VW Grand Cherokee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: madRiver
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
They actually don’t look at all similar to me.
Not sure how a 2.0T Atlas is going to perform, but the VR6 should too well.
I bet the VR6 will be a fuel pig compared to Honda, Toyota, Mazda etc.....
Disagree on fuel economy, since VW has miraculously kept the weight down to 4,400 lbs curb. Should mean its a pig 'lite'. The current Touareg weights 4,700 lbs by comparison, and Grand Cherokee is 4,500 lbs.
Also, the 2.0L should be fine on performance, since it gets peak torque at a much lower RPM than the revvy VR6, and about the same amount of peak torque too.

Lol! The VW fanboys are on here looking through their rose-colored glasses and just can't think outside the box and see the resemblance.

Looks like a design copy to me.

I'd take the Grand Cherokee any day over that other one.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Lol! The VW fanboys are on here looking through their rose-colored glasses and just can't think outside the box and see the resemblance.

Seems to me that the Jeep fan boys are indignant that someone dared to make an SUV with a third row... And a new design too! You don't see those often in FCA land. What was their last all new car? The Dart/200, that's right. What a pair of winners.

Jeeps have always been [censored] - I always assumed that's what "it's a Jeep thing" meant.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I see are two white SUVs... And that's where the similarities end.

I'll take the VW. Better styling, better driving dynamics, more interior space, better build quality, and I'd put good money down that it'll last longer and with less issues than that FCA P.O.S.

LOL! Challenge accepted! When are you buying yours so we can compare?

If I needed to replace the Volvo I just bought, I truly would be in the Atlas.

We test drove the GC and hated it.
21.gif

Which one? There are a myriad of different trim levels with varying levels of comfort and interior materials. My boss's wife just traded her Audi Q7 in on a GC with the 5.7L. Nicely appointed of course. Remember, the GC (and Durango) is on a shared platform with Mercedes ML/GLE, it is not a FIAT platform.

Given your rather obvious disdain for Jeep though, based on your numerous comments, it surprises me that you would even entertain seat time in one, unless the purpose of that exercise was for situations such as this where you could honestly reply to a thread indicating that you indeed had test driven one and "hated it". Sounds the furthest thing from objective, though I applaud you for the attempt at honesty, as jaded as it might be.

Seems to me that the Jeep fan boys are indignant that someone dared to make an SUV with a third row... And a new design too! You don't see those often in FCA land. What was their last all new car? The Dart/200, that's right. What a pair of winners.

Jeeps have always been [censored] - I always assumed that's what "it's a Jeep thing" meant.

You realize that the Durango, which is on the same platform/in the same family as the JGC, has a third row right? Talk about fabricating some self-serving conjecture served with a nice side of hyperbole to prop up the apparent notion that one can only validate their brand choice through the condemnation of its rivals. Bravo!

VW can stick to small cars. Grand cherokee SRT model please. Too bad they cost so much $$$

Yes I am aware there is a Durango, and no, I didn't think it was anything to write home about either. I did also clearly say "Jeep" in my post you quoted. Is there a Jeep Durango? It is also a hilariously old design that they keep limping along, same as the GC.

Again, are there any new designs in FCA-land? Their "best" cars are heavily based on other's.

The GC I entertained was a '16 5.7. My wife had the curiosity, not me. She was disappointed, and my opinions were reaffirmed.

Sorry if my opinions hurt feelings, but that's all they are. Quite frankly, they shouldn't affect anyone.

You realize that the Durango, which is on the same platform/in the same family as the JGC, has a third row right? Talk about fabricating some self-serving conjecture served with a nice side of hyperbole to prop up the apparent notion that one can only validate their brand choice through the condemnation of its rivals. Bravo!

It's truly amusing someone calling out Chrysler for being a POS over a VW. That's gotta be most expensive to own, problem prone mass produced automaker there is.

I see are two white SUVs... And that's where the similarities end.

I'll take the VW. Better styling, better driving dynamics, more interior space, better build quality, and I'd put good money down that it'll last longer and with less issues than that FCA P.O.S.

LOL! Challenge accepted! When are you buying yours so we can compare?

I'd love to see the outcome. I'll be betting on the Jeep.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

crackmeup2.gif
I am definitely not a Mopar fan. My Jeep is an AMC design with an AMC engine and an Aisin transmission.

I was just saying between the two I'd take the Grand Cherokee any day.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12

It's truly amusing someone calling out Chrysler for being a POS over a VW. That's gotta be most expensive to own, problem prone mass produced automaker there is.

^ this.
the comments of the bashers/ extreme fanboys are funny -- that's why our group likes these threads.we all know that the intelligent and the above-average-intelligence bitogers are not bashers. 'nuff said.
overkill -- always read one's sig.
have a good night, all.

Yes I am aware there is a Durango, and no, I didn't think it was anything to write home about either.

So you were aware that there was a JGC sibling (same company, wearing a Dodge grille rather than a Jeep one) with a third row, but still tried to use that flaccid excuse that somehow Jeep owners, who could simply buy the Durango if they wanted the third row, were somehow irked by the VW having one?
crazy2.gif

I did also clearly say "Jeep" in my post you quoted. Is there a Jeep Durango? It is also a hilariously old design that they keep limping along, same as the GC.

Yes, and since Jeep and Dodge are both FCA brands, sold from the same lot, one would hopefully not be naive enough to make the leap that somehow the Durango would not be a viable third row option for somebody looking at the JGC but needing extra seating. Why that's the very reason we have the Durango instead of two GC's! LMAO!!!

