wear and detergents for a long OCI. One good cross check is to use an oil that has both VW and Porsche or MB recommendations from a major brand oil finder web site page. (By major brand I mean Castrol, Mobil, Shell or liqui Moly and they all have good oil finder pages)

Last edited:
I am not sure about the STI and Subaru post from above? I have never owned a Subaru. Almost bought an STI but went back to another Evo back in the day.

Liquid Moly I have heard great things about, but problem is just getting it. I would really like to use an oil that I can just go to the store and buy. If I was going to order an oil I would go with Redline because I have had such great luck with it in my Evo's.

In the VW though as long as I get something with one of the VW approvals on it I should be good right? Over the counter here I can buy GC 0w30, M1 0w40, and Valvoline 5w40. Thats all I have seen actually on the shelf at the local autoparts store.

I think I am leaning towards the M1. Its available everywhere [censored] near is reasonablly priced and does carry the VW 505 and 502 approvals.

Any objections? Tell me now or forever hold your peace haha.

Jeff

I am not sure about the STI and Subaru post from above? I have never owned a Subaru. Almost bought an STI but went back to another Evo back in the day.

Liquid Moly I have heard great things about, but problem is just getting it. I would really like to use an oil that I can just go to the store and buy. If I was going to order an oil I would go with Redline because I have had such great luck with it in my Evo's.

In the VW though as long as I get something with one of the VW approvals on it I should be good right? Over the counter here I can buy GC 0w30, M1 0w40, and Valvoline 5w40. Thats all I have seen actually on the shelf at the local autoparts store.

I think I am leaning towards the M1. Its available everywhere [censored] near is reasonablly priced and does carry the VW 505 and 502 approvals.

Jeff

As I said before, personally was unimpressed with M1 cold start.
Went back to GC and stayed there!

Had a quick look on the Mobil UK site and they say run 5w30 ESP.

But I am a Mobil user is several vehicles and if you want to run 0w40 then why not.

Jeff

M1 0w-40 is one of the most certified oils on earth. Give it a shot if you like. It isn't going to hurt.

Thanks Everyone for your replies. Who would have thought making a decision would be so dificult haha.

Out od curiousity is the PU all hype then? Or are people saying M1 is as good? PU claims to run cleaner and you don't see a rebutle from Mobil sssoooo??? Haha

Yeah I poking the fire on purpose....blame my curiousity...

Jeff

It's hard to prove those types of claims. If they're both the same API classification, you know they are both at least meeting some minimum level.

I would not obsess over this any further. Both are excellent.

I found this offf of Penzoils own website which I thought should be posted. Really small print at the bottom haha..

Based on ASTM Sequence IIIG piston deposit test using SAE 5W-30. Does not apply to Pennzoil Ultra™ Euro or Pennzoil Ultra™ 0W-40. Pennzoil Ultra™

So what does this mean? Their own claim to fame only applies to 5w30?? How is all this legal so missleading to the general public.

0w40 M1 is the easiest for me to find locally. Thats whats going in. I just thought the obove mentioned was interesting haha.

Jeff

Euro-spec oils are always different than the more mundane 5w30 (with HTHS around 3.0). Just look at Royal Purple -- all their oils are SN, except the 5w40 and 0w40 which are SM.

PU 5W-40 is probably a fine oil, but considering the price there's no reason to use it over GC or M1 0W-40 which are on sale constantly. The 0W oils are also advantageous in freezing climates.

I have been doing allot of research on the M1 0w40 in the VW forums an seems it shears very quickly as does the castrol 5w40. One sample of a guys GTI with M1 sheared to a 30w after 4800 miles.

Now I'm not sue what to use again. How good is it to have the VW approval if it isn't going to last the recommended 10K intervals? Not that I would go 10k miles I wanted to go 5k but at the looks of things I may need to go 3k miles.

Jeff

I have been doing allot of research on the M1 0w40 in the VW forums an seems it shears very quickly as does the castrol 5w40. One sample of a guys GTI with M1 sheared to a 30w after 4800 miles.

Now I'm not sue what to use again. How good is it to have the VW approval if it isn't going to last the recommended 10K intervals? Not that I would go 10k miles I wanted to go 5k but at the looks of things I may need to go 3k miles.

Jeff

TSI is not dilution monster like TFSI was, but still it does dilutes oil. It does not matter what kind of oil puts, you will have problem with fuel dillution.
I saw several UOA's where Rotella T6 showed very strong cst after 10k. However, T6 is pretty heavy oil and my concern is cold start.
I used that oil in my friends Passat 1.8T. I was putting in that car GC but it startet to burn like 1qt in 1k. Reason was not oil, but poor condition of engine. I switche dto T6 and consumption went down a lot.
Now, cold start compare to GC was horrible. You could hear hydro lifters for 2-3secs, while GC would have very smooth cold start.
Now, I used GC in my previous 1.8T, very happy!
When i bought CC I used M1 forst time. That was during spring in Alabama, which means morning temperatures in 70's. No issues, changed oil after 5k. Then used GC, also no issues, changed oil after 5K. Then fall come and used M1 again, and then I saw that once morning temps go below 60, I hear hydro lifters. After 5k went back to GC, never heard lifters, even when I was moving to CA and spent night in New Mexico, cold start at 16 degrees was very smooth.
If you use M1, GC, PU 5W40 or whatever, with the U.S. gas that is not as clean as EU gasoline, I would change after 5-7k!

