VW Grand Cherokee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Agree, same s...
But, still, comparing to pick up truck? Not high bar.

I'm pretty sure I saw a Ram truck in that Toyota video, that passed the test with no problems.

You did. Along with a number of other trucks.

I'm curious how the Mercedes SUV's do, given they are the same platform as the Jeep.

Agree, same s...

I'm pretty sure I saw a Ram truck in that Toyota video, that passed the test with no problems.

Not sure what Toyota has to do with this? People here compared VW to GC, so just threw in 2 cents.
But again, ti could be competition which one handles the worst, so in that case, yeah, make sense to compare them.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Agree, same s...

I'm curious how the Mercedes SUV's do, given they are the same platform as the Jeep.

I am pretty sure it passed. Since A class debacle, MB is probably taking Moose test most serious of all tests.
But again, here discussion was VW and GC, you also saw Touareg in that video.

Agree, same s...

I am pretty sure it passed. Since A class debacle, MB is probably taking Moose test most serious of all tests.

Interesting enough, the Porsche (VW family) Macan failed it:

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/10/14/porsche-macan-fails-moose-test-video/

I can't seem to find a video of the Mercedes SUV's other than the latest coupe style in the test
21.gif

I can't seem to find a video of the Mercedes SUV's other than the latest coupe style in the test
21.gif

It's not a bad engineering solution though, just take the grip away from the tire that going to cause the rollover. It's already dodged the moose, so what's a few more feet before you get back into your lane.
The GC just has too soft shocks, so it transfers its high mass unhindered to the other side and bounces like a kid on a trampoline.
I'm sure yours has more grip and is much closer to rollover in a steady state turn than a normal GC even with its lowering, but in the moose test the mass of the body is damped by the shocks and less likely to overturn than a normal GC.

A bit late to the party, but finding it a slight bit epic that the two most problem automakers are battling it out here....

That said, every automaker has their issues...

My vote: Jeep/Dodge. Why? Actually plan to use it for something useful like towing and things I know it can handle.....

I don't know what the moose test is but I'm not too concerned with encountering one as I drive around Arizona.
grin2.gif

All I know is I'm coming up on two years of ownership and couldn't be happier. It's comfortable, it drives great, looks great and is one of my favorite vehicles I have owned.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I don't know what the moose test is but I'm not too concerned with encountering one as I drive around Arizona.
grin2.gif

All I know is I'm coming up on two years of ownership and couldn't be happier. It's comfortable, it drives great, looks great and is one of my favorite vehicles I have owned.

The Moose test that is conducted by these Swedes is responsible for your ESP in your car.
It is after Euro NCAP by far the most important test conducted on vehicles in Europe. It is called Moose test, but for your environment you can call it "coyote" test
smile.gif

Quote:

21.gif

It is surprising from Porsche (regardless of their explanation). When I was watching GC in that test the first thing that came to my mind was failure of Hyundai Galloper that was based on Mitsubishi Pajero from 80's. This was in the end of 90's. What Hyundai did was taking pretty much unchanged Pajero, putting its own badge, equipping with Hankook tires and send it to market.
Problem? Suspension was not changed from 80's at all to match hi-tech tires for that time. Tires were gripping like nuts and car would go into rollover instead of skid.
I do not buy that argument above that it is only due to soft shocks. I think GC suspension as a whole is too soft, and then equipped with probably tires that are overwhelming suspension because they bite better (in Europe GC comes with grippier tires for HWY use then in the U.S. ) and at limits it goes into that behavior.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: IndyIan

It's not a bad engineering solution though, just take the grip away from the tire that going to cause the rollover. It's already dodged the moose, so what's a few more feet before you get back into your lane.

My impression from the article was that the behaviour was unacceptable because it would either put you in the rhubarb on the other side of the road or straight into oncoming traffic.

The GC just has too soft shocks, so it transfers its high mass unhindered to the other side and bounces like a kid on a trampoline.

Which has me curious as to which one they tested, as the R/T has adjustable suspension and in sport mode has significantly firmer damping. Would that change the behaviour?

I'm sure yours has more grip and is much closer to rollover in a steady state turn than a normal GC even with its lowering, but in the moose test the mass of the body is damped by the shocks and less likely to overturn than a normal GC.

You are likely correct, however I still find the test results interesting and would really like to see what a chassis sibling Mercedes looks like in the same test.

Can you imagine a 90's Explorer or Jimmy/Blazer doing this? LOL!!! What about a Suzuki Samurai?
crazy2.gif

Can you imagine a 90's Explorer or Jimmy/Blazer doing this? LOL!!! What about a Suzuki Samurai?
crazy2.gif

Well on the Exploder, the Firestones would pop and it would flip into the woods.
lol.gif

My impression from the article was that the behaviour was unacceptable because it would either put you in the rhubarb on the other side of the road or straight into oncoming traffic.

Which has me curious as to which one they tested, as the R/T has adjustable suspension and in sport mode has significantly firmer damping. Would that change the behaviour?

You are likely correct, however I still find the test results interesting and would really like to see what a chassis sibling Mercedes looks like in the same test.

crazy2.gif

Yeah, alot of the old body on frame SUV with semi off road capable suspension wouldn't do well! If you put on some much stiffer shocks and left the springs alone, I'd think the GC in the moose test would do much better.
GM was pretty serious with trying to keep my 03 Tracker right side up, with very stiff front springs and struts, a good size front sway bar, soft rear springs and no rear sway bar and 26 psi tires... Also the front brakes probably did 90% of the stopping.
Closest I came to a moose test was avoiding a skunk, but I didn't feel the need to sling the car quite that violently and the back end stayed quite stuck and I ended up hitting the skunk... On a gravel road you could get it sideways by flicking it, but you had to try.
Anyways, I don't think the front ride quality from this setup would be acceptable in a GC, but it worked without any electronics. The CRV in comparison is a little scary how easily it will rotate on gravel, but the stability control system is quite effective.

crazy2.gif

European market, probably V6 diesel.

I'm actually impressed by this. FCA is the only car company that builds cars that can do wheelies and endos!
A set of sticky rubber would make things very interesting!

I found this:

The commentary suggests sports mode didn't change anything in this case. I like how that civic handles!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back