VW GTI 2.0T TSI Engine Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I am leaning towards the PU because I have heard some folks had bad experiences with M1 in this TSI motor. I know its not fair to say that since I don't know the facts, but just hearing it tainted my judgement. If I was a huge M1 Fan I would use it regardless, but I am not partial to any brand. I just like to use what works. I am new to the Euro car requirements as I was used to driving my Evo's. In my Evo's I ran Redline 5w30 with ZERO issues and the UOA's lookd fantasitic and I would use Redline in a heartbeat IF it had the WV stanp on it. I know Redline is a quality oil, but this car is under warranty and I just don't want the hassle of argueing with dealers that just don't know any better. So I am sticking to something that is approved. The M1 is also a weight that isn't in the manual to use. I know I can use it, but the manual doesn't spec for a 0w40 even though it carries the vw 502.00 approval. Does the M1 and the PU have the same approvals? I believe last I saw the Penzoil site they had more approvals listed than M1 did. Does that mean anything? As for Castrol, they are just telling me its factory fill, and our product was chosen by VW. I am sure there is more to it than that, haha. Decisions, Decisions. haha it was easier for me to pick the car than the oil for it!!! haha

Jeff

Originally Posted By: Finklejag
The dealers are now using Castrol Edge Pro 5W-40. It's fine oil, but it doesn't meet the Mercedes 229.5 spec. Mobil 1 0W-40 and Pennzoil Euro 5W-40 do. For price. I would buy Mobil 1 0W-40. You can get it for $2.00 a quart cheaper then the Pennzoil. Autozone has 5 quarts of Mobil 1 and a Mobil 1 filter for $33.99. They don't make a filter for our TSI. I return the filter and then the oil comes out to $4.58 a quart.

I been in the VW fan over the last 13 years. Their dealer network is their weak link. There are very few good dealers out there. The only time I bring in my car for service, is when I have a warranty issue. I do all my oil changes myself. I know what's going in my car. I know the drain bolt won't be stripped. I know the oil filter won't be tighten by a wrench, etc etc.

001-2.jpg

was curious too is there a drain bolt crush washer that has to be changed every oil change too? or does it have a bolt with a washer togther type of thing? Otherwords, is there a drain bolt washer I need to buy when I buy my oil filters?

Jeff

you can reuse the bolt/washer as it is not a crush-type washer.

In order to remove the washer, you have to cut it off, then you can use copper crush washers and replace them with every oil change.

Option 2 is replace the bolt/washer

Option 3 is Fumoto Oil Drain Valve

Option 4 is suck the oil through the dipstick

It doesn't make a difference what weight the oil is. If it's VW 502 approved. Then the dealer can't do anything. The VW 502 spec comes in 0W-30, 5W-30, 0W-40, and 5W-40. VW doesn't even use 5W-40 any more in Europe.

I believe the 2013 drain plugs use a Allen key. The 10-12 used a 19mm bolt. The oil filter looks like this. Real easy to remove. Zero oil comes out of it.

41Z85BWVxYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

My car isn't a Autobahn. I sport the plaid.

It doesn't make a difference what weight the oil is. If it's VW 502 approved. Then the dealer can't do anything. The VW 502 spec comes in 0W-30, 5W-30, 0W-40, and 5W-40. VW doesn't even use 5W-40 any more in Europe.

I believe the 2013 drain plugs use a Allen key. The 10-12 used a 19mm bolt. The oil filter looks like this. Real easy to remove. Zero oil comes out of it.

They still using 5W40.
VW still offers various engines that runs on 5W40 and on some markets in Europe where gas is not that clean like in Germany, they apply the U.S. approach, High-SAPS or Mid-SAPS oils for TSI engines

I have a 2012 GTI and have just over 11,000 miles on it. At about 5,000 I changed out the factory fill with Mobil 1 0-40 and did the free dealer change at about 9,000 miles. Not exactly sure what they put in but sure it is Castrol. I have 5 quarts of Mobil 1 waiting for next change. Haven't noticed any differences and it appears my car isn't burning any oil between changes. Original drain plug was a hex plug and dealer put a conventional plug in unrequested by me. Mobil 1 0-40 seems to get some love on golfmk6.com forums. Cheapest and easiest to find for me so that is why I am using it. Also, no way would I go with 10K only changes especially with doing a few track days a year and driving it spiritedly quite often. Enjoy it...I surely do and my two little kids often request we take "the fun road" home.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
I must admit though, I will miiss the 11 sec 1/4's though,those were fun haha. $1200 for tires every 3 months I wont miss though haha.

Jeff

That's $400 a month for tires...that's $100 a WEEK for tires....that's INSANE...

Originally Posted By: pbm
I must admit though, I will miiss the 11 sec 1/4's though,those were fun haha. $1200 for tires every 3 months I wont miss though haha.

Jeff

That's $400 a month for tires...that's $100 a WEEK for tires....that's INSANE...

Oh and I didn't mention the Brake Pads at $100 a corner either, haha.

Exactly right my car does have a Torque drain plug bolt. Who makes the OEM VW Filters anyway? Anyone know?