The W166/WK2 platform didn't see a Mercedes, Jeep or Dodge product made on it until 2011. The present Touareg platform started in 2010. Is that subsequently even more "hilariously old"?

Again, are there any new designs in FCA-land? Their "best" cars are heavily based on other's.

What is the JGC based on? It is a shared platform with Mercedes, with both families debuting on the same platform around the same period. They are not "based on" each other.

The GC I entertained was a '16 5.7. My wife had the curiosity, not me. She was disappointed, and my opinions were reaffirmed.
Of course they were, I'd expect nothing less.

Sorry if my opinions hurt feelings, but that's all they are. Quite frankly, they shouldn't affect anyone.

They don't hurt feelings, they just seem to be mostly perverted fabrications from a guy that is a fan of a brand that doesn't have a reputation that is all that stellar. Unlike you, I'm not here slagging VW, I actually enjoy some of their products. That's the beauty of not being personally invested to the point of having to call everybody else's products junk to feel good about my purchasing decisions.

Oh... You're upset that I'm dogging Jeep because that's what you own. And you own a Durango! I apologize that I personally don't care for your two vehicles or the manufacturers that you chose to patronize as a whole.

I see your signature and that you're personally invested. Now I understand your defensive remarks and attempts to get a rise out of me.

I'm painted as a fan boy because of my username, and while it may be true that I have enjoyed a large number of VWs, the only VW made today that I would personally buy is the Atlas and well, I'm enjoying my new Volvo.

It's funny - nothing I have said here is something I would consider bashing... But whenever ANY German manufacturer is brought up here the vitriol flows unchecked. Say anything against Toyota, Honda, GM, or Ford and you're an outsider. I get it. I never though I would see someone so vehemently defending FCA... a company who's cars a very near the bottom of every reliability survey.

I'll see myself out. Enjoy your echo chamber.

You should take new Giulia on a drive. You will be surprised. It is a completely new platform, and it's absolutely brilliant.

Oh... You're upset that I'm dogging Jeep because that's what you own. And you own a Durango! I apologize that I personally don't care for your two vehicles or the manufacturers that you chose to patronize as a whole.

Not upset, I just find your comments long on hyperbole and conjecture but rather short on facts. You called the platform ancient for example, yet it is newer than the present VW SUV platform.

I see your signature and that you're personally invested. Now I understand your defensive remarks and attempts to get a rise out of me.

LOL! Nice attempt at trying to turn that around. These are both recent purchases. Prior to them we had an Expedition, two Chargers, an M5, 328i, Lincoln Town Car, F-250, Mustang....etc. I'm not invested at all, I could just as soon have had another bimmer, as an X5M would have fit the bill nicely. Heck, I cross-shopped a Tesla as well. My wife got the Durango because SHE wanted one, and I liked it enough to trade the Charger in on the SRT, as it was a screaming deal that made sense with respect to the situation we were in with the Expedition. Not that your comments warrant an explanation as to how we arrived at having both of these vehicles, but for the sake of others who may not be familiar with the backstory, that's it.

I'm painted as a fan boy because of my username, and while it may be true that I have enjoyed a large number of VWs, the only VW made today that I would personally buy is the Atlas and well, I'm enjoying my new Volvo.

No, you are being called a fanboy because you are mindlessly slagging another brand in defence of another. Instead of engaging in an exchange exploring the merits and detractors you immediately began slinging dung like a primate.

It's funny - nothing I have said here is something I would consider bashing...

You and the rest of us obviously have very different ideas as to what constitutes bashing then:
I'd put good money down that it'll last longer and with less issues than that FCA P.O.S.

Seems to me that the Jeep fan boys are indignant that someone dared to make an SUV with a third row... And a new design too! You don't see those often in FCA land.

What was their last all new car? The Dart/200, that's right. What a pair of winners.

Yeah, none of that is bashing, right? Good Lord...

But whenever ANY German manufacturer is brought up here the vitriol flows unchecked.

I'm a big fan of, and defender of German marques in general. I do some IT work for the local Mercedes dealership and have owned two BMW's. It's unfortunate that you are so jaded that the content of your exchanges have devolved into what I've observed in this thread.

Say anything against Toyota, Honda, GM, or Ford and you're an outsider. I get it. I never though I would see someone so vehemently defending FCA... a company who's cars a very near the bottom of every reliability survey.

You obviously haven't seen my comments about other FCA vehicles then.

I'll see myself out. Enjoy your echo chamber.

Enjoy your exit. If you ever want to, or are able to, set aside your bias, preconceived notions and stockpiled offence that has left you so bent out of shape and have an honest discussion I'll be here.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Also - isn't the Atlas just a big Jetta?

No.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Pretty sure they are front wheel drive.

No again - unless you are speaking about the 2.0T, 2.0T loses 3000lbs of towing and is not available 4 motion. 2.0T is late introduction too.

Atlas is built on MQB “platform” which less an actual platform and more a modular way of design. The next Jetta will move to this as well.

Sideways engine = FWD. You can put on a PDU but it's still a front wheel drive setup. I was making that comparison to confirm it is not related to the JGC

I was driving by the local VW dealer yesterday, so I figured I would drive through the lot to see if they had one - no luck. Looking at the pictures online, even the interior looks like the Grand Cherokee! The grill is different in the front but all the sheetmetal is the same shape, the tailights are the same shape, it even has the rectangular exhaust outlets the JGC has.

Oddly, the engine is mounted longitudinally and it's FWD - setup like a Chrysler LH? And the engine is cast iron with aluminium heads, I didn't know any of those were still around.

dbgcUYJ.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back