VW Grand Cherokee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jetronic
not really, esc sensitivity is usually dierent between ride modes, with or without adjustable suspension.

I would think so, but then I would expect the change in damping would affect the outcome/behaviour.

well, the sportier cars with the arguably stiffer damping don't attain higher speeds in the maneouver... Sedans do just as well.

Maybe the damping doesn't have much influence?

well, the sportier cars with the arguably stiffer damping don't attain higher speeds in the maneouver... Sedans do just as well.

Perhaps. Maybe more spring-related?

Damping is what keeps the momentum transfer from the hard left right under control. Not enough damping is what helps put the GC up on two wheels.
Why some sports cars and sedans run equal speeds through the test, probably shows that given reasonably good damping and spring rates, the electronic aids are a bigger factor than a slightly lower centre of gravity.

I'm curious if the GC had the Quadra-lift air suspension. I was with my dad in his 2013 GC and we had to make a quick maneuver on the highway once from a car spinning out and going into our lane. We were doing probably 70-75mph and it handled it fine, but it also has the air suspension which lowers a bit on the highway, and the 18" wheels/tires. The one in the video looks like it has the 20" wheels/tires. Not sure what the difference would be, if any.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Once you're not grossly under dampended, I guess it doesn't matter all that much. And stiffer springs might reduce grip? After all ESC jumps in when grip is lost somewhere by removing grip elsewhere and creating a different momentum.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Once you're not grossly under dampended, I guess it doesn't matter all that much. And stiffer springs might reduce grip? After all ESC jumps in when grip is lost somewhere by removing grip elsewhere and creating a different momentum.

I would expect the stiffer springs from preventing the front-left from cratering so hard in that turn that it caused the bead to break on the rim though. It really has me curious as to how the platform mate Mercedes products did in the test, as significantly different performance gives us something to look at.

I noticed some very different behaviour between cars.

Some brands brake the car so har it's actually in a crawl by the time they go back to the original lane. Audi/VW specifically. Others seem not to slow down much at all.

It's hard to find videos about older cars. ADAC did the following , also on wet roads:

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I don't know what the moose test is but I'm not too concerned with encountering one as I drive around Arizona.
grin2.gif

All I know is I'm coming up on two years of ownership and couldn't be happier. It's comfortable, it drives great, looks great and is one of my favorite vehicles I have owned.

I'll second that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back