Jeff

I have read so many up and downs on M1 with the TSI engine I am up in the air on what to use. M1 would be the easiest to obtain since the local Wal-Mart stocks it, but why all the hate/love for M1 on the VW forums?

Here on BITOG M1 0w40 is what seems to be used in the "Holy Grale". I know M1 is good stuff I have used it off and on for over 20 yrs, not the 0w40 but other weights. Is the whole PU cleans 25% better than M1 not apply to the 0w40?? Cause if it was a lie you would think Penzoil would be getting sued by now.

Thoughts??

Jeff

I have read so many up and downs on M1 with the TSI engine I am up in the air on what to use. M1 would be the easiest to obtain since the local Wal-Mart stocks it, but why all the hate/love for M1 on the VW forums?

Here on BITOG M1 0w40 is what seems to be used in the "Holy Grale". I know M1 is good stuff I have used it off and on for over 20 yrs, not the 0w40 but other weights. Is the whole PU cleans 25% better than M1 not apply to the 0w40?? Cause if it was a lie you would think Penzoil would be getting sued by now.

Thoughts??

Jeff

That comparison was based on 5w30 and the statement was UP TO 25% better
wink.gif

I would love a GTI but they are $60k new here. And those dollars are even harder to earn than they are in the USA.

The test with PU was indeed a 5w30 but it does seem PU does carry more factory approvals though if that means anything? I have heard wwwaaayyyy too much about M1 in the TSI motor its mind boggling. I know in the Evo world that I'm used to being in M1 was used often and was factory fill for the evo. When I began modding my Evo and HP/TQ doubled over OEM I switched from M1 to Redline. I did notice with the redline over M1 in that particular application the Redline oil ran cooler. I would not only notice on my oil temp guge but when my Evo was connected to my laptop driving around doing Data logs for use for future tunes. I would use Redline in the GTI but Redline doesn't have the certifications though I know it would pass with flying colors. the fact is though this new GTI is under warranty and I will not mod this car so I need to stick to oils that meet the VW approval which the M1 does. So the huge debate within myself haha. If it was up to me and not VW I would be running Redline 5w30.

Jeff

Originally Posted By: jigen
Hopefully more posts develop on how M1 would not be ideal. I'm using it in the same engine right now.

Your car will be fine with the M1. All I have heard that is bad about it in the TSI engine is oil consumption. Why exactly I am not sure since the 0w and 5w are near the same at start up. Unless the M1 shears so much that its slipping past the pistons....I really don't know. Just keep an eye on the oil level.

Jeff

Everyone thanks for all your input. I have a tendancy to make tings more dificult than they have to be. Part of my OCD I supose.

I think all the oil mentioned are good oils. I believe we all are seeking that "perfect" oil for our cars. The thing I need to remember is that there just may not be a "perfect" oil for all applications.

I do like M1 and the 0w40 is very much respected here on BITOG. PU seems to be the semi new kid on the block that's trying to "one up" the old man (M1) but later realizes that the old man is giving a tough fight.

Castrol? What can I say. Its OEM fill for my VW but I'm just not a fan of syntec anything. Brand bias I guess, but how many "good" things have you heard about Castrol anything other than the OG "green" GC 0w30 that you can't get anymore (new type is amber) or GTX which isn't synthetic so I won't even use it. Castrol is one of the kids that doesn't cause problems but isn't a stand out either. Does that make sense?

That's why I'm here to pick all your brains where is my old friend johnny the penzoil guy from this site? Wouldbe nice to hear him chime in on this...

Jeff

The test with PU was indeed a 5w30 but it does seem PU does carry more factory approvals though if that means anything?

Which grade of PU has more approvals than the equivalent grade of M1? Normally they are pretty much identical.......
21.gif

but how many "good" things have you heard about Castrol anything other than the OG "green" GC 0w30 that you can't get anymore (new type is amber)

Gold GC is still a very respectable oil. I wouldn't hesitate to use it in your application.

Everyone thanks for all your input. I have a tendancy to make tings more dificult than they have to be. Part of my OCD I supose.

I think all the oil mentioned are good oils. I believe we all are seeking that "perfect" oil for our cars. The thing I need to remember is that there just may not be a "perfect" oil for all applications.

I do like M1 and the 0w40 is very much respected here on BITOG. PU seems to be the semi new kid on the block that's trying to "one up" the old man (M1) but later realizes that the old man is giving a tough fight.

Castrol? What can I say. Its OEM fill for my VW but I'm just not a fan of syntec anything. Brand bias I guess, but how many "good" things have you heard about Castrol anything other than the OG "green" GC 0w30 that you can't get anymore (new type is amber) or GTX which isn't synthetic so I won't even use it. Castrol is one of the kids that doesn't cause problems but isn't a stand out either. Does that make sense?

That's why I'm here to pick all your brains where is my old friend johnny the penzoil guy from this site? Wouldbe nice to hear him chime in on this...

Jeff

I used M1 and GC. What I can say is that GC IMO is better oil. Cold start is much better. With M1 I always have rattling sound if it is below 60 degrees, with GC I do not have that issue.
Do not get me wrong, both oils are good, but to say that GC is nothing special after all those UOA's etc....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back