VW changed oil filter suppliers?

Admittedly I am not well versed in German oil filters, specifically regarding suppliers of VWAG's oil filters. I have just always assumed it was Mahle / Mann. I have done at least 6 oil changes on our VW's (past and current) equipped with the 1.4 TSI. This engine uses a spin on filter opposed to a cartridge. I have always used the OE oil filters on these and they have always been the same and all have been purchased through ECS Tuning. I just ordered another oil change kit from them (all OE parts) and I received a different oil filter. The baseplate, ADBV, pressure relieve valve and media backing are all different than the previous filters I have used, not to mention a different part number.

I am curious if anyone can identify the supplier of this new filter and if / when VW changed suppliers. Here are some pics of the old and new filters. Old design is listed first.

3B2A7BDB-6140-4E12-BB2F-5905F54D8380.jpeg
FB3284EC-FC56-4CDD-AF71-723894AE7F01.jpeg
769737F8-9DC4-4283-9EFD-0DB60E8D8B14.jpeg
C78D6348-9CDB-4109-94D0-15246C311FDB.jpeg
2C29ECB8-FC33-409D-8ACA-520F44C5F731.jpeg
4DED74E3-9084-4177-82DF-2FD203051423.jpeg

Attachments

• 37DB9DFE-17FF-40FB-ADB7-79C078D31743.jpeg
    37DB9DFE-17FF-40FB-ADB7-79C078D31743.jpeg
    103.5 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
It could also be Hengst.

It could also be a change of manufacture location that attributes to a revised part number also.

Agreed that first most certainly looks like a Mann filter. Can't comment on the second. It'll most certainly be a German manufacturer though.

Both filter look like great quality.

Made in Turkey was my new VW OE filter and it was wired backed in 2019.... Made in Germany was my MH dealer sourced VW filter. Media has been backed full synthetic since I got my 2019... so assuming earlier. MH/VAG had the press releases years ago how great the synth media was when compared to their allegedly pathetic MH cellulose media. MH learned about synthetic media after purchasing Wix and Purolator :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Its a great filter for your Toyotas and lawn tractors too.

And, since the engine uses a common 3/4-16 thread, use what you want but my VW gets the 2870a 3600 sized filters. Think I'm running a PBL20195 now.
ea211filter.jpeg

I've posted the synth vs cellulose media pictures before which were from the VAG/MH press releases. Did they switch from the WixXP media to the Puralator Boss media yet? 😉

cellusevssynth.jpg

cold flow vs psi.jpg

selfexplantory.jpg

Last edited:
I ran across a cut open one and did not like it as well as the MHL, but it is OE VW so it is likely fine. I just prefer the MHL ones.

Pretty sure the cut open one was on the 'TEX.
Maybe after I run it I’ll open it up.

Yup, seems like the 561H is out of stock everywhere. Additionally Mahle seem to be out of stock at aftermarket suppliers.

I ordered one of these to cut open, but i have a small pile of filters to cut so who knows when I will get around to it.

Got a couple of Mann (Green and Yellow box) from Blauparts. Appear identical to OE VW MHL except for markings. They are even Silver.

Got the FFA too but haven't looked at them.

Yup, seems like the 561H is out of stock everywhere. Additionally Mahle seem to be out of stock at aftermarket suppliers.

I ordered one of these to cut open, but i have a small pile of filters to cut so who knows when I will get around to it.
Looks like Rockauto has Mahle OC 977/1 and Hengst H317W01 available.

Looks like Rockauto has Mahle OC 977/1 and Hengst H317W01 available.
My only experience with Rock Auto was when I purchased an oil filter for our 2014 Jetta 1.8 TSI (cartridge). The filter I received was not glued properly so I requested a replacement. The second one had the same issue! Went to the dealer and got the same one but it was perfect. Never again.

My only experience with Rock Auto was when I purchased an oil filter for our 2014 Jetta 1.8 TSI (cartridge). The filter I received was not glued properly so I requested a replacement. The second one had the same issue! Went to the dealer and got the same one but it was perfect. Never again.

I just ordered a couple MANN W712/95's for a '16 Jetta 1.4T off Rock Auto (they were in the same ship location as the Wix filters I ordered for the Subuwu). They're exactly like the first OEM filter you posted, even made in Germany. Hard to tell from online, but the Mahle's and Hengst filters do not look like your second post. Not sure who may have supplied those. For now, I'm just gonna use the MANN's till they no longer sell them. Feels like a really solid filter

Back