See how confusing this is? Haha. Now I have read that GC isn't vw approved or is it? I will need to pick up a bottle and see. I don't mean the old "meets or exceeds" line. I mean the VW stamp on the back. Now your saying with M1 0w40 your lifters clacked but with 0w30 it didn't. Now I was told by the dealer that factory fill is Syntec 5w40. If that is the case regardless if its syntec oe or spt or whatever I am sure the vis of the 5w40 is the same. Where I live we had a cold front come through here in the socal desert and it was 27F one morning. My car sits out and had ice all over the hood and roof. When I started the car no lifter tick at all! So maybe, just maybe VW knows what they are doing and using syntec 5w40 wouldn't be a bad thing? As UOA's show that the syntec falls pretty fast after 5k miles so I am thinking now syntec 5w40 every 3k and do UOA's of my own to see how it holds up?

Thoughts on this idea??

Jeff

See how confusing this is? Haha. Now I have read that GC isn't vw approved or is it? I will need to pick up a bottle and see. I don't mean the old "meets or exceeds" line. I mean the VW stamp on the back. Now your saying with M1 0w40 your lifters clacked but with 0w30 it didn't. Now I was told by the dealer that factory fill is Syntec 5w40. If that is the case regardless if its syntec oe or spt or whatever I am sure the vis of the 5w40 is the same. Where I live we had a cold front come through here in the socal desert and it was 27F one morning. My car sits out and had ice all over the hood and roof. When I started the car no lifter tick at all! So maybe, just maybe VW knows what they are doing and using syntec 5w40 wouldn't be a bad thing? As UOA's show that the syntec falls pretty fast after 5k miles so I am thinking now syntec 5w40 every 3k and do UOA's of my own to see how it holds up?

Thoughts on this idea??

Jeff

GC is on the list! I changed oil today, put GC, it has approval from VW, and that is one of the three versions of European Castrol 0W30. We get this version, in EU you can find also TD 0W30 and regular version with MID-SAPS.
For the U.S. market, 2.0T comes with 5W40, for EU market comes with 5W30!
Now, after your post I have noooo idea what you trying to say. However, generally, SPT 5W40 is inferior to GC simply because it is Group III oil, and lacks MB approval 229.5.

I mean just being the devils advocate here but VW group has the buying power to choose whichever oil they want but they chose castrol for some odd ball reason and its not to save money. Is that why Porsche (vw group) chooses M1? Is that why Mercedes chooses M1? To save money? I think not. Then we can argue "but in Germany their oil is better" Castrol USA denies that and the castrol OE oil that is "dealer only" says made in the USA on the bottle.

Wow this is crazy stuff. I may just keep it simple and keep the castrol 5w40 in my car change it every 3000-5000 miles and I think the car will run forever just like any other well maintained car.

Thoughts?

Jeff

Last edited:
What I was trying to say is you used M1 0w40 inthe winter and said you had lifter tick. When you used GC 0w30 it went away when it was cold. Well 27F is pretty cold to me and with Castrol 5w40 I had no lifter tick at all. That is what I was trying to say. So is it that the oil that carries the most approvals the "better oil" seems that is what people are trying to get at? Redline carries no approvals so its no good? Mmmmmm

Again devils advocate.

If my car wasn't under warranty I would be using Redline 5w30 no questions asked.

Jeff

Last edited:
One more thing to note is that the manual states no where that 0w30 or 0w40 may be used but does state as long as the oil used meets VW 504, 503 or 502 it may be used.

I'm curious how GC 0w30 is a euro oil as is 5w40 but yet are totally different? Is that just because its made in Germany? If that's the case then maybe I should be looking at Motul or liquid Molly that both are German I believe? Is "german" oil really that much better? Or is it just better on paper?

Jeff

One more thing to note is that the manual states no where that 0w30 or 0w40 may be used but does state as long as the oil used meets VW 504, 503 or 502 it may be used.

I'm curious how GC 0w30 is a euro oil as is 5w40 but yet are totally different? Is that just because its made in Germany? If that's the case then maybe I should be looking at Motul or liquid Molly that both are German I believe? Is "german" oil really that much better? Or is it just better on paper?

Jeff

Man, you have 100's of posts where you can find answers on your questions.
Honestly, after this I think you are just trolling forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back