VW Did It Right- Key Fob

1694891373416.jpg
mine is like this one

Neat I just replaced battery for 2018 VW just today too. however it would not start without putting key against ignition column. No warning except key was not nearby message even though in car. It’s a yearly thing .

Neat I just replaced battery for 2018 VW just today too. however it would not start without putting key against ignition column. No warning except key was not nearby message even though in car. It’s a yearly thing .
I had an 18 Passat for 3 years but only had to replace the fob battery once, cr2032. Our 17 Edge is on original batteries maybe I should preemptively replace.

I had an 18 Passat for 3 years but only had to replace the fob battery once, cr2032. Our 17 Edge is on original batteries maybe I should preemptively replace.
These went out in 2 years...
Not bad I guess. Very easy to pop the case open. I might just do them yearly but my car is getting very old in Jimmy years 😆

Got the message this AM to replace my key fob battery on my 2021 VW
Typical motherboard CR2032 battery for which I keep several around for my computers.
Super easy using the valet key to flex the fob from inside- the fob panel pops off using no tools.
Super easy to do.
I wish. I got the surprise when the car didn't unlock. It was fun trying to pop the lock cover off without scratching the car in the pouring rain. I now keep a backup battery in my work bag.

Same with the 2016 Kia remote, it is often activated in my pocket. Lord knows how long the button(s)are pushed, depleting the 2032 prematurely. First time I had to do the start button proximity start.

I didn't see this before. 2018 GTI, exact same scenario. The weird thing is it had a couple of other odd electrical gremlins as well. It seemed like the key allowed it to start, but the radio wouldn't turn on and putting the car in gear wouldn't not engage the clutch in the DSG gearbox. It would free rev and roll like it was in neutral. I shut the car down and held the key against the designated spot on the column and that worked and allowed me to get the car home.

For out an about activities a faraday bag is clumsy if you're on your own and without your wife to put it in her purse though they do work but it's a band aid to a simple problem. And batteries should last at least 5-7 imo.

It also depends on the fob, don’t you think? A manual remote might last longer. A modern passive fob, maybe not as much.

It also depends on the fob, don’t you think? A manual remote might last longer. A modern passive fob, maybe not as much.
Uh yeah.. Non RS fobs lasted longer and with those low whr batteries like those little 3v cylindrical ones the 90's Ford fobs had. But just because a modern fob is RS doesn't mean it's okay for it to only last 1-3 years. A cr2450 wouldn't make the fob large enough to upset anyone if they were to even notice it was a bit wider and thicker because of the bigger battery but it would last much longer which just about any logical person would prefer if given the choice. A 2450 has 2.57x the whr capacity compared to the 2032 going by Energizers capacity numbers.

The big question is, why did you have to replace a battery on a 2021? These should last a lot longer.

I wish fobs were made with a cr 2450 and just made a touch wider and thicker as i don't like how skinny they've always been. The batteries don't last long with push start. Also wish there was a way to put it in sleep mode not to save battery but to prevent the signal from being spoofed from a distance and having your car stolen.
Put your fob in a metal box, or if required more than 1 box nested inside another. When your fob signal is blocked my enough metal the signal can not get out. Test to see if you are using enough metal by trying to see if the vehicle see the fob while it is in the boxes.

I put mine in a small silver jewelry box and I put a rubber band around that to make sure it stays all the way closed and then I put that in a cookie tin. Either one of those alone is not enough to block the signal but combined by nesting the smaller one inside the other one with the fob in the smaller one the car will not recognize the fob as being there. So there's no way for anyone to capture the signal to use that as a means of stealing the car.

An old iron Dutch oven with the lid on would probably be a great metal box to keep your fob in to block the signal from getting out.

